• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

OSX 10.5.4 RAID-0 Problem

Just a long shot in case someone has come across this before, I would be grateful for some hints.

Setup:

"Big Mac", Intel Mac, 8 core 3.0Ghz/16 Gig Ram, OSX 10.5.4, 2x 1TB Lacie e-sata, configured as RAID-0

ALT-CMND-EJECT to put the baby to sleep, and the following happens since today, I did setup the RAID 2 days ago and until now there was no problem:

Slice one still stays on, Slice two is permanently active on the drive (blue light flickering continously), yesterday all was fine, bith Lacies, plus 2 more WD's USB externals went to sleep. Just perfect.

All I installed today in addition was a Wacom Tablett on USB.

Now, OSX Menu bar is gone, Dock is gone, wallpaper left and no possibility to shut down.

Press ON Button on the BigMac, nothing happens. Turn of Lacie's, wait a minute, press ON again and finally the sucker shuts down dirty.

Question:

Do you guys use the OSX Software Raid option at all?

This is bad! I have RAID-0 running since 6 years literally on a PC adaptec/WD-Raptor setup, no problems whatsoever. This does not seem to be reliable to me, looks like a dedicated controller card is what's needed.

Yep' that's what we use for our image/file server…

What Raid Card do you use?

PS to shut down the Mac, you need to press several seconds the button in front of the Mac…

I know, but it would not shut down! There was some filthy **** going on, my assumption was that the e-SATA card driver is dodgy, but guess what Nicolas, the bloody supplier CANCOM again!!

My request was to hook up bnoth Lacies as Raid-0, they recommended this card, Sonnet TEMPO Sata E2P PCI Express card.

Now get that. bottom right: Not recommended for high-performance RAID configurations.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/computercards/index.html

Not only do they have x4 PCI cards with four connectors, but this now is the straw that breakes the camels back.... The time I wasted with these Idiots, unreal!....

This ""*&^_! calls himself APP (Apple Product Professional)

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
SCSI Parallel Domain 65536
on an "old" G4 running Mac OS X Server 10.4.11
Linked to the network via pci106b,9 card