• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Water transportation: boats, ships, barges, harbours, sluices, etc.

Come, ride my basket!

Only fifty rupees per person...

34988408825_70b3a7382f_b.jpg

Reginald

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Only fifty rupees per person...

34988408825_70b3a7382f_b.jpg

Reginald

Reginald,

Pretty bargain price as long as there's no rough water!

This boat is truly a traditional artisan's work. Likely as not the design is unchanged for some 5,000 years or more! The boat is woven and then covered in some fabric, which I presume is cited with bitumen of some sort!

I would love to see more of this kind of craft. What's the local name? Do they build them with sails or outriggers?

Asher

Reginald,

Pretty bargain price as long as there's no rough water!

This boat is truly a traditional artisan's work. Likely as not the design is unchanged for some 5,000 years or more! The boat is woven and then covered in some fabric, which I presume is cited with bitumen of some sort!

I would love to see more of this kind of craft. What's the local name? Do they build them with sails or outriggers?

Asher

Asher,

Yes, there is a fabric or leather covering and the bottom is painted with coal tar. Woven bamboo, real light to be carried by one person. Too light to rig a sail, I think. They call it Kuttavanchi if I remember right. A closer look below.

Reginald

35686963782_1ddf300e27_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher,

Yes, there is a fabric or leather covering and the bottom is painted with coal tar. Woven bamboo, real light to be carried by one person. Too light to rig a sail, I think. They call it Kuttavanchi if I remember right. A closer look below.

35686963782_1ddf300e27_b.jpg

Reginald,

You obviously immediately recognized the significant value of this native ancient design!

What a major human skill development!

This is simply amazing and shows the value of father to son apprenticeship over probably 200,000 years. On boats very close to this, migrants worked their way along coastal waters to gradually settle entire continents, at first following fishing g and hunting opportinties.

We have evidence of such tar covered boats at the time of Stonehenge!

Asher