• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Image From A New Member

Bill Doherty

Hello everybody. I thought it might be fun to post one of my photographs here and see what you think. The original photographs are shot as raw files, then are pp'ed in ACR & CS2. I print them up to 30 inches on the long side, on Lexjet Sunset Air Dried Fibre Gloss paper. Here is one of my newer images:

higher2.png

If you are interested in seeing more of my photographs, you are welcome to visit my wesite:
http://www.photologicdesign.com

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Bill

You forgot the www to the url of your image…

Be welcome on board OPF!

Just browse freely around and choose if you should post some more images in the "abstract" forum…

Very interesting indeed image but we need some more explanations on the why and the what…

Bill Doherty

Hi Nicolas, Don and John. These are photographs, of pieces, of colored or stained glass. The kind you would make stained glass windows of. The actual image of the glass is not PhotoShopped that much. I print these out so large that I don't corp very much either. I keep the pixel count as high as possible. I make a lot of copy layers and create the borders, boxes and spheres from that. I make duplicate layers to create the mirror images. Some of these images had up to eighteen or twenty layers before flattening. That is the only way I can control the over-all image contrast and color. The glass is shot with a Canon 100mm f2.8 macro lens, at different distances, or even 1:1. The glass is sometimes back lit, sometimes front lit, sometimes both. I have shot images of other things to include, like Abalone Shells.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Bill,

A huge welcome to OPF. We're glad to have someone who photographs with the intent of expressing something in the mind and then putting in labor to refine that to dleiver a special and unique concept. Here, obviously, the work part was considerably shifted to the photoshop layer modifications.

Tell me, is this meant to mean something? I expect no particular answer and there is no judgement based on you ranswer, just that I would like to know whether you beieve this means something or not. I do not grade pictures! I just want to learn about the photographer's thoughts an motivations before I contaminate the discussioin with any thoughts of my own.

Then I'll try to comment!

Thanks for sharing. This is diferent!

Asher

Bill Doherty

Asher- There are no hidden meanings, or any other meanings. They should pose the question to each viewer: What does it mean to you? They are exorcises in form, color and, hopefully, movement. Does that mean no "thought processes" were used to create these? Of course not! A lot of thought goes into each one! I think in terms of balance, symmetry, or asymmetry,color and weight. But, I took great measures to not have them represent anything recognizable. Once they are hung on the wall, so to speak, each viewer is invited to see whatever you like.

Sue Butler

Interesting

Hi Bill,

There is definitely movement, colour and form in this picture.
I like how it can be left open to people's own personal interpretation.
It has a feeling of power and spirituality for me.
Almost a desert tempest with the purple clouds and gold/orange swirling sand. And sitting high amongst that a god looking down.

regards,
Sue

Bill Doherty

Hi Sue. WOW! Thank you so much. That is the nicest complement you could give my work. I am so happy it evoked such a vivid, describable feeling in you.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher- There are no hidden meanings, or any other meanings. They should pose the question to each viewer: What does it mean to you? They are exorcises in form, color and, hopefully, movement. Does that mean no "thought processes" were used to create these? Of course not! A lot of thought goes into each one! I think in terms of balance, symmetry, or asymmetry,color and weight. But, I took great measures to not have them represent anything recognizable. Once they are hung on the wall, so to speak, each viewer is invited to see whatever you like.

Thanks Bill for sharing more of your motivations. You are then making images that have patterns you like but without any particular frame of reference except that you believe and (were correct) that others might enjoy the effects you have created.

That to me is in itself interesting. Especially in that a lot of thought went into the work. Are you thinking, this is pretty, or this will make them wonder?

I find your work unusual although you might know if there are other artists who have used these constructions.

Asher

John_Nevill

Bill, thanks for providing an insight. What surpsrises me about OPF and moreso your images, is the diversity of imagery and the willingness to share methodology. I would never have guessed how your images were made. Definitely leftfield stuff and its growing on me!

Bill Doherty

Asher & John- Thank you for your kind words! I do not know of anybody else doing this. I developed the idea on my own. My registered Copyright dates will bare witness to my time-line. I am working with a large format, high resolution printer here, that is willing to work with me. We do a lot of color tests, and it took a while to find the right paper, but, printed at 30 inches tall, they are quite striking. They are getting a very favorable response at the gallery!

Bill Doherty

Asher- I'm sorry, I skipped over your question above. When I create a piece, any piece, not just this series, my goal is always to make the viewer think! Whether or not you think it is "pretty", is up to you.