• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bay Bridge at Night - San Francisco, California '15

Paul Abbott

baybridge_nightlightdrawing900.jpg

Bay Bridge at Night - San Francisco, California '15 Paul Abbott
RICOH GR

Paul Abbott

Thanks for the replies, Cem and Asher.

The layered vertical lines are not what I expected to occur really. They certainly weren't directed by my hand. It could so easily have turned out a mess but it didn't...they're appears to be a sense of order and repetition within the chaos and the double image of the bridge is nice. For me, it is a very unique image, and has made a somewhat Bay Bridge which lacked colour by way of a single string of lights spanning it's length, into something a little more spectacular.

I will reply to your PM in a short while, Asher. Many thanks...

Doug Kerr

Hi, Paul,

You flood us this morning with wondrous works of San Francisco. What a wonderful range of outlooks and techniques.

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful work with us.

Best regards,

Doug

Andy brown

Paul, it is a stunning image and as much as I'm appreciating your b+ w's of the bridge, I find this one more exciting for it's creativity and whimsy.
Now that you've said it not a double exposure I'm struggling to work out just what went on while the shutter was open.
It seems to defy some physical laws. How do some of the light trails cover the whole image yet others are confined? Intriguing.

Paul Abbott

I know, l have yet to work it out for myself, Andy. God knows how those dotted lines got formed. It's the uniformity of the light trails that puzzle me too.
Anyway, I remember my action with the camera in my hand, it was very straight forward...short, up and down strokes.
This is the full image, no cropping in any way, shape or form in post-processing.

Last edited: