• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

bw from Ektachrome

Klaus Esser

pro member
IvanaSessel.jpg

Klaus, nice elegant shot,

I have to do the opposite, make a C-print (traditional enlarger color photo) from a bw negative. What do you think i should use for the enlarger filters?

Klaus, you always have the best solution but "for the other half", we have to use "the poor-mans" alternatives.

For example: one box of 100 sheets of 20 x 24 (50.8CM X 60.96CM) costs about $100, so, it is about $1/print. My Own Color Lab costs $11/h to print, so this is the most cost effective way to make prints that size that are archival, no?

Anyway, it is a lot of fun to put a negative in the enlarger and physically making a print.

All of this translates in to:

"I know you have a drum scanner and I envy you for that" :) take care Klaus...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Leonardo,

While I have a lot of B&W darkroom experience, color, at least with the equipment available to me then years ago, was difficult to use with the drums on rollers and filters by guess-timation!

What's your setup and can you get the color of a big lab?

Asher

Klaus Esser

pro member
Klaus