• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tina Mae, part V

Fancy Black Dress and a hat

1:
299484664_7r4Tj-XL.jpg

2:
299484687_ApfWx-XL.jpg

3:
299484701_HKXgX-XL.jpg

4:
299484730_HodYL-XL.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Good series.

Hi Nik,

I have been withholding my comments on this series since I wanted to see how you'd develop it along the way. I now can say that the pictures were all good IQ-wise but the posing of the model has improved a lot towards the end. But there is always room for improvement, isn't there? Especially regarding the clothing and attributes. :)

Thanks for sharing these with us. You have been improving steadily and I am glad to follow your progress, albeit from a distance. Well done.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Nicolas,

The picture in # 3 is classic and I like it. I recognize the stool. So you took it! Yes it's a handsome accessory. You had better buy her another one, LOL!

This picture holds together in genre and form. This is a good job.

The first is very good better for her, IMHO, above her previous pictures for a head and shoulders and now this suits her person. It's a question not of what you can do rather what one should do for her. I like this and it's like an arrival one wants to greet.

What lens and position (distance) are you using for this shot? I have a niggling reserve on perspective of her nose. Go figure, that just me, I expect!

Genre: Beware of crossing genre. in one exhibit! The 2cd image is hard to digest as to where it easily fits, unless it is meant to shock. I'd avoid that strongly as it clashes with the elegance of image # 3 which is cabaret style, whereas # 2 is more vaudeville or U.S.A. Spanish sitcom where all the men are juveniles who want to see breasts and the women are setup like 5 a.m. milk cows yearning to be relieved of the pressure!

Thanks for sharing this journey. Nik you have put in a lot of work. Now take you wife out to dinner!

Asher

Hi Nik,

I have been withholding my comments on this series since I wanted to see how you'd develop it along the way. I now can say that the pictures were all good IQ-wise but the posing of the model has improved a lot towards the end. But there is always room for improvement, isn't there? Especially regarding the clothing and attributes. :)

Thanks for sharing these with us. You have been improving steadily and I am glad to follow your progress, albeit from a distance. Well done.

Cheers,

Cem, thank you!

You may wanna keep witholding: there are more looks in my processing queue:) lol

And yes, I agree, it does get better. I believe this is a well known phenomenon. Models get totally relaxed and it is clearly visible. That's why I usually require two hour session time minimum and try to save their best outfits for last.
It can be a little discouraging to know that the first hour (or even more) is more or less destined for the digital trash bin, but that pretty much is the rule of the game. The warmup period can be very short (10-15 minutes) for experienced pros, but it always exists.

Cheers!

Hi Nicolas,
The picture in # 3 is classic and I like it. I recognize the stool. So you took it! Yes it's a handsome accessory. You had better buy her another one, LOL!
Uhm, I'm confused. Took it where? This whole thing series was shot in my home studio...

Asher Kelman said:
This picture holds together in genre and form. This is a good job.

The first is very good better for her, IMHO, above her previous pictures for a head and shoulders and now this suits her person. It's a question not of what you can do rather what one should do for her. I like this and it's like an arrival one wants to greet.
Thank you! This batch (and the next one, soon to be published) was actually THE primary goal for the shoot (codename "Breakfast at Tiffany's" :), so I'm glad we managed to pull the results accross..:)

Asher Kelman said:
What lens and position (distance) are you using for this shot? I have a niggling reserve on perspective of her nose. Go figure, that just me, I expect!
Same thing as before: 17-55/2.8, few feet due to the space crampliness. And yes, she has a rather long pointy nose, so not many angles are favorable for her...

Asher Kelman said:
Genre: Beware of crossing genre. in one exhibit! The 2cd image is hard to digest as to where it easily fits, unless it is meant to shock. I'd avoid that strongly as it clashes with the elegance of image # 3 which is cabaret style, whereas # 2 is more vaudeville or U.S.A. Spanish sitcom where all the men are juveniles who want to see breasts and the women are setup like 5 a.m. milk cows yearning to be relieved of the pressure!
What can I say, she's large breasted and she knows it :)

Asher Kelman said:
Thanks for sharing this journey. Nik you have put in a lot of work. Now take you wife out to dinner!
Asher
All in due time, my friend:) I still have a few looks to process (trust me, you gonna love them:)...
And then, lo and behold, I have two shoots coming up this weekend, one in my studio (three models), one outdoors (single model, several locations, all in Ojai mountains). So stay tuned, cause next week gonna be interesting! :)

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
My studio

Nik,

Asher's comment about the stool probably came from his visit to my studio. You could have sworn they were shot there since I always keep the black background up and my posing stools are the same as the one you have used in the images.

