• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Electronic shutter

Antonio Correia

Due to the electronic shutter I have clearly noticed that - as expected - some images taken in burst present a clear difference.

Neither the distortion produced with a moving object is seen here nor the banding under fluorescent light.

I - until now - was only photographing in silence . I will have to restrick that option when necessary and not as a rule.

I tried to do a gif to show you the effect. Hope it works ! :)

i-6qkP6nB-S.gif

Robert Watcher

You've shown the limitation of electronic shutter perfectly - rolling shutter (jello effect) same as seen in video . As wonderful as it sounds, it isn't all that:)

"If you have one of these and you shoot mainly landscapes, macro, portrait and other still or slow moving subjects, you can turn on the fully electronic shutter and enjoy its advantages. Instead, if you take photos of sport, wildlife and other fast moving subjects, I suggest to avoid the electronic shutter, at least until global electronic shutters or very fast rolling shutters will become a reality in mainstream cameras. "

There is pretty decent explanation here: http://www.juzaphoto.com/article.php?l=en&t=mechanical_and_electronic_shutter

Jerome Marot

I see the animated gif, but I don't understand what it is supposed to show. You see the difference between what and what?

As to the rolling shutter effect: this effect is also present for mechanical focal plane shutters of the type used in your camera. Example:

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-1991-1209-503%2C_Autorennen_im_Grunewald%2C_Berlin.jpg

(Picture from Wikipedia)

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Another techno-head worrying about the wrong thing. I wonder what we'll be waiting for next.
I heard a surfer complaining the other day that his board shorts make too much noise when he undoes his Velcro fly. Should I tell him to wait for silent Velcro?

Robert Watcher

I may have been wrong in presuming what Antonio was showing in the gif animation - I don't know. I took it to be the rolling shutter effect. At any rate:

Yes a mechanical shutter also suffers from rolling shutter. It just moves so quickly in modern cameras that it behaves more like a global shutter. Not that you can't find ways to introduce the shutter effects in cameras we use - you can.

Of course the image you show is taken with the relatively slow moving shutter available on old cameras. You couldn't really get away from it with this type of subject content. Interestingly you can tell the type of shutter by the direction of the skew. In Antonios gif animation (if that is what he is describing), the electronic shutter leans to the left and on the old mechanical shutter image it leans to the right. :)

So the electronic shutter is quiet is giving say a 1/16,000 shutter speed in some of the new cameras - but it has several limitations. A big one is that it suffers from heavy rolling shutter artefacts so that when shooting with moving subjects or with long lenses (camera shake makes crazy distortion too) it is not really usable. Why? Because the speed of the sequential sensor readout is independent of the shutter speed in an electronic shutter. Even if using a fast shutter speed, the sequential readout from the sensor is slow and will create the skewed distortion in those type of situations. So I've heard.

I see the animated gif, but I don't understand what it is supposed to show. You see the difference between what and what?

As to the rolling shutter effect: this effect is also present for mechanical focal plane shutters of the type used in your camera. Example:

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-1991-1209-503%2C_Autorennen_im_Grunewald%2C_Berlin.jpg

(Picture from Wikipedia)

Antonio Correia

Thank you Robert ! :)
Indeed I was trying to show the rolling shutter effect. I have doing my homework since the first post ! :)
The flowers were not moving and the two shots were very close apart. I didn't even let go my finger !
Perhaps the effect has nothing to do with the rolling shutter but with something else.
Let me be more precise if I have not been before: I took the two photographs one after the other without being aware of.
-
Thank you Jerome ! :)
You are probably right because it is the first time I was trying to do an animated gif and something went as unexpected. It really stops very quickly and after a certain time we can't view the movement anymore.
It was supposed to show that two photographs closely taken, are different.
I had never seen - as far as I remember - the image you posted but this one I knew already.
A couple of days ago, I had obtained a similar effect when a car was passing behind the ladies I was photographing but I erased that photo unfortunately.
lartigue_car_trip.jpg
Jacques-Henri Lartigue
Car Trip, Papa at 80 kilometers an hour

Sam Hames

Perhaps the effect has nothing to do with the rolling shutter but with something else.

Hi Antonio,

I noticed the same thing - this is with a GX7? I think it is a rolling shutter artifact, but it's a lot more subtle than most examples shown around. The motion in this case comes from the camera moving rather than the scene. Especially rotations seem to to cause the weird distortion.

(Also, isn't the quiet nice? I used the electronic shutter 90% of the time when I had a gx7.)

Sam

Jerome Marot

The flowers were not moving and the two shots were very close apart. I didn't even let go my finger !
Let me be more precise if I have not been before: I took the two photographs one after the other without being aware of.

Was the camera moving when you took the picture?

Antonio Correia

Thank you Sam. Yes it is the GX7.
I started using the electronic shutter only in certain occasions when I want to go "undercover".
-
Jerome I assumed - again, probably wrong - that the camera was not moving when I took the picture. I was as most of the time in burst mode.
However, the slight moved could have been done with a little - even slight - movement.

Both pictures were done with the finger down if you know what I mean.
They were so close that their rename in LR was *-RW2 and *-2.RW2.
i-JZ4R7dW-X2.png

Jerome Marot

If you moved the camera between the two pictures, it is normal that the perspective is slightly different, isn't it?

Maybe you could put your camera on a tripod to exclude movement and see what happens when taking a burst of pictures?