• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

LED Lighting

Rhys Sage

pro member
I notice that LEDs are available in white. I recall a time when they were solely red, green or amber.

I also notice people on ebay in China selling packs of 100 5mm white LEDs for about $10. Has anybody tried to build lighting from LEDs?

My only experience of LEDs is the darkroom safelight I built from red LEDs some years ago. It was pretty dim and did the job well. I think LEDs are brighter now.

I do notice that B&H sells LED studio lighting panels. They're horrendously expensive though.

Would the results be good for LEDs if one were to build LED lighting for small product photos? I can see an LED panel would be great to place underneath bottles etc.

Rhys Sage

pro member
Well, I bought a pair of LED spotlight for $17 including P&P etc. They'll fit in the ordinary household lamp sockets so if they turn out to be absolutely awful I can at least use them as closet lights.

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi,

Would be interested to hear how you get on with these.

LEDs are certainly a lot brighter now than they used to be. My own experience of white LEDs is limited to head-torches, where they are now used extensively. One thing I've noticed with these though is that they provide a much bluer light than a traditional torch, so might be something to be aware of in a studio setup.

Cheers,

Rhys Sage

pro member
Hi,

Would be interested to hear how you get on with these.

LEDs are certainly a lot brighter now than they used to be. My own experience of white LEDs is limited to head-torches, where they are now used extensively. One thing I've noticed with these though is that they provide a much bluer light than a traditional torch, so might be something to be aware of in a studio setup.

Cheers,

I've seen a lot with a blue tinge but I've also seen them with a creamy colour.

Pablo Montes

Leds

New led technology has increased its average emitted powers since the discovery of the truncated inverted pyramid geometry, The Philips´s SuperFlux and Luxeon models are the ones you should look for this application since they are capable of more than 200lm.

As we all know ideal white light is a combination of ALL the frecuency spectrum. Led however emit by kind of a reversed photoelectric quantum effect and as a quantum fenomena the emit on a discrete set of frecuencies. white LED are engineered so the eye can consider its emission spectra to be white.

I dont know what will happen but i think that for CCD and CMOS sensors results may be different from what you see with your eyes. kind of like fluorecent light.

John Sheehy

white LED are engineered so the eye can consider its emission spectra to be white.

I just looked through my diffraction-grating glasses at a small LED flashlight with three "white" (slightly blue) LEDs I have here, and the spectrum is seemingly continuous except right between green and blue there is a small dark band. I was expecting to only see about 4 narrow frequency bands, and was surprised that it was nearly continuous. Many of the spiral flourescent household bulbs, for example, have lots of big frequency gaps.

It's nothing to do with photography but I have an anchor light on top of my boat's T-Top that is LED and even though it is very small (about 2 inch diameter) it is visible from almost 2 miles away:)

Rhys Sage

pro member
I went on a shopping trip today - nothing exciting though...

I got a small multiple LED flashlight, a second (more powerful) florescent bulb, black construction paper, a poster frame with perspex/plexiglass (it was cheaper than buying perspex/plexiglass) and some mirror spray.

I already have various other bits and bobs and will do some more product shots maybe on Monday when both stepson and wife are at their day jobs.

Andrew Stannard

pro member
I just looked through my diffraction-grating glasses at a small LED flashlight with three "white" (slightly blue) LEDs I have here, and the spectrum is seemingly continuous

That's interesting, and like you say somewhat unexpected for LEDs. Did a bit of digging on wikipedia though...

Turns out most 'white' LEDs are actually blue LEDs with a phosphorus coating. The phosphorus is excited by the LED output and in turn produces a much broader spectrum output. Also explains the slight blueish tinge that you can sometime get.

Rhys Sage

pro member
My LED flashlight turned out to be more blue than white. It's usable as a flashlight though and pretty darned good as there's no dead spot in the centre.

The mirror spray was a waste of money as was the poster frame. The perspex was badly flawed and the spray was the same as any spray I could have had elsewhere for 1/3rd of the price.

I haven't tried the bulb nor the construction paper yet but judging by the fact everything else I bought on that trip turned out to be a waste of money....

John Sheehy

My LED flashlight turned out to be more blue than white.

These blue-tinted lights are not ideal for digital photography, but not because they aren't truly white. The best light for most digital cameras has an R:G:B ratio of about 1.9:1:1.4, a pinkish magenta. Deep shadow noise has no overall color cast, and all three channels clip at the same level in a white subject, for a maximum full-color DR.

Most of the bluish-looking lights are a bit red-starved; more so than true daylight.

Rhys Sage

pro member
These blue-tinted lights are not ideal for digital photography, but not because they aren't truly white. The best light for most digital cameras has an R:G:B ratio of about 1.9:1:1.4, a pinkish magenta. Deep shadow noise has no overall color cast, and all three channels clip at the same level in a white subject, for a maximum full-color DR.

Most of the bluish-looking lights are a bit red-starved; more so than true daylight.

I can always do a B/W conversion and then sepia tone. That's very popular here. I have some nice sepia stuff that I've done...

This isn't one of them :p

I had a quick go at this with PSE2 but it needs scratches, folds, torn corners and a better sepia colour.
2837120552_09f68a06d0_b.jpg

Rhys Sage

pro member
My LED bulb arrived from China. It's a little on the blue side but should illuminate a blue or green bottle quite well. I'll have to try some test photos in a day or two.

Pablo Montes

The best light for most digital cameras has an R:G:B ratio of about 1.9:1:1.4, a pinkish magenta.

I was thinking how would you like if i designed a led lighting circuit trying to put RGB diodes to that particular proportion?

If yes, what would be the other desired characteristics? variable proportion?, battery operation?

I intend it to be a simple circuit so everyone(including me) sould be able to build it at home. Please feedback.

Rhys Sage

pro member
I was thinking how would you like if i designed a led lighting circuit trying to put RGB diodes to that particular proportion?

If yes, what would be the other desired characteristics? variable proportion?, battery operation?

I intend it to be a simple circuit so everyone(including me) sould be able to build it at home. Please feedback.

That sounds fun!