• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Vase and Flowers

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
See what you can come up with. Perhaps you go to a party - maybe steal or borrow their flowers and get a composition.

We had dinner guests and so this flower arrangement arrived and gradually the buds opened. The stamens are designed with a split stem which serves to stretch out the pollenating surface and so make it unlikely to miss a foraging insect. The pollen is so profuse, that when the flowers are indoors for a few days in the heat, they shed a rich red ochre like powder everywhere!

_DSC6351_denoise_edited-800 copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Gifted Flowers

Sony A7R Contax Zeiss Distagon 4.0 18mm at f8.0

Photoshop CC and Topaz

I Simplified the background my removing a picture from the wall before I took the picture.

Critique and further examples welcome!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Canna lilies we call them. Love the colours,hate the mess they make. I'm ok with this representation, Asher. It seems to fit the mood and setting. Not that it matters if I give a ****. Enjoy the flowers

See what you can come up with. Perhaps you go to a party - maybe steal or borrow their flowers and get a composition.

We had dinner guests and so this flower arrangement arrived and gradually the buds opened. The stamens are designed with a split stem which serves to stretch out the pollenating surface and so make it unlikely to miss a foraging insect. The pollen is so profuse, that when the flowers are indoors for a few days in the heat, they shed a rich red ochre like powder everywhere!

Sony A7R Contax Zeiss Distagon 4.0 18mm at f8.0

Photoshop CC and Topaz

I Simplified the background my removing a picture from the wall before I took the picture.

Asher

Beautiful Stargazer Lilies! What a lovely gift! the line of the shelf and the wall behind make for interesting shapes to accompany the pretty arrangement.

I'm adding a couple pictures taken at the same time to your vase and flower challenge.

vaseandcat1.jpg

Vase & Cat I- ©Maggie Terlecki 2014

vaseandcat2.jpg

Vase & Cat II - ©Maggie Terlecki 2014​

My cat, Chiana, often interrupts my shoots; this time I allowed her to stay as I thought she'd be a welcome addition.

Asher Kelman

I'm adding a couple pictures taken at the same time to your vase and flower challenge.

vaseandcat1.jpg

vaseandcat2.jpg

My cat, Chiana, often interrupts my shoots; this time I allowed her to stay as I thought she'd be a welcome addition.

Maggie,

With Chianna, this composition is so delightful, pure and purringly peaceful. I couldn't do better!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I went back to an earlier shot when the buds were not so fully open. I created a geometrical background using the corner of the sofas.

_DSC5924_Gifted flowers unopened_800.jpg

Asher Kelman: Gifted Flowers Unopened

Sony A7R Contax Zeiss ZA 55mm 1.8 at f 2.2

Photoshop CC and Topaz

Asher

Asher[

Asher Kelman

Last night was the Gala for the Opening Season of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra. It was made has an homage to John Williams the conductor of the Boston Pops and composer of many film scores, including, of course, "Star Wars!"

Well, there were flowers at the dinner for supporters and at the end of the day, I fot to take home these......and who says there are no free rides in life!

_DSC6695_CALA LILIES_800 pixels.jpg

Asher Kelman: Cala Lilies Celebrating John Williams

Sony A7R Zeiss ZA 55mm 1.8 at 4.0

Photoshop CC and Topaz

Luckily I had the morning southern sunlight coming in to illuminate them!

Critique invited!

Asher

Last night was the Gala for the Opening Season of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra. It was made has an homage to John Williams the conductor of the Boston Pops and composer of many film scores, including, of course, "Star Wars!"

Well, there were flowers at the dinner for supporters and at the end of the day, I fot to take home these......and who says there are no free rides in life!

Photoshop CC and Topaz

Luckily I had the morning southern sunlight coming in to illuminate them!

Critique invited!

Asher

What an opportunity. I assume you met the man? He's such a brilliant composer and has had such a long and illustrious career. Although in his 80s, he doesn't look like he's considering retiring anytime soon.

Nice to be able to bring the calla lilies home. They are such beauties.

Asher Kelman

Maggie, I appreciate you coming by to give me feedback! Yes, John Williams is a brilliant conductor, still very handsome and conducted a portion of the program so strongly, each musician got meticulous attention in the structure and timing control, something rare to behold. He owns those notes and the control over expression is impeccable and hard to match!

Asher

Asher Kelman

The last of the gifted flowers

_DSC6927_800.jpg

_DSC6928_800.jpg

Asher Kelman: Gifted Flowers Last One's standing!

Sony A7R Pentax 85mm 1.9 at f 2.8

Photoshop CC and Topaz

I like the soft Bokeh of the Pentax lens. Who needs autofocus with modern live view!!

Asher :)

Asher Kelman

Here we use the same vase above for another set of flowers.

_DSC7916_Vase_Asian Lily.jpg

Enjoy!

Asher

BTW, to see how these vases might get used, look here. :)

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Lovely in every way. Thanks.

Still, not being from either New York or L.A, I always shudder a little at the use of "to gift" as a verb!

Or maybe I missed the point and you were commenting on how talented the flowers are (certainly apt!).

Best regards,

Doug

Antonio Correia

Photoshop CC and Topaz
...Asher

From all these vases with flowers the most impressive image for me is this one for it's beauty.

The background is notably/particularly beauty in it's uncertainty !

Very nice indeed :)

Asher Kelman

From all these vases with flowers the most impressive image for me is this one for it's beauty.

The background is notably/particularly beauty in it's uncertainty !

Very nice indeed :)

Thanks for your kind words, Antonio! I too love these lilies the most! There are different varieties and the one I like the most was destroyed by their apartment landlord where I'd sneak in picture taking when no one was around!

Asher

Dave Butcher

vaseandcat1.jpg

vaseandcat2.jpg

This is a great photo thanks for sharing it. I love the look of your cat Chiana looking at the camera next to the vase.

Andy brown

Maggie I'd missed these before. Gorgeous!
Sadly my wife has turned into a mad cat lady.
Don't get me wrong I love our mog too but I'm less, shall we say....obsessive.

I'd love to show her these images but dare not for fear of having to try to replicate your brilliance without the requisite skills and working the groggy moggy not your sweet girl.

Asher Kelman

I'd love to show her these images but dare not for fear of having to try to replicate your brilliance without the requisite skills and working the groggy moggy not your sweet girl.

Well, the "groggy moggie" will be interesting! Never seen a downunder-dingo cat yet!

Asher

Thanks, Andy. I would also love to see your moggy pics, although if she is anything like Chiana, the opportunities are rare; she usually can sense the camera lens and takes off. :-D