• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hello, I'm a girl from China.

Anna Lee

Hello, everyone, my name is Anna Lee. I'm a girl interested in photography, and i'm from China.
My equipment for photograph is Canon 550D, maybe i could share some pictures from china with you in the future.

Now i want to tell my story. One day, i found this forum occasionally, and love it! I'm working with a B2C company named DinoDirect and we have most kinds of photography related equipments to sale, but obviously it's not professional as you have.

I want to say thanks to Asher Kelman , Mark Hampton and Jim Galli, they help me a lot when i meet trouble when registered, they are so kind and the members in this forum let me feel friendly, i believe OPF is a reliable and comprehensive forum to communicate in.

Hope i can learn more from you and be welcomed. Thanks.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hello Anna,

I guess it refers to replies! I hadn't paid attention to it before!!!

Of course we're so glad to have you and especially from a magnificent country like China with so much to photograph in every climate and condition.

We're looking forward to you pictures.

Asher

Bob Rogers

I think the red envelope is supposed to indicate that there are new messages in a thread.

There would be no red envelope next to a post you just made, because you have already read it.

I don't think the forum software is particularly good at determining which things have actually been read though. At least it doesn't seem to be for me.

I always click on the "Recent Posts" tab, and then scroll down the list and look for interesting things to read.

I'm looking forward to seeing photos from China!

Anna Lee

Hello Bob,

I understood why, I found this at the bottom of the forum "introduce yourself":

291984_111156162324910_100002915793321_81204_86199025_n.jpg

I think the red envelope is supposed to indicate that there are new messages in a thread.

There would be no red envelope next to a post you just made, because you have already read it.

I don't think the forum software is particularly good at determining which things have actually been read though. At least it doesn't seem to be for me.

I always click on the "Recent Posts" tab, and then scroll down the list and look for interesting things to read.

I'm looking forward to seeing photos from China!

Anna Lee

Thanks for all your help.

Have you ever been to Shangri-La in the south-west of china? It's located between the north of Yunnan province and the southeast of Tibet. It's that mystical place James Hilton described at his book <<Lost Horizon>>.

I have ever been there for one week, i never see such charming landscape before anywhere in china. I want to share some photos i took by Canon 550D.

308335_111185542321972_100002915793321_81339_14969936_n.jpg

315033_111186458988547_100002915793321_81344_2021117067_n.jpg

321501_111186988988494_100002915793321_81347_61016388_n.jpg

I'm a entry-level hobbyist on photography, welcome your advice on my work!

Asher Kelman

Thanks for all your help.

Have you ever been to Shangri-La in the south-west of china? It's located between the north of Yunnan province and the southeast of Tibet. It's that mystical place James Hilton described at his book <<Lost Horizon>>.

I have ever been there for one week, i never see such charming landscape before anywhere in china. I want to share some photos i took by Canon 550D.

Anna,

Congrats on jumping in and getting started. i'd hoped for something interesting and you have met the bill! The Canon 550D is very capable. One thing to watch out for is that all lenses are giving a narrower frame than they would on a full size Eos camera. There's also a tendency for photography teachers to emphasize framing very close on the key elements. That does seem to make good sense and the narrower view of the 550 D helps.

I do not think this view of photography is the right way to start, even using film. With digital, where one really can still compose on the computer monitor, wide views are always better for learning on when one is in a hurry or touring. Then one can perfect the composition when one comes home. However, nothing can be added that was left out of the picture, so it's best, at least for beginners, to always have more.

308335_111185542321972_100002915793321_81339_14969936_n.jpg

These snow covered mountains are magnificent. I'd like to see more foreground.

315033_111186458988547_100002915793321_81344_2021117067_n.jpg

Tell us more about this tower. how does it fit into its surroundings? Often such building "belong" to the countryside just as a birds head belongs to its body. So does the tower belong? I'd love to know more. Is this a Buddhist building? What's the story and where are the people?

321501_111186988988494_100002915793321_81347_61016388_n.jpg

I seem to remember that such colored flags are prayers, perhaps for the dead. Is that true?

Thanks for sharing.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thanks for introducing us to this far away place. What about the culture and the people there? We're eager to learn!

Anna Lee

Hello, Asher,

Firstly, thanks for your photography knowlege about the Eos 550D. Absolutely I agree with you, that we should learn something more inside in addition to photography itself. I thought to make a note for each piture, but i truely expect that you will have your own idea about my work without any needless words.

I'm very pleased that you're interested in my works and my country. I think I will start a new thread to introduce some more pictures including the local culture and people to you.

For your puzzle on the pictures, i'd like to make some notes here:

1, The first picture is about a series of sacred snow mountains in Shangri-La, they connect into a circle, this picture is just a small part of them. The further mountains should be named Meili, it is regarded as the God protecting the local people.

2, The tower is the biggest sutra-turning tube in the world, and you're right, it's a Buddhist building. Sutra-turning tube is used to pray, usually stays in front of the temple. This big sutra-turning tube is about 21 metres high, the image on the tube body are the four great bodhisattvas. The stories say one will be blessed by the Buddha if you swing it clockwise three turns.

See the below picture, how big it is:

316697_111232565650603_100002915793321_81644_2037103467_n.jpg

3, About the colored flags, you're right, it's also for pray, but not for the dead. Each flag filled with lection that's what the people want to tell to the Buddhist. there are five colors and each one has its special meaning.

Dear Asher, really thanks for your attention. Welcome to china in one day of the future:)

Asher Kelman

Anna Lee,

It's really a delight to hear about the mountains and the prayers in this high area. Fahim Mohammed, a frequent poster here, has also visited Tibet and found some great mountains to photograph too.

Looking forward to having our eyes opened further!

Do you also take pictures of the people themselves. do they live in modern houses or apartments or in villages or temporary shelters or tents as nomads do? Is enough of the old life still existing, or has industrialization covered the landscape with giant skyscrapers and smoke!

Asher

Anna Lee

Anna Lee,

Do you also take pictures of the people themselves. do they live in modern houses or apartments or in villages or temporary shelters or tents as nomads do? Is enough of the old life still existing, or has industrialization covered the landscape with giant skyscrapers and smoke!

Asher

Asher,

They live in modern houses, but have their own style, and they still live in their own life, of course, they have been more or less changed with more and more people go there. Some young herdsmen become tour guides. It's good to know that there is no too much industrialization there, because the ancient buildings and local culture are valued and will be protected very well.