• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Post your Night Location Model Photos! (a series)

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Here is one.

Will_Thompson_C_2009_012K7342.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Will,

Your new signature states:
Unless otherwise stated all photos I post are for positive comment only, Not Critique!
This is not a usual choice we have over here. You can always go for the option: Just sharing. This means just look but no C&C is asked for. Besides: you cannot challenge us (which is the qualifier of this post) and then do not accept C&C, it is a contradiction.

If you are looking for praise only without the constructive criticism, I am afraid you won't get much, not from me in any case.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here is one.

Will_Thompson_C_2009_012K7342.jpg

Hi Will,

I bring you cherries, but they might have pits as well as the ripe flesh you would like. So in that vein I will approach your photograph, even though you have not asked for critique rather to know what works for us. Well you are in luck. I happen to like this photograph. There is no pretense of a natural body of water. This is a commercial green-bottomed swimming pool lit attractively, probably from under water. I expect you are using a Norman flash as you have a lot of them and that would be perfect for this type of location shot although you could have use a 580 EXII on camera Canon flash, but why would you when you have so much more power avaialble. Did you use a hair light. I'm just wondering about the bright spot at the back of her head.

I like her tentative pose, thrusting her thumb into her pants by her left thigh and posing. The picture is not of a shapely model setup for a fashion shoot but an attractive woman posing for a glamor shot. In this it has a very human element. she is working well and doing her best and I like that effort.

It's not Vogue or Elle or pretentious, just a girl trying to present herself as attractive as possible without being vulgar. The railing, BTW, is not a distraction for me and in fact adds some "security" to the picture, that this is not affected, but honest.

For the very reason that she seems like "The girl Next Door" and not an Elite Fashion Model, I find her interesting. I hope you work with her more in new locations. Just don't make her sexy.=

Asher

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Asher, No way could you light this with canon strobes unless you used 12 of them. To get enough DOF I shot at f5.6. I used 3 Norman 400B strobes with 50 watt modeling lights for a total of 300WS. With out the modeling lights the 1DsMKIII would not focus and you could not see what you were doing. The hair light is the water backlight strobe reflecting off of the surface of the pool from behind or maybe directly (needed to keep here shadow out of the pool). The green is the color of the water, the pool bottom is off white.

The funny thing is that I was just testing the hi power modeling lights with my new 12V battery operation conversion for the norman LH500 heads.

Asher Kelman

One more for this series!

Will_Thompson_C_2009_256A3896.jpg
I enjoy the pose of the model and the red rail. These form a relaxed and rigid arms of a cross pattern that's very effective. I'd soften the b.g. a little since the detail there is utterly not needed and distracts.

Asher

Doug Kerr

The funny thing is that I was just testing the hi power modeling lights with my new 12V battery operation conversion for the norman LH500 heads.
Will has done a very clever job of providing for these relatively potent battery-mode modeling lights for his fleet of Norman warriors (he had kept me up to date on that project). Clearly they facilitate the kind of work he exhibits in this thread.

He is a master of the adaptation of electronic gear. (I'm not bad at that myself, but my hat continuously goes off to Will.) In an earlier time, Will himself might have been a Norman (perhaps William Iron Arm).

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Will,
One more for this series!

Will_Thompson_C_2009_256A3896.jpg
Neat shot.

I would have preferred to see the lighting on the screen beyond the model not quite so hot - the image there somewhat distracts from the composition. (I know from our private discussion some of the reasons it came out that way!) It almost suggests that this more distant site is where the action should take place - perhaps the fellow we see is the stylist, waiting for the arrival of the real model.

Again, a nice piece of work.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Will,

Thanks Asher, Here is one more.

Will_Thompson_C_2009_256A5111.jpg
This fabulously takes advantage of this unique model. The concept is exquisite.

The shadow detail is just right.

If I would suggest any change, it would be to move the hair strands a little farther from the mouth. It would also probably be better with the chemise (or whatever) not showing at the neckline. In some cases, a "peek" there is fetching, but here it just looks like a styling lapse. (I know you don't enjoy fiddling with the models' garments, but . . .)

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Will,

This fabulously takes advantage of this unique model. The concept is exquisite.

The shadow detail is just right.

