• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Red Dog Journal - First Impressions of Lumix GF1

fahim mohammed

Tony nice to see you in the forum. Been seeing your work at log-on!

Interesting and timely blog as I am investigating the same currently.

Regards.

Tony Bonanno

pro member
Tony nice to see you in the forum. Been seeing your work at log-on!

Interesting and timely blog as I am investigating the same currently.

Regards.

Hi Fahim,

Wish I had more time to spend on the forum. I rarely seem to log in to any of them anymore, but this one is sure one of the more worthwhile venues.

I do think the micro 4/3rds cameras such as the Lumix GF1 and the Olympus EP1 and EP2 are generating a lot of interest among serious photographers. And for good reason. I'm looking forward to seeing how this form factor evolves over the next few years. As a working photographer, I have had few options for either myself or my clients other than large DSLR's. The GF1 has given me a new tool to work with that suits my personal style very well. Maybe not for my clients, but certainly for my street work and personal work.

Wishing you the best,

Tony Bonanno

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Fahim,

Wish I had more time to spend on the forum. I rarely seem to log in to any of them anymore, but this one is sure one of the more worthwhile venues.
We're delighted to have have you!

I do think the micro 4/3rds cameras such as the Lumix GF1 and the Olympus EP1 and EP2 are generating a lot of interest among serious photographers.
Tony,

What about the seduction of low light sensitivity and the fact that the latest DSLR's have trained us to expect so much?

Asher

Tony Bonanno

pro member
We're delighted to have have you!

Tony,

What about the seduction of low light sensitivity and the fact that the latest DSLR's have trained us to expect so much?

Asher

Hi Asher,

No question that high ISO performance is altering the way some of us are shooting and has opened the doors to some techniques that we wouldn't have dreamed of 5 years ago. Especially the club, entertainment, and event shooters. I have to admit, my Canon 1DsIII and 1DIII seem sorely lacking in that area compared to the newest gear. And unfortunately, there are times when I really could use the latest high ISO capability. On the other hand, its all relative and you make the accommodation as required. This technology treadmill is very frustrating (and also somewhat fascinating) for old timers like me. I do think the current 4/3rd sensors will (and do now) have some challenges ahead regarding their low light sensitivity. But I'm sure they will improve. The real appeal of this new genre is their "performance/size" ratio. They do a superb job all things considered. Of course the bottom line is the user needs to work within the parameters of the gear, and apply his/her vision within that framework. What I loved about the GF1, is that I finally found a digital camera that let me shoot in a manner that I thought was long gone.. a compact "leica size" form factor that gave me results similar to what I use to get with Tri-X 400. I admit I use the camera mainly for B&W. I love the fact that I have a camera that is this portable and doesn't hesitate to auto-focus, is fast shooting (not like a DSLR, but fast in the sense that it is a good "street shooter"), gives me interchangeable lenses, manual or AF, and reasonable noise levels. Nice to see some relatively shallow DOF when I want it also (compared to the usual P&S).

Got to run.. Suppose to be printing and getting ready for a presentation at Photo-Eye Gallery tonight here in Santa Fe. (Of course its snowing which should thin out the audience pretty well :).

Tony