• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Road Art: pavement, walls anything unusually artistic by chance or intent!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Michael Nagel

Winston,

Thanks.

For me this is a documentation project to preserve the work of these artists - as good as I can.
Some works persist for some time, but many disappear after a few weeks or even days.
The collection has grown over the years.

This has replaced 'Connected' (shown above):

Sometimes details are more interesting:

Partially painted over, but still funny and crazy (other work of the same artist here, maybe NSFW for some):

I like the dynamic of this one:

Slightly creepy:

Sometimes I feel watched:

Best regards,
Michael

Antonio Correia

i-CGzwcQ8-X2.jpg

Asher Kelman

Winston,

Thanks.

For me this is a documentation project to preserve the work of these artists - as good as I can.
Some works persist for some time, but many disappear after a few weeks or even days.
The collection has grown over the years.

This has replaced 'Connected' (shown above):

Sometimes details are more interesting:

Partially painted over, but still funny and crazy (other work of the same artist here, maybe NSFW for some):

I like the dynamic of this one:

Slightly creepy:

Sometimes I feel watched:

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

In this series, there's such a range of required time in putting down the paint. Some are so sophisticated and complex, with building up of form, while others need just a cut out template to paint or spray over in all of 30 seconds.

The tiny Killroy is cute and adorable. Is that a sticker or painted?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

Nice one!

Here is a darker one (taken with a smartphone):

Michael,

This is not only "dark" and foreboding, but also shows a powerful artistic expression with the stance and the variation in line thickness, giving the figure such power and character.

Can you enlighten us on what the image and other symbols might mean?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Michael,

I must return to this picture. Your composition takes in the curved sweep of the concrete highway structure and so integrates the street art into a coherent work. This is delightful artistry. I am so impressed that I have to comment on this an draw our attention to this once again.

Kudos,

Asher

Doug Kerr

Micheal, and Asher,

Michael,

I must return to this picture. Your composition takes in the curved sweep of the concrete highway structure and so integrates the street art into a coherent work. This is delightful artistry. I am so impressed that I have to comment on this an draw our attention to this once again.

This is indeed exquisite, at both stages!

Best regards,

Doug

Michael Nagel

Asher, Doug - Thanks!

The Kilroy shown was a combination of sticker and drawing.

Sometimes it is interesting to do a little research on the seen such as for the sticker below.

Searching for the name on the sticker helps to trace the design back to a tattoo artist working for a tattoo studio in Bogotá (Colombia).

The sticker is pretty small actually.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

I see some inspiration from Banksy in the next three works. The works were on a wall as a triptych. The pictures are shown first to last == left to right.

Best regards,

Michael,

We need humor! Thanks for the regular supply. I always enjoy you latest finds!

The smileys being delivered by an attack helicopter is wishful thinking and ironic. The statement on John Doe I find needs explanation, and perhaps that's the intent, as I don't understand the context of the words strung together, as one can interpret it in a number of uncertain ways.

The last defining quip about "Art" being authenticated by its price tag, I've heard before, but it's still very powerful as a commentary, again with many possible important meanings.

Having a price tags may only apply to art in the commercial realm of galleries and collectors, if we know it's highly likely that within some agreed timeframe, some real live person with money will gladly pay something approximating that price to acquire it.

I, however, am much more generous. Do we need to always sell art for it to be art. I doubt that.

Still, the quip is important to give a sense of reality to those who rely on a spouse for earning a living so they can do "Art"!

Asher

Michael Nagel

... The statement on John Doe I find needs explanation, and perhaps that's the intent, as I don't understand the context of the words strung together, as one can interpret it in a number of uncertain ways. ...

I assume that everyone is familiar with the use of 'John Doe' in the legal system and the medical system (unknown patient or victim) of the USA.

The artists uses the pseudonym 'John Doe' (look at the lower left corner of each work), so this introduction as 'unknown' or 'anonymous' has a more than light touch of absurd, which is in my eyes the intention of this work.

What would be your interpretations?

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

I assume that everyone is familiar with the use of 'John Doe' in the legal system and the medical system (unknown patient or victim) of the USA.......

What would be your interpretations?

Best regards,
Michael

Presenting: John Doe

And if you
..... Don't know

Now John.... Doe[then figure of boy writing]

Of course, Michael, I know about corpses with a "John Joe" label tied with some white string to the big toe of a newly discovered corpse, washed up at the banks of a river bend, LOL!

It's the parsing of the poetic text, I can't fathom.

It even has extra separating space between "John" and "Doe".

"If you don't know John Doe, now here I am!"

"If you don't know [the concept of] "now", [then here's an example of using that term the moment I stuck on the wall the last graphic]! [and revealed] "John Doe".

That is a start of my translational difficulties!

Asher

Michael Nagel

It's the parsing of the poetic text, I can't fathom.

It even has extra separating space between "John" and "Doe".
Maybe you are trying to see more than there is to be found.
A pause between first name and last name is apparently also used while announcing the fighter for a boxing match...

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Maybe you are trying to see more than there is to be found.
A pause between first name and last name is apparently also used while announcing the fighter for a boxing match...

Could be, Michael!

In the "Tonight Show", too, the announcer calls out at the top of his voice, with flourish and extension of every vowel, "Jimmy .......Fallon!", as if Elvis had been resurrected, LOL!

So I get it here too!

Asher

Michael Nagel

For those interested who are in Munich or plan to travel there until mid/end of October, works from Blek le Rat (like the above one) and other artists can be seen as a part of the Magic City exhibition. The exhibition will move to Stockholm on 1st of November.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

For those interested who are in Munich or plan to travel there until mid/end of October, works from Blek le Rat (like the above one) and other artists can be seen as a part of the Magic City exhibition. The exhibition will move to Stockholm on 1st of November.

Best regards,
Michael

It is interesting how some artists have managed to create a distinct branded personality. I wonder how much literature there is on the influence of particular artists on the culture of street art and on our broader society in general?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Best regards,
Michael

Thanks, Michael,

I owe Munich a visit but am not ready to travel again just yet! I will try to follow the press reports and see if there is a booklet produced for the exhibition that could be obtained.

It is interesting how some artists have managed to so distinguish themselves as to create a distinct branded personality. I wonder how much literature there is on the influence of particular artists on the culture of street art and on our broader society in general?

I found this, but no doubt there are books and more than a few Ph.D. thesis analyses which have established the careers of academics, who themselves spread "Le Rat's" influence further.

Asher