• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

David's Food Photo Adventure

I'm experimenting with some food photography, which I've never done much of before, so I thought I'd start a diary that I'll confine to a single thread, just adding new images as I make them, along with some notes about the process and a self-critique. I'd be interested in more feedback on the images.

15 December 2007--Pureed pears

2007-12-15,PureedPears.jpg

I thought I’d start this with something simple to prepare, so that I could concentrate on photography. Pears, quartered and steamed for about 20 minutes, then run through the KitchenAid fruit and vegetable strainer attachment. Our one-year-old son loves them for breakfast. I wanted to show the steamed fruit in the pot, piled in the food tray, in the bowl after pressing, and I wanted to show how the KitchenAid separates the flesh from the stems, seeds, and peels.

The project proved not to be so simple visually. The pears in the feed tray were one still life, the mixer was a product shot, the bowls and the pot formed another composition, and it all had to work as a unified composition. To keep the waste peels coming out, I had to embed a toothpick in the tube of pomace as it emerged. I knew there would be some reflections to control, so I tried to position the camera so the bowls would reflect the other bowls and the wooden countertop.

My first observations--Food photography is hard work. It’s difficult for most people to imagine what goes into what seems to be the dumbest rendering of a burger, fries, and a drink. Controlling lighting, styling of the food, composition of the image, the shape of objects in the frame, is all a lot to think about, and usually involves a team of several people, but for now, I’m a team of one. And yes, after a four-hour still life shoot, a backache is to be expected.

I’m shooting in 8x10” using an old Sinar P that I bought for a fraction of its original price from a busy New York food studio. They kept it in good working order with new parts and it has a custom long bellows suited for still life work. It would be easier to shoot digital or a smaller format, but there’s nothing quite like a big slide on the light table, so I want to work in this medium, and to produce a portfolio of 8x10” transparencies. I like to cook, so I’m emphasizing food preparation. If I decide to try doing this professionally, there’s probably more money in the burger and fries, but I’d rather illustrate cookbooks.

I wanted to keep the lighting uncomplicated, but not soft, so I used a Norman 10” fresnel spot strobe head as the main light and a regular head in a plain 5” reflector with barndoors bounced off a 36” white reflector disk as the fill. I wanted the hard spot to provide some translucency in the pears on top and to show the texture of the puree. The lens--a classic Voigtländer 36cm/f:4.5 Heliar would balance the hardness of the light with some “Heliar glow.” With selective focus, the Heliar also gives a good sense of three-dimensionality. My goal here is food as a subject, large color transparencies as the medium, in the lighting style of classic Hollywood portraiture.

At first I was worried about shooting too many Polaroids, but after two-and-a-half hours of setup and composition on the groundglass before making the first exposure, $14 for a test shot seemed trivial. I made four of them for this shot.

In the first Polaroid I found too many distracting elements. I want the photographs to look natural like they are happening in a real working kitchen, as they are, but in practice, even a neat kitchen looks cluttered in a still photograph where the viewer has time to dwell on the scene, so the ice cream maker and extra wires in the background had to go. I also needed more controlled fill, so I adjusted the barndoors on the fill, so that some of the fill would be reflected from the reflector disk, and some would be overspill directly from the light. The first shot was also a bit overexposed.

The second shot was too dark, but now I had a big empty space where the irrelevant ice cream freezer was, so I moved the copper pot of steamed pears to the other side. By the third things were falling into place, but I still had an unattractive electrical outlet panel in the background. This I couldn’t eliminate without setting up a new background, which I didn’t really have time for on this shoot, but I could shoot at a wider aperture to throw it more out of focus, which would also make the shot a little brighter, as it needed to be. With the wider aperture, I wasn’t able to keep everything in focus that I wanted to be, so I let the fruit waste fall a little out of focus, since it isn’t so attractive anyway. The drop of juice from the strainer was unplanned, but worked out nicely. I realized I should have had more pears to make a bigger pile in the pot and more puree in the bowl to create a better sense of abundance, but, I had what I had.

The fourth worked, but I would have liked to have kept the verticals slightly more parallel, which I couldn’t do while keeping everything I wanted in focus. The puree needs more light. I didn’t have time to work in another light, but if I did, I would have added another light with a narrow snoot just on the puree. In retrospect, I think I also should have just used a more diffuse fill, rather than letting some of the direct light from the fill spill over, which got some light where it was needed but also produced harder reflections on the steel bowls than I would have wanted. There is also a stray reflection visible over the electrical outlet in the background, which I misjudged as a Polaroid artifact in the test shots, but later realized that it was on all four Polaroids, so it was obviously a lighting problem.

I shot the final transparencies on some past-date, but frozen Fuji Astia. I’ve tested this batch and I rate it at EI 80--same as Polaroid Type 809--and use an 81A filter, since it tends naturally toward the cool side. I made two exposures at f:11and f:9 since transparency film can have a range of “correct” exposures that have different tonalities. I probably should have run two more sheets at f:16 and 22 just to see how they really looked on film. Judging from the transparency, a little more DOF might have been a good thing.

janet Smith

pro member
My first observations--Food photography is hard work. It’s difficult for most people to imagine what goes into what seems to be the dumbest rendering of a burger, fries, and a drink. Controlling lighting, styling of the food, composition of the image, the shape of objects in the frame, is all a lot to think about, and usually involves a team of several people, but for now, I’m a team of one. And yes, after a four-hour still life shoot, a backache is to be expected

Hello David

I'm happy to see someone else having a go at this difficult, exacting, and at times downright frustrating subject.

Like you I am a team of one which doesn't help when you want something moving a cm one way or the other, I'm often kneeling on the floor or bent over and yes you definately get a back ache at the end of a session! (Pilates is a must after food photography)

A couple of observations which I hope are helpful...........

I find what looks to be a power point behind the food tray containing the pears a bit distracting there is also what seems to be a shadow in the top RHS, which again I find a bit distracting. It might have been better with just three of the bowls, IMHO it looks a little crowded in the bottom left hand side.

I think you've produced a nice overall compsition though, which can't have been easy with this subject matter (rather you than me!)....... well done!

I look forward to following your progress with great interest, I'm hoping to find time to have a go at my apple pie shot again, but I think it will be after Christmas now before I find time to set a day aside for photography.......

Thanks, Jan. That is helpful.

I've been trying to think of how to avoid that electrical outlet (what we call a "power point" over here) in the future, without running into some other distraction (the heating pipe, the fuse box, the door to the next room...), and I think I've got a spot on a table about a foot or two over to the left. It's a bit of a cramped space for a background stand, but I could also tape some seamless to the wall. Of course I could clone it out, but I'm trying to get it all right on film.

I think you're right that there are too many bowls. I thought yesterday after picking up the transparencies from the lab that I could have gotten rid of the mixer bowl, which isn't serving any purpose. On the other hand, it might have created another empty space, but then I could have arranged the others differently.

janet Smith

pro member
I thought yesterday after picking up the transparencies from the lab that I could have gotten rid of the mixer bowl, which isn't serving any purpose. On the other hand, it might have created another empty space, but then I could have arranged the others differently.

Hello David

It's always easy afterwards to think if I'd done this, or that, isn't it! The main thing I think is to do exactly what you're doing and have a go, we'll never get anywhere if we don't try and I think it's an excellent first attempt.

I look forward to seeing more.

Ron Morse

You said that you want to work in this medium but just until you get a few things worked out why don't you set up a digital camera and shoot until you get things as you want them. Then replace the digital with the sinar p 8x10 for the final shot. It would be like going to a seminar right in your home. A few tries and you would be done with the digital and save the $14 test pops. Seems like it would be cheaper and quicker.

For some things the digital preview works--like catching distracting elements and the general lighting, but a lot of it is also making sure my camera movements are right and seeing the effect of the lens and choice of aperture in the larger format, remembering to calculate bellows factor, and being sure the shutter is working properly. I probably could have saved one or two Polaroids by testing first with the digicam, but I'd still want one or two before switching to slide film, so the question becomes whether it's worth dealing with another camera system to save a couple of Polaroids or whether it's more efficient in the long run just to spend more time practicing with the big camera, even at the start of the shoot, with the idea that eventually, I won't need as many Polaroids.

Ray West

Hi David,

Thanks for your detailed explanation of what you were trying to do, I would not have guessed otherwise. I like machinery, I like food. I think here the emphasis is on the machinery. My machinery has more rust and oil, whereas yours looks very clinical. At first glance, it is difficult to see the food. A few ideas, which will overlap with yours and others, I expect -

A simple piece of card, or a wire frame with fabric, would hide the electrical socket. Maybe some patterned fabric, to make it all less clinical. Position the copper pan with the stewed pairs in a more obvious place, lose the stainless steel mixing bowl, maybe change the angle of the whole set up. I would hope there would be some juice, maybe dripping from where the pears are extruded. It sort of all looks a bit set up/posed. Now, of course, that may well be the style that you want, a sort of 'cook book standard', but it does not show the process of preparation. Maybe a dish, a fork, and a piece of muslin would give more emphasis to the fruit.

