• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

'Different Planes' or Blue, Red & Yellow - San Diego, California U

Paul Abbott

differentplanescorrected_1_of_1_900.jpg

'Different Planes' or Blue, Red & Yellow - San Diego, California USA '15

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
differentplanescorrected_1_of_1_900.jpg

'Different Planes' or Blue, Red & Yellow - San Diego, California USA '15

Am I correct. For this really effective picture, I can cover up any one of the two elements on the right we still have a pretty good composition! It has been said that in a well balanced photograph this shouldn't be so.

Is it because the plane flying so low is such a strong element about which we know such a lot. People are in it, lives are at stake. So do these elements effect a composition or are they just part of the deeper meaning.

If these were abstract flat forms, then what?

Asher

Jerome Marot

Great picture. Reminds me a bit of Stephen Shore...

BTW: I do not agree with the idea that we "can cover up any one of the two elements on the right".

Paul Abbott

Wow! It's great that I have provoked some interest with this one... :)

First and foremost, it's all about the colours and striping similarity with the Shell petrol garage. For me, that gave me my interest in taking the picture, it lifted it from being a straight shot...and I guess a little more unique. The elements I combined in the composition are not to be fooled with, they're all there for a reason. Hence, the title.
I could see that this paritcular airline had a colour scheme that fit with the Shell garage, because I would look behind me and see the plane passing overhead and beyond the other side of the roof, into this area. All were coming in on exactly the same trajectory, every 10mins or so...

Having looked at a lot of what Joel Meyerowitz and William Eggleston did in colour, I like to think that my image might come off with a similar identity or viewed with the same idea...

Thanks Asher, Jerome and Cem.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Great picture. Reminds me a bit of Stephen Shore...

BTW: I do not agree with the idea that we "can cover up any one of the two elements on the right".

....and Cem agrees!

Well then, my reactions seem to be limited to my own perception here! That might demonstrate the limited generality of some of our strongest personal "insights" to composition.

Still, we seem to agree that this picture is eye catching, impressive, magnetic and worth lingering a while and well composed!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Am I correct. For this really effective picture, I can cover up any one of the two elements on the right we still have a pretty good composition! It has been said that in a well balanced photograph this shouldn't be so.

I have no trouble believing that has been said.

But I have trouble believing that it is so.

Best regards,

Doug