• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hints on Tethered-Movie Recording with the 5DII and other Canon DSLR's

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I wonder how many of us are actually using the video capabilities fully?

We are starting to use the HD movie capability of the 5DII and would folk to share experience using the 5DII or other canon DSLR users have with remote storage of the files on the computer's Hard Drive?

Are there special concerns to be taken into account?

What happens to the 4G limit?

Does the camera just start a new movie clip or one has to intervene in some way after 4GB or 29 min and 59 secs?

How useful are still taken during the movie? Worthwhile or sorry you did it?

Thanks,

Asher

Hi,
Not fully yet, but working on it.

Storage in todays world is not really a problem, a problem is shooting and keeping too much :D
We run several drives in external towers on S-Ata and up until now we upgrade every year to twice the size drives and keep it organized that way.
Best tip is to not store too much on smaller drives but upgrade.

I never hit the 4G mark, normally when I film it's not above 10-20 seconds sometimes a bit more.

Stills can be seen during the playback so I shoot those loose from filming.

Asher Kelman

Hi,
Not fully yet, but working on it.

Storage in todays world is not really a problem, a problem is shooting and keeping too much :D
We run several drives in external towers on S-Ata and up until now we upgrade every year to twice the size drives and keep it organized that way.
Best tip is to not store too much on smaller drives but upgrade.

I never hit the 4G mark, normally when I film it's not above 10-20 seconds sometimes a bit more.

Stills can be seen during the playback so I shoot those loose from filming.

What's amazing is the money the videographers spend on steadycams, fittings to pull focus manually and it seems whole new industries are growing ot take advantage of the DLLR's with their relatively massive sensors and lenses for 1/10 of the price of video lenses.

Frankly I'd like one of these setups for taking still pictures and getting less hand fatigue!

From what I've seen Canon tens to have more red in the images and the bright end is not as rich in detail as film.

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
What's amazing is the money the videographers spend on steadycams, fittings to pull focus manually and it seems whole new industries are growing ot take advantage of the DLLR's with their relatively massive sensors and lenses for 1/10 of the price of video lenses.

Having returned to still photography from filmmaking/videography I really have no interest in re-entering that world. It's a blast but at an amateur level it's a blast best suited for kids/younger people with large networks of free (beer & pizza) labor.

You're right, though, about the unexpected arm-shot that these full-frame cameras are giving to the peripheral businesses. I'm suddenly getting deluges with emails and postal mails from companies that I used to use who are introducing new lines devoted to these cameras. BTW, the folks over in the pro video departments of Canon can't be too thrilled. They made a great deal of cash from their prosumer video cameras but perhaps more from their professional video lens line. Ooops.

Frankly I'd like one of these setups for taking still pictures and getting less hand fatigue!
Not really. The shoulder/chest/hand braces that are being resurrected are designed to provide a steadier shot but require a completely different ergonomic model for using the camera. It would be a compromise, at best.

From what I've seen Canon tens to have more red in the images and the bright end is not as rich in detail as film.

Asher
Canon video cameras have always had a warmer image than its nearest competitor, Sony. The pro Panasonics had the most neutral image.

Asher Kelman

Having returned to still photography from filmmaking/videography I really have no interest in re-entering that world. It's a blast but at an amateur level it's a blast best suited for kids/younger people with large networks of free (beer & pizza) labor.

Ken,

Large production companies seem to have the beer and pizza to make it work too, LOL! "Lost" and other TV series were made with Canon 5DI video: lower productions costs and if the control the highlights, better video with amazing variety of lenses.

My interest in Video is so modest that no pzza or beer are required, :) . It's limited to that small need to be sufficiently competent to also record special events in video, so that foundations and benefactors can be shown stellar virtuosos age 7 to 24 and have their hearts melt and wallets opened generously. I'm not sure that it will be more effective that still photos and music but maybe in 20 minute presentation several 1 minute moves will just do the trick.

Also, to show a setup or teaching, the video might have advantages.

The main focus of what I do and the focus of OPF is the still picture, as creative as we can.

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Just before I decided to exit filmmaking in 2004 I was -this close- (pinching fingers) to investing nearly $100,000 in either a Sony CineAlta rig or one of the (then new) Panasonic Varicams. The prices (and sizes) of each have since dropped markedly. But, more to the point, the Canon 5DII can do nearly the same job at a tiny fraction of the cost. Whew, glad I came to my senses and decided against a production company. It would have been a money pit.

Asher Kelman

Just before I decided to exit filmmaking in 2004 I was -this close- (pinching fingers) to investing nearly $100,000 in either a Sony CineAlta rig or one of the (then new) Panasonic Varicams. The prices (and sizes) of each have since dropped markedly. But, more to the point, the Canon 5DII can do nearly the same job at a tiny fraction of the cost. Whew, glad I came to my senses and decided against a production company. It would have been a money pit.

The truth is, Ken, folk like us who need the money, (meaning we can't just drop such sums and not bother if it's lost), should only get into a project that will start pulling in money from day one and also pay for itself in 5 years. Investment banks, however, can put millions into a project and do not miss a wink of sleep f it goes under. They have 20-30 such projects and they might need just 3-4 to pay off 10-50 fold for their lives to be comfortable. They take risks with their investors money.

It's so tempting to buy, "stuff". There's a great satisfaction in owning fine or impressively designed things. The best thing is to get into a habit renting from someone else who took that $100,000 risk.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Back on topic!

How do you record on to the computer hard drive using Eos Utility. Where's the dialog box for movies?

Asher

I for one never use the tethered option.
I connect the HDMI to a big screen TV in the studio and watch from there, only problem as soon as the recording starts it's SD, so if there are good movie tethered solutions tell me :D

Asher Kelman

I for one never use the tethered option.
I connect the HDMI to a big screen TV in the studio and watch from there, only problem as soon as the recording starts it's SD, so if there are good movie tethered solutions tell me :D

What's SD stand for?

When you shoot on the 5DII it has a limit of 4GB and 29 minutes and 29 seconds, whichever comes first. Does it start a new clip or one has to restart it?

Asher