• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Help posting image?

Hi there, I am trying to upload a self-portrait and can't seem to do it! I click the "manage attachments" button and it says I have uploaded maximum number of files "1." It shows me a bunch of extensions but gives me no option. Little paper clip icon above does the same thing.

I actually have two self-portraits to upload, can I do both today? And, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Geraldine,

If I am not mistaken, the board does not allow uploading of pictures at all. Most people seem to be uploading their pictures elsewhere and linking to those within their posts. At least, that is what I do myself :).

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will set me right on this one ;-)

Regards,

Cem

Oh my Word! My brain just does not work that way. I'm an icon-clicking robot. Lol. Thanks, Diane, for the link. We'll see if I can figure it out! And thanks Cem for the help!

Diane Fields said:
First, open your image on your uploaded site, then copy the URL. At Pbase I can choose the size--it is usually preferred here that it is about 800 x 600 so I choose the med. or small version to copy
http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/52552763/medium then add .jpg to that URL
Put an in front of the URL

Put a at the end of the URL
as

Hope this helps. I can't type exactly what this is--because it will embed it---but--DO NOT INCLUDE THE SPACES---it is
URL]  .jpg
This is too complex, simply find the URL of the image (the http://www...jpg) and then, enter the URL of the image, and wham the image appears in the editor so you have immediate feedback about whether or not you got it right.

image_insertion.jpg

The usage of BB Tags (Bulletin Board Tags) are not necessary.

enjoy,

Sean

Last edited:

Diane Fields

Son of a gun--thanks Sean LOL. YOu do have to add the .jpg to the URL though--I tried without (just pasting the URL) and found it didn't work--added the .jpg and it popped right in. I thank you. Where is this posted on this site?? I went to the info at the bottom about images--and didn't find it there (or overlooked it) ?.

Just edited the image back out.

Diane

Last edited:

Don Lashier

Diane Fields said:
Where is this posted on this site?? I went the info at the bottom about images--and dind't find it there (or overlooked it).

Mouse-over the toolbar and the postcard will read out "Insert Image".

- DL

Diane Fields

Don Lashier said:
Mouse-over the toolbar and the postcard will read out "Insert Image".

- DL
Well---maybe its because I'm using my Wacom pen---but, though the icons select---I'm not getting a message---and I'll admit--I hadn't even tried mousing over. Ah--just tried it with the mouse and it works fine. Guess I hadn't even really looked at it--since the challenge was the first time I had inserted an image. Thanks Don--and Sean *smile*. Learned something new---I've always used the BB 'rules' for image inserting on this style forum.

Diane

Diane Fields said:
Well---maybe its because I'm using my Wacom pen---but, though the icons select---I'm not getting a message---and I'll admit--I hadn't even tried mousing over. Ah--just tried it with the mouse and it works fine. Guess I hadn't even really looked at it--since the challenge was the first time I had inserted an image. Thanks Don--and Sean *smile*. Learned something new---I've always used the BB 'rules' for image inserting on this style forum.

Diane
You are welcome.

That said, the mouseover effect on Windows is called a tooltip (I included it in my screen capture).

With the Wacom (all I use) simply place the cursor over the button you want info about and carefully lift the pen vertically so the cursor remains over the button. Then wait a second or two. The trick is the cursor needs to be perfectly steady and that is hard with the stylus. But taking the stylus away from the tablet achieves this by removing all input (but getting the vertical lift right can take practice).

enjoy,

Sean

Diane Fields

Sean DeMerchant said:
You are welcome.

That said, the mouseover effect on Windows is called a tooltip (I included it in my screen capture).

With the Wacom (all I use) simply place the cursor over the button you want info about and carefully lift the pen vertically so the cursor remains over the button. Then wait a second or two. The trick is the cursor needs to be perfectly steady and that is hard with the stylus. But taking the stylus away from the tablet achieves this by removing all input (but getting the vertical lift right can take practice).

enjoy,

Sean

Thanks again--I never have trouble having the tooltips show in PSCS, for instance. I only use a Wacom--so I had to scramble around to find my mouse in a pullout under my desk. However--since we're on this and totally OT---are you using a different browser--or on a Mac?? This is what I get to insert an image
original.jpg

Thanks for your help. After many years on forums, graphics, etc.---there are tricks here and there one just hasn't picked up for one reason or another.

Diane

Diane Fields said:
Thanks again--I never have trouble having the tooltips show in PSCS, for instance. I only use a Wacom--so I had to scramble around to find my mouse in a pullout under my desk. However--since we're on this and totally OT---are you using a different browser--or on a Mac?? This is what I get to insert an image

Thanks for your help. After many years on forums, graphics, etc.---there are tricks here and there one just hasn't picked up for one reason or another.
I use Firefox rather than Internet Explorer. I use it mostly for the tabbed browsing (which is in IE 7, but IE 7 is beta software) as it helps me organize groups of windows into groups (I often have 30-80 web pages open simultaneously as they serve as notes).

No problem with the help. :) As to tips and tricks there are a so many of them out there we just learn the ones we need that we are exposed to. For instance, before I got the Wacom I did not know how to use the keyboard for text selection, I just used the mouse. And now that I know the keyboard text selection techniques I cannot believe I never learned them before (using SHIFT, CTRL, and the arrow keys) as it is much faster most the time. Heck, with PS I only know the left handed keyboard shortcuts well as my right hand is typically on the stylus.

enjoy,

Sean

Last edited:

Diane Fields

Yes, and at that---I only know the ones that I use all the time--so I'm sure I'm missing out on some that could be helpful (PS). BTW--that is NOT my tooltip---the tooltip, I found, is just a small discreet square that says 'insert image' with a stroke around it. What I showed is the actual prompt TO insert.

Thanks again,
Diane

Diane Fields said:
Y BTW--that is NOT my tooltip---the tooltip, I found, is just a small discreet square that says 'insert image' with a stroke around it. What I showed is the actual prompt TO insert.

That is what I thought. My "screen capture" was technically a composite of 2 captures to get the highlighted button and tooltip plus the dialog box.

OK I will try this!

64936986.uTKJ8MCG.meandgus.jpg

It worked! Thanks Sean!

OK, now to the photo. I love this bird more than life itself. He has been my little companion through many horrific personal tragedies and he means the world to me. I wanted to reflect this in the photo and I'm happy with everything except for him. He's not sharp and was fixated on some bird outside and I couldn't get him to turn his head. Not the best portrait of him...

It was taken with the camera funtion of a miniDV but can reproduce it on the 4x5. So, I can redo it. Does my finger look awkward? I didn't know what to do with it, lol.

Thanks for all input!!

Last edited:
He's a Timneh African Grey. That's the smaller, darker less vocal version of the popular Congo African Grey. He's nine and has been blessed with excellent health!