• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nikon D700 released

Yaron Lenard

D700 released, hands-on preview at DP Review.

I don't shoot much dSLR right now, and when I do use my Canon 5D... but Nikon system owners should be pretty excited about this - finally a FF sensor in a small body. If I had to build a new system for myself right now, this would be my starting point.

I assume Canon will bring out a 5D Mk II soon, which would be a direct competitor. I must say this arms race in the dSLR segment is benefiting all of us photographers.

Cem_Usakligil

...I assume Canon will bring out a 5D Mk II soon, which would be a direct competitor. I must say this arms race in the dSLR segment is benefiting all of us photographers.
I agree fully. Canon will have to hurry now. They kept the likes of me (a very recent ex 5D owner) too long at bay. I bought a 40D as a stop-gap measure, but I want to get the 5D Mk II as soon as possible. Had the D700 been there only two months ago, I would have probably switched back to Nikon.

Cheers,

What would push someone to spend the extra $2000 (soon to become $1000?) difference and get a D3 now?

D3 Pros:

Dual CF is cool, but I can live without.
99% viewfinder is great! but worth $2000?

D700 Pros:

Arguably better vertical controls with the battery grip.
Built-in flash commander & autofocus assist lamp.
Size & Weight.

What counts as more important for you?

You're probably right. There is not a lot other than the dual CF slots as you said and the extra fps the D3 gives. However, since I already bought the D3, and I have been down this road before, there is no use crying over spilled milk. One can never stay up with the technology very long anyway unless one is sponsored or filthy rich. It is a total waste of my time even thinking about that. As you say though, for someone thinking about upgrading, the D700 would probably be the way to go. Then you could throw in the 70-200 on top of it.

... or gently place it on top of it as the case may be....

The D700 also has dust reduction vibration (if that makes a difference) as well as "mirror balancer" to reduce mirror bounce (which i don't remember being a feature of the D3 but could be wrong).

Regards,
Murray

marc wilson

pro member
What would push someone to spend the extra $2000 (soon to become $1000?) difference and get a D3 now?

D3 Pros:

Dual CF is cool, but I can live without.
99% viewfinder is great! but worth $2000?

D700 Pros:

Arguably better vertical controls with the battery grip.
Built-in flash commander & autofocus assist lamp.
Size & Weight.

What counts as more important for you?

I think for commercial applications the dual CF slot is a great and perhaps necessary back up.
Also for interiors and architectural work the 100% viewfinder and changeable screens for manual focus lenses perhaps can be very important.
The price difference will be fairly small soon in comparing used D3 to new D700.

So if I had to buy one today (say used D3 vs new D700 where the price difference amounts to approx 1/1.5 days work) I'd get the D3 for the above reasons...but that is just me! (and yes I'd miss not having the dust removal)

I am happy with the DX D300. Lenses are so much smaller than with FX format cameras and if I need more I can use my Phase One P 25 with twice the real state of the new Nikons...

Mike Shimwell

You need lenses that project an image circle big enough to cover a full 35mm frame. Since the introduction of crop sensor (i.e. smaller than 36 by 24mm) dslr's manufacturers have also started offering smaller, less expensive lenses with a smaller image circle. Canon calls them ef-s, presumably nikon calls them dx cf fx.

Mike

doug anderson

You need lenses that project an image circle big enough to cover a full 35mm frame. Since the introduction of crop sensor (i.e. smaller than 36 by 24mm) dslr's manufacturers have also started offering smaller, less expensive lenses with a smaller image circle. Canon calls them ef-s, presumably nikon calls them dx cf fx.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. So, my older 17-35 should be okay with a D700?

D

charlie chipman

You can use the old 17~35, but with a DX like D300 you can get a much smaller 17~35 f2.8 at an affordable price and something much, much smaller...

The question was not about a D300 nor Nikon does not make a DX version of the 17-35 f/2.8, are you referring to the 17-55mm nikkor? Tamron makes an inexpensive 17-35mm but is image and build quality comparable? Either which way this is leading of topic.

Yes Doug your 17-35mm will work great on a D700 as well as a D300.

Husain Alfraid

i think i'm ready to upgrade from my D200 to D700...by the end of this year,Hopefully :)....im just waiting so there is no software problems...and all of that!

I think if you would follow new tech....you'd get crazy. and when you buy something new...you have to make sure that you bought it deeply in trust of that device...cuz its going to stay with you for at least 2-4 years...or the rest of your life (or its life heh).

just like about getting a 2008 car...and after 5 months...oooops there is the 2009...and totally looks different....

cheers :)

Wendy Thurman

I wouldn't anticipate any software issues as the camera is electronically the same as the D3. I moved from the Canon 5D to the D700 and have no complaints as of yet, other than an additional investment in Capture NX2 would be recommended.

Wendy