If I would suggest any change, it would be to move the hair strands a little farther from the mouth. It would also probably be better with the chemise (or whatever) not showing at the neckline. In some cases, a "peek" there is fetching, but here it just looks like a styling lapse. (I know you don't enjoy fiddling with the models' garments, but . . .)

Best regards,

Doug
It would be better without the chemise?

Will_Thompson_C_2009_256A5111.jpg

It would be better with that pose, that look and that location without the blouse too! not a joke, I'm straight serious! :)

asher

Asher Kelman

And a tricky one! (Those that already know keep quiet!) Guess the the outdoor location???

Will_Thompson_C_2009_256A9267.jpg

Hi Will,

I don't know where this was taken but I do know I like the image. The girl is special. Your characters are very straightforward with some honesty and reality in them. This girl is suck a real person I can like to see. The reflection in the mirror shows a different mood and reminds me of a classic picture of a girl in a Paris bar, which I will dig up.

This picture is not trivial to me. However, I believe there is more work to do in developing its potential. I am concerned that the digital camera, even the 35 mm film camera both allow too many easy photographs. We need to slow time and invest in the processing afterwards.

So I'm going to trust our friendship and and expose myself to criticism by showing how I think this image might be processed. Your work in color is very special and fine at that! Kudos. But, I wonder, does it need the color. It's more than just a girl in a night shot, there's her reflection and that appears to show a somewhat different mood. That's important. So I thought it should be looked at in B&W too:

Will_Thompson_C_2009_256A9267_BW.jpg

Will Thompson Girl with Her Reflection B&W and Editing AK

I think you should spend more time with your existing work. This is where you will make the most satisfactory achievements. I'm proud of you!

Asher :)

Asher Kelman

Will,

You haven't commented on my remarks but you posted another so you cannot be mad at me! Feedback is welcome both ways!

Will_Thompson_C_2009_012K7633.jpg

Will Thompson Model, unnamed

She has such a natural all American beauty without superficiality. So we are approaching her and not just fashion. This picture once again has a edgy natural probe into the circle of intimacy of the subject. I like this style and the simple device of not showing the entire width of the lamppost and thus really bringing us in towards her. This is to me very tight but without utterly cramping the composition to destruction.

I'd love to see a version with a little more of the lamppost to learn how it changes. Also I'm puzzled by the use of the Norman strobe when she is under the light of the lamppost, unless there is no light from there. The shadow from the flash shows that the setup is a setup! However, maybe that's why these pictures work so well for me. They show women who want to work as models getting shots for that and being models.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Will,

Here is one from Friday night!

Will_Thompson_C_2009_012K7633.jpg
Exquisite. Very sensuous, in a wholly "civilized" way.

I can't tell for certain from the reduced resolution version you posted, but it looks as if the face might be a little "soft" (perhaps OOF - not too much DoF at f/4.0 and 50 mm). (Perhaps you follow my practice as to a focus target in such cases.)

Best regards,

Doug

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Last one

Will,

I like the look of the model - she adds some class to your portfolio. iI'd love to see the rest of the shoot. The styling on this is very nice - well done.

As for my critique, that is best saved for a telephone conversation

Asher Kelman

Well, it is certainly much more painterly centered on the page. Will, why didn't you think of that? Oh well, that's what master classes are for.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug,

That's why posting an oversize print on to a page, or leaving a tiny image in one edge, of the page really can't do it justice. One needs to create a peaceful isolation in which an image can be allowed to exist. This is not a trivial nicety but an important part of making art. There needs to be a satisfactory setting in which a work can breathe air into its nostrils and exert its natural dominance or "spirit of being". So whenever I can, I reset images to have clean white space above and below them to show my respect and appreciation to their worth.

Asher

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Doug,

That's why posting an oversize print on to a page, or leaving a tiny image on one edge of the page, really can't do it justice.
I'm not sure I know what the latter phrase means.

One needs to create a peaceful isolation in which an image can be allowed to exist. This is not a trivial nicety but an important part of making art. There needs to be a satisfactory setting in which a work can breathe air into its nostrils and exert its natural dominance or "spirit of being". So whenever I can, I reset images to have clean white space above and below them to show my respect and appreciation to their worth.Asher
I well understand. I was just "pulling the professor's leg".

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited by a moderator: