• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Children of our War

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well done, Charlotte!

Children are meant to be innocent and not to be discarded in the trash of upheavals!

We must take this in and not get accustomed to the vision, but know it well!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

Thank you! It has become my war now. I have seen the suffering of children especially in Syria and have made a few more art pieces because of it- I always have thought Education is key! As a mother the child is immaculate when born and for me children.... all children are!

If we are to teach real peace in this world, and if we are to carry on a real war against war, we shall have to begin with the children. Mahatma Gandhi

Charlotte

Asher Kelman

Recently%20Updated1975.jpg

Charlotte,

Now to the picture structure. Simply the placement of the little girl to the side, (surely not your habit or to defy "centering" custom"), moves her to unimportant real estate.

The rest of the work, the starkness, simplicity and decorations build a mood and sense of bleakness and sparseness of hope.

It was easy for you to do the layering esthetically well, but the totality is more powerful than even your best work. This has an added demand of immediacy as all our heart strings are plucked, just rational argument about our own decency.

Asher

Last edited:

Charlotte Thompson

Asher
Yes indeed your words are music to my ears! It needed to be powerful visually . You needed to feel it through your heart. I found the other work which started this series. The same vintage child. She became veiled in the darkness of war. Caught in a dark place she doesn't understand.

Asher Kelman

All crosses and crescent and stars aren't worth the life of one child.

Built in to wild animals, is a habit of killing the offspring of the mate they capture in territorial conflict. A beautiful zebra will even kick the stomach of a mare he wishes for himself, until she aborts. Lions routinely kill the cubs of the previous lion king!

So perhaps, we have evolutionary blinders to the suffering of displaced children. Think about it, we do not generally cut out fetuses from women or slaughter infants to get females to be ready to mate. Are t we so different from animals!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

We are animals. Human yes but animals the same. Nature takes its course as it would without a choice. Humans have choice. I think it is the difference. I am a evolutionist . Evolution feels true. I would remind you of this as just one example of slaughtering our own for religious reasons whereby animals by instinct-

New Testament references[edit]
Main article: Massacre of the Innocents
Herod appears in the Gospel according to Matthew (2:1-23), which describes an event known as the Massacre of the Innocents. According to this account, after the birth of Jesus, some magi (astrologers) from the East visited Herod to inquire the whereabouts of "the one having been born king of the Jews", because they had seen his star in the east (or, according to certain translations, at its rising) and therefore wanted to pay him homage. Herod, as King of the Jews, was alarmed at the prospect of a usurper. Herod assembled the chief priests and scribes of the people and asked them where the "Anointed One" (the Messiah, Greek: Ὁ Χριστός, ho Christos) was to be born. They answered, in Bethlehem, citing Micah 5:2. Herod therefore sent the magi to Bethlehem, instructing them to search for the child and, after they had found him, to "report to me, so that I too may go and worship him". However, after they had found Jesus, they were warned in a dream not to report back to Herod. Similarly, Joseph was warned in a dream that Herod intended to kill Jesus, so he and his family fled to Egypt. When Herod realized he had been outwitted, he gave orders to kill all boys of the age of two and under in Bethlehem and its vicinity. Joseph and his family stayed in Egypt until Herod's death, then moved to Nazareth in Galilee to avoid living under Herod's son Archelaus.

Love the conversation btw!!