• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nik

Playing around tonight. Single sb-600 fired through an umbrella high camera right angled down, tried to feather it aimed at his legs. D90, nikkor 35mm f1.8 at f8, 1/200's, iso 200.

6143314394_bcf4143006_z.jpg

Thanks for looking and sharing.

But, we like it dark!
I love the way the tattoo shapes the muscles of the back. (Looks like a good displacement map!)

I just regret his trousers (pants) are no so detailed, I would like to see a texture, as far as it's possible.
I definitely like it!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Playing around tonight. Single sb-600 fired through an umbrella high camera right angled down, tried to feather it aimed at his legs. D90, nikkor 35mm f1.8 at f8, 1/200's, iso 200.

6143314394_bcf4143006_z.jpg

Thanks for looking and sharing.

Works well for me, Jake! How would you title this picture of Nik apart from just, well simply, "Nik"?

As soon as I see this, I wonder what are it's siblings? Have you any thoughts about this?

Asher

Works well for me, Jake! How would you title this picture of Nik apart from just, well simply, "Nik"?

As soon as I see this, I wonder what are it's siblings? Have you any thoughts about this?

Asher

Siblings? Do you mean more pictures from the set? I just took a few last night around 1am and created this basic edit to get the creative juices going.

This is my wifes younger cousin. This is just a start on this photo. I'm working on creating an cd album cover for him for his first mixtape.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Siblings? Do you mean more pictures from the set? I just took a few last night around 1am and created this basic edit to get the creative juices going.

This is my wifes younger cousin. This is just a start on this photo. I'm working on creating an cd album cover for him for his first mixtape.

Jake,

Not necessarily from this one shoot. Just that when one does something unique, it's a good idea to consider if it might also inform one on how to approach other pictures that might form a set unified by some idea. Since I liked the uniqueness of this one picture, I naturally want to know if you have already done or plan to make other pictures, even of different subjects that could stand together as a set or series.

Asher

Jake,

Not necessarily from this one shoot. Just that when one does something unique, it's a good idea to consider if it might also inform one on how to approach other pictures that might form a set unified by some idea. Since I liked the uniqueness of this one picture, I naturally want to know if you have already done or plan to make other pictures, even of different subjects that could stand together as a set or series.

Asher

Ok, now I understand. Yes I plan on a continued series with this young man. Also, a tattoo artist works at the same plant as me, so many of our friends and family are inked up. I would like to continue with a tattoo series.

Ruben Alfu

Hi Jake,

I like this shot, is arresting and meaningful. I'm curious, what moved you to chose BW and disregard the exuberance of colors in the tattoo? Given the mood of the light and Nik's pose, to me, is like the true story here is about something inside the skin.

Regards,

Ruben

Charlotte Thompson

Jake

I really like this- I was thinking though could you show tats in color(muted) and leave the rest in black and white-
will be back later
the picture has so much possibility! very cool-

Charlotte-

Hi Jake,

I like this shot, is arresting and meaningful. I'm curious, what moved you to chose BW and disregard the exuberance of colors in the tattoo? Given the mood of the light and Nik's pose, to me, is like the true story here is about something inside the skin.

Regards,

Ruben

Thank you so much for the comment. I chose black and white because of some strange coloring going on with my files while using GIMP. Also there is no coloring in the tattoo, so a color version might bring the eye down to the grass.

Jake

I really like this- I was thinking though could you show tats in color(muted) and leave the rest in black and white-
will be back later
the picture has so much possibility! very cool-

Charlotte-

Thank you charlotte. Most of the tattoos that my family and friends have are all in black, no color.

Here is a color version. It may have a slightly altered crop.

The green coloring is just above his boxer line. Any ideas what may cause this green coloring.

6153467427_120a9dbfc0_z.jpg

Ruben Alfu

Here is a color version. It may have a slightly altered crop.

The green coloring is just above his boxer line. Any ideas what may cause this green coloring.

6153467427_120a9dbfc0_z.jpg

Hi Jake,

I like this color version very much too, and the monochrome tattoo looks awesome over the skin tone.
What I didn't notice before and now looks a little strange to me is the sharp edge of shadow over his left leg.
Sorry I can't provide any help with GIMP, I could only speculate that you may try lowering the range of some color modification tool (?).

Regards,

Ruben

HI,
Is is happening only with this image or in a series?
It looks like a color shift to me (yes I know, odd..) the ink from the upper part on the ink on the skin of the lower part. Or if you changed is skin color a tad (eg: increasing cyan, it might be the case since the ink is dark blue - opposite to black). I'm throwing ideas in the field, I am not sure of anything...

If you want to send me the file, so I can try to do something, it would be with great pleasure.