I'm trying to think, if there was a sequence, from left to right = pan of stewed pears, top tray of machine, extruded and dribble, collecting pot, perhaps a china one. The outlet nozzle in your image is far to the left, sort of looks as if you had to squeeze it in, in the present composition. Maybe on the left of my imagined scene, a couple of pears, or better some peelings and knife - or is that another machine?

I think this is a subject which will need much positioning of things, to get it right. The juicer is an awkward great beast that is bound to overpower the rest of it, unless somehow you can extract just the essential features of it. It would be much easier to portray the process with half a dozen photos.

Now, why can't I see you in a reflection somewhere? ;-)

Best wishes,

Ray

Thanks for your feedback, Ray.

One of the attractions of this gizmo is that you don't have to peel or core the fruit. The peels, seeds and stems are extruded from that nozzle all the way at the left, and the puree drips down where you see the drop of juice there. Inside the white shield with the nozzle at the end, there's a conical metal sieve with fine holes, and there is a screw inside that forces the fruit through the sieve. Anything that doesn't get through the holes is extruded as waste.

In addition to having more fruit, I think I'll try this again with a tighter composition. I don't really need to show the back of the mixer.

Ray West said:
Now, why can't I see you in a reflection somewhere? ;-)

Standard view camera trick--position the camera to the left or right of the reflective surface and use shift to recompose. That's how you can do things like photographing a mirror in the center of the frame without showing the camera in the mirror.

Ray West

Hi David,

I completely missed where the purée came out. I am not a cook, but I'm thinking how else I could use such a machine.

Completely off topic, (I hope you don't mind) but looking for something else last night (flash tube triggering) I came across this. This is much more exciting (I use a smaller one for grinding plastics)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx4QgK_xEfE

the wrong sort of flash (you call them strobes, I think)

Best wishes,

Ray

Someone mentioned that the scan looked a little magenta, so I've corrected and updated the photo (you may have to refresh your browser to see the most current version) to better reflect the transparency as best I can with my uncalibrated monitor. Hmm...that's something I need to look into.

ron_hiner

David... I love the lighting, and I appreciate your explanation.

I agree with Ray that this shot is more about the machinery than the pears. The composition pulls my eyes toward the bottom of frame -- where the most sharpness and detail is. If the goal is to produce food shots, the eye needs to be pulled toward the food. Two things I might suggest...

- a light over the pears to brighten them up, and tone down the light and sharpness elsewhere. You will probably have to snoot that light -- so you don't get any more light on the mixer.

- a higher camera angle making the food a central part of the picture.

I didn't even see the electric outlet until was pointed out in the thread. My eye always goes to brightness and sharpness first.... the outlet is neither. But I guess my point it that neither are the pears -- and they should be.

On an unrelated topic... I strongly recommend the ice cream maker that goes with that mixer... and throw away the recipe book that comes with it, and instead buy the Ben & Jerry's ice cream recipe book. Best ice cream ever! the whole kit will cost the same as a few Polaroids!

Great stuff! Can wait to see the progress!
Ron

Thanks, Ron. We already have a Cuisinart self-freezing ice cream maker, so it's easier to use than the KitchenAid one, though the motor makes a lot of noise. Fortunately the kitchen in our current apartment has a door, so we can let it run and go into another room and do something else.

Brisket

Braised meat is hard to make attractive in a photograph, so I thought I’d give it a go.

2008-01-23,Brisket4.jpg

Camera, lens and film are the same as for the pears above.

Lighting is a focused 10” fresnel spot strobe high and behind the meat and another head with a 5” reflector bounced off the ceiling with 400 W-s to each head. I didn’t measure the ratio, but it’s probably like 1:2.5. I made two Polaroids at the beginning and took six shots from raw to sliced and ready to serve, and I think this one works best. I wasn't quite sure how the baster would look with the strobes, so I took one without it as well, and I think it made the shot and solved some of the surface issues inherent in this subject.

You can see the other shots and the recipe at my sister’s food blog, where I post occasionally--

http://familyoffood.blogspot.com/2008/01/jewish-soul-food.html

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
What time are you serving?

I shoot food for fun too sometimes. I make brisket regularly but never thought to photograph it. You just can't add in the scent of it when you open the pot and it fills the house....that is the best part (that and the gravy)

janet Smith

pro member
Hi David

Nice one, I like it, you're right about the difficulty of photographing meat, I like the composition showing just 2/3 of the cooking pot & the handle in the top rhs, also you've managed the lighting well, well done....

Thanks for the comments. Yes, the aroma is a key part of the brisket experience.

In retrospect, I think I might have oriented the meat or the vegetables to play down that fatty part in the foreground.