Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Camera Discussion > New Pro-Class Compact GR Ricoh Experience(s)

New Pro-Class Compact GR Ricoh Experience(s) A forum where pro and amateurs can share and discuss their experience(s) with the Ricoh GR

Old October 7th, 2013, 04:40 AM

Default RICOH GR firmware update 2.03

Here is the 2.03 firmware update for the GR. It has some cool and interesting fixes...and includes a 47mm crop mode.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/engli...ital/gr_s.html
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/ "In fact I don't believe there is such a thing as a definitive picture of something. The land is a living, breathing thing and light changes its character every second of every day." - Fay Godwin "All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
Old October 7th, 2013, 06:39 AM

Hi, Paul,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Abbott View Post
Here is the 2.03 firmware update for the GR. It has some cool and interesting fixes...and includes a 47mm crop mode.
What does that mean?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug
Old October 7th, 2013, 09:22 AM

Hi, Paul,

I see now what the "47 mm crop mode" means.

It evidently means that the sensor image is "cropped" to give a field of view corresponding to that which would result from the use of a 47 mm focal length lens on a full-frame 35-mm film camera.

This is as contrasted with the basic "full-frame" mode of the GR, in which the field of view is that which would result from the use of a 28 mm focal length lens on a full-frame 35-mm film camera.

I would expect that in that mode, the highest available pixel layout of the output image is about 2700 px × 1945 px.

Very nice.

Best regards,

Doug
Old October 7th, 2013, 09:45 AM

Hey Doug, sorry I missed your initial post.
I think this 47mm crop comes in at a 5 mega-pixel affair. It's caught me by surprise, I really didn't expect to see RICOH offering an option like this. I suppose it could come in handy at some point...

The sensor is cropped and it looks like the DOF of the 18.5mm lens remains constant too. The highest pixel layout is 2912 x 1936 offering a 5.5 mega-pixel image approx. I think.
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/ "In fact I don't believe there is such a thing as a definitive picture of something. The land is a living, breathing thing and light changes its character every second of every day." - Fay Godwin "All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
Old October 7th, 2013, 09:51 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Abbott View Post

I think this 47mm crop comes in at a 5 mega-pixel affair. It's caught me by surprise, I really didn't expect to see RICOH offering an option like this. I suppose it could come in handy at some point...

The sensor is cropped and it looks like the DOF of the 18.5mm lens remains constant too. The highest pixel layout is 2912 x 1936 offering a 5.5 mega-pixel image approx. I think.
It makes sense in the situation where one only needs to capture what is in the center of the screen, but at the same perspective. In that case, one saves memory, (as long as only that section of the CMOS surface output is recorded).

Essentially, if one is not going to zoom with one's feet, then one is wasting storage space by keeping an entire frame! So for that, it's nifty................as long as one can assign it to a function button!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old October 7th, 2013, 10:01 AM

This is what I love about RICOH, they've made the camera that little bit more versatile I guess.
Imagine shooting with the 47mm crop in 1:1 format? Your looking at 2 or 3 mega-pixels approx., no?
I have my crop modes assigned to the 'Effect' button, it'll be a case of cycling through them now.
Old October 7th, 2013, 12:32 PM

Hi, Asher,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
It makes sense in the situation where one only needs to capture what is in the center of the screen, but at the same perspective. In that case, one saves memory, (as long as only that section of the CMOS surface output is recorded).

Essentially, if one is not going to zoom with one's feet, then one is wasting storage space by keeping an entire frame! So for that, it's nifty................as long as one can assign it to a function button!
Yes, makes much sense.

Best regards,

Doug
Old October 8th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Thanks for pointing to this new firmware Paul!
Old October 8th, 2013, 01:19 AM

Your welcome, Nicolas...