• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Portrait with the 50 1.2

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Victoria called as she was leaving work tonight. She wanted to pop by and catch up. While she was on her way I grabbed my 5D with the 50 1.2 and looked at the fading light and wondered how long it would take for her to arrive.

She arrived with the light almost gone. We talked about her latest news. Well, I could just listen.

So I made her a cup of English tea and took this picture.

Victoria_a_4566.jpg

"Victoria, February 13th 2007"

ISO 1000, f 1.2 and 1/30th sec

Asher

Antonio Correia

It's a nice portrait.

The model is turned on herself and the curve of the window in the back is well positioned.

Good composition.

The sepia was a good ideia as it gives a certain mood to the picture...

I could call this a classic portrait.

Cheers

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
One of the really rare photo posted by Asher!
And a beautifull one, but why sepia?
Is she looking backward? Hmmm not so sure!

I like the opposition between the 2 hands, focuswise.

Asher, thanks for sharing, we wait for more now! As I know you, you certainly did shoot 3000 pics of her in 10 minutes ;-)

nicolas claris

As Asher did ask for comments… second sight, second thoughts…

I would have changed my position to frame her in order to have her head between 2 vertical frames.

I would have move the chair to get a little of the ground visible all along the window frame lying on ground. Therefore the curve around her would be more present and bring a subtle underlining.

I'd like to see a little more of her shoe (the one on her back) and have the other one not hidden behind the chair leg.

All this would push strongly the model forward to the spectator.

I would have removed in PProd the curve on the right edge or have more of it in frame.

Plus color!

Oh, and the last one I would have put the signature somewhere else, maybe on bottom right. The place where it is positionned now does break the line of the window bar on ground…

IMHO - Always dangerous to ask me for comments ;;;-)

Asher Kelman

Hi Nicolas,

Victoria's coat is red. I preferred the Sepia as it reproduces the mood she had, whereas the red distracts and deceives the eye, after all that is why red is chosen.

Now I'll also show other images, maybe in sepia too but perhaps with the color.

Asher

nicolas claris

Hi Nicolas,

Victoria's coat is red. I preferred the Sepia as it reproduces the mood she had, whereas the red distracts and deceives the eye, after all that is why red is chosen.

Now I'll also show other images, maybe in sepia too but perhaps with the color.

Asher

Do you mean that with a red coat, you feel like a bull? LOL! couldn't resist. Joke intended!

Asher Kelman

This makes me wonder why Asher has that much equipment and we rarelly his photos ...

Leica; 70-200; 5D; 50; etc....

:) Joke intended.

Well, Antonio, you are to some extent correct. However, the Leica I do not own unfortunately, although I hope to. My collection of equipment is modest for what I need. The 5d is the only full frame I own and the most pixels.

I intend to share with you many more images, however, with my own work I have little time. Still, I'll post more shortly especially as we populate the RAW Image Library, which, while we're at you might perhpas consider contributing to and make my day happy! We need all the subject-camera-lens combination to make this resource really work.

Any way, back to me, yes I'll get more online, I promise!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Is this your daughter?

She is very beautiful. The angle you shot from was very interesting. I like the shot and not knowing the other colors but the red coat, I would think would be very interesting to selectively color the coat and then leave the rest in sepia. I would crop out the small curve to the right.

Asher Kelman

She is very beautiful. The angle you shot from was very interesting. I like the shot and not knowing the other colors but the red coat, I would think would be very interesting to selectively color the coat and then leave the rest in sepia. I would crop out the small curve to the right.

Not my daughter, Kathy but I would be happy if she were.

I shoot RAW and jpg. Thart's because jpg if corrupted seems to be rescued easier for some reason.

The curve on the right has to go and when I prepare the RAW I'll do so. I just wanted to get something to her immediately after the shoot and thought I'd post it as is.

There's a lot of indformation in a shot, and I like to limit that, hence the sepia.

The red might be another way to go in other pcitures in that series. Thanks for the suggestion.

Asher

Asher Kelman

As Asher did ask for comments… second sight, second thoughts…

I would have changed my position to frame her in order to have her head between 2 vertical frames.

Yes that's the obviously right thing to do. It works, the problem is that I wanted to have that black line joining her black hair down through her body and anchoring her to be suspended from above.

So I was breaking rules.

I would have move the chair to get a little of the ground visible all along the window frame lying on ground. Therefore the curve around her would be more present and bring a subtle underlining.

That halo will certainly give a great effect. However, here I needed her joined to the black and cutting through that rim of grey floor.

I'd like to see a little more of her shoe

I just wanted the split skirt and thigh i.e., availability plus with closed of legs, indicating the opposite!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

One longstanding way of working is to either plan the image in B&W, or to move to B&W to enhance the feelings of one's own, even quirky, point of view.

So I often make the images B&W! In fact I'd prefer a pure B&W camera and use filters do do what I do now!

Plus color!

Well, Nicolas, you are going to have to get over that. Sometimes I do not see in color. It's like manners, sometimes they are wonderful and sometimes get in the way!

IMHO - Always dangerous to ask me for comments ;;;-)

If I dish it out, I have to be prepared to taste it too! I'm thankful that you spend the time to think about what I've done!

Asher

Harvey Moore

Good slice of life photograph Asher

It fits in with the work I used to do many years ago with an M3.

Today, in the digital "geek" age, I am attempting to return to those days of my youth too many years ago. Using a 5D and enjoying photographing with it.

I did not notice your © notice untill pointed out, maybe reduce it's size a little to be less intrusive to the image. Creative position for though.

harvey

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
OK. Here is one of Caroline.

VX8Y7424.jpg

50 f1.2L 1DsMKII ISO 640 f2.2 160th spot EC +.67 window light

Can you guess why she is so excited?

Tim Armes

Hi Asher,

I personally really like this picture. I like the pose and the expression. I agree that the window frame behind her head is a little distracting, but not overly so. I think l'd personally crop some off the left and bottom off, which would shift the subject from the center and also remove the little curve on the right hand side.

What I love most is that gorgeously reduced depth of field that the 1.2 provides. It adds so much atmosphere, and really brings out the subjects beauty.

When visiting NY in a couple of weeks I indend to take advantage of the American prices to buy myself an 85mm. Alas, I'll only be getting the 1.8 version....

Tim

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

What I love most is that gorgeously reduced depth of field that the 1.2 provides. It adds so much atmosphere, and really brings out the subjects beauty.

When visiting NY in a couple of weeks I indend to take advantage of the American prices to buy myself an 85mm. Alas, I'll only be getting the 1.8 version....

Tim

Hi Tim,

When I work with the RAW, I'll rethink the image with these ideas in mind. Try this lens before the 85 1.2L. Also if you are using it on a 1DII or 20 or 30D then there's the x1.2 or x1.6 factor as well!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Will,

What a happy excited lady. So that beeper went off and cso what did she eat ion that restaurant!

Asher