I have been working closely with a Boudoir photographer who has done shooting for Maxim and Playboy and one thing that I have learned is that you really can't do women justice with a focal length of less than 50 and preferable to go at least to 85-105 to keep their facial features flattering. I learned that too in my workshop with Douglas Kirkland, who was the photographer for Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Uhm, I'm confused. Took it where? This whole thing series was shot in my home studio...
That stool is very special and has the look of the orient, maybe from Japan. I like it very much for posing. I just saw the identical one in Kathy's studio! That was what I was referring to!

I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

How did you get the full length shots, the lens and distance and is this a full frame sensor on you camera or is there some multiplication factor?

Asher

Nik,

Asher's comment about the stool probably came from his visit to my studio. You could have sworn they were shot there since I always keep the black background up and my posing stools are the same as the one you have used in the images.

Aaaah, gotcha, thanks!

Kathy Rappaport said:
I have been working closely with a Boudoir photographer who has done shooting for Maxim and Playboy and one thing that I have learned is that you really can't do women justice with a focal length of less than 50 and preferable to go at least to 85-105 to keep their facial features flattering. I learned that too in my workshop with Douglas Kirkland, who was the photographer for Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's.
I hear ya.. Very true.. Again, there are some physical limitations of both my studio space and my 40D's APC-szed sensor that prevents me from using longer glass, at least for anything taller than half-body. But I'm working on it...:)

Cem_Usakligil

Incredible!

.... one thing that I have learned is that you really can't do women justice with a focal length of less than 50 and preferable to go at least to 85-105 to keep their facial features flattering. I learned that too in my workshop with Douglas Kirkland, who was the photographer for Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

40D, x1.6 crop, EF-S 17-55/2.8 at 17mm, I think 8 ft.
Hi Nik,

You see, I fully agree with Kathy on this. Therefore, it is totally not done to have a full-length shot of your model from merely 8ft away using a 17mm lens! My, oh my (LOL). Nevertheless, given the circumstances, you have achieved pretty good results. Now show us what more can you do in a larger studio with a proper lens ;-).

Cheers,

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Nik,

You see, I fully agree with Kathy on this. Therefore, it is totally not done to have a full-length shot of your model from merely 8ft away using a 17mm lens! My, oh my (LOL). Nevertheless, given the circumstances, you have achieved pretty good results. Now show us what more can you do in a larger studio with a proper lens ;-).

Cheers,

Hmmmm… rules, rules, rules…
Rules are made to be broken…

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=49748&postcount=7

Sorry Nik, I didn't want to hijack your thread, just trying to advocate for a little freedom ;o)

Cem_Usakligil

I'm in for freedom

Hmmmm… rules, rules, rules…
Rules are made to be broken…

Sorry Nik, I didn't want to hijack your thread, just trying to advocate for a little freedom ;o)
Yes, we can break the rules. Heck, we should break the rules, occasionally. I even could repeat the worn-out cliché that you need to know the rules before you may break them but that is also a rule that must be broken ;-).

Let's have more freedom too! I'm all in for that.

Nicolas my friend, you know I liked those pictures of Caroline on the boat a lot regardless whichever lens has been used in the process. Don't you? Having said that, in the last picture her chin and lips seem to be a bit more pronounced than they should have been. So maybe you should have taken a longer lens and stepped a couple of meters backwards? (LOLOLOLOL)

......Now show us what more can you do in a larger studio with a proper lens ;-).
Cheers,
Well, once I get my hands on a larger place I will sure use it. Too bad they require some serious amounts of $$$ on a monthly basis. So for now I have to use what I am already paying for (i.e. give my mortgage run for its money:).