• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Boat Shots - Something a little bigger!

John Harper

Hi there

In answer to Ashers comment about posting some more boat shots I thought I would upload a shot of something a little bigger.

Its the stern of the Queen Mary 2 as she was berthed in Southampton just before her maiden voyage in January 2004.

Again this was shot from the Isle of Wight ferry. I like the picture because of the figures that can be seen walking around the rear of the ship. You cannot make out individual faces but you wonder what each of their stories is, why they are on board, and what they are thinking.

Tech details:

Eos 300D 70-200 F2.8L IS @ 160mm ISO 400 1/4000 @ f4.5

John

qm2a.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
John,

I like the massive scale of the boat! The tiny figures allow us to immediately be impressed! I was surprised at the power of the view from the stern. The slight angle of the Queen Mary II from horizontal, helps to give the feeling of floating on water.

I don't know whether or not stabilizers prevent this under normal circumstances or if this is just the way the picture was taken.

Asher

I'm impressed that you cleaned the boat before the picture :)

John Harper

John,

I like the massive scale of the boat! The tiny figures allow us to immediately be impressed! I was surprised at the power of the view from the stern. The slight angle of the Queen Mary II from horizontal, helps to give the feeling of floating on water.

I don't know whether or not stabilizers prevent this under normal circumstances or if this is just the way the picture was taken.

Asher

I'm impressed that you cleaned the boat before the picture :)

Hi Asher

Yes it took me a couple of days to clean it but i thought it worth the effort :)

I had intended to have the boat level but i must have screwed up in rotating the image :(

I quite like the image, the people do give some idea of the shear scale of the vessel, looking for more boat pictures after my post yesterday led me to look at shots i hadn't considered before. I will try and find another couple to upload.

John

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I hate "Wow!" posts, but this is justified!

Bigger than I'd have imagined! Wow! Amazing the captain doesn't rip up the dock getting the boat tied up. I guess that's the job of tug boats?

I guess it's a cruise boat. Were you on it! Kathy I'm impressed. I hope you have more! I just saw your second picture, it has a very delayed loading. A rainbow over the harbor. Impressive. Did you happen to take shots to your right to so they can be stitched? For sure you have many more!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Yes, I was a passenger in December

Yes, that was my vacation in December. We took the cruise from Fort Lauderdale and stopped at Grand Turk, St. Thomas, The Bahamas and San Juan. We took a photography excursion and our timing was just right for the rainbow shot. I didn't think about doing a panorama, so I will have to look at the archives and see what I kept.

Oh - Asher - the ship has sideways thrusters so it can just scoot right in sideways. The captain, a nice man from Scotland, who wore his kilt on formal night, was playing bagpipe music for the full harbor to hear while he parked the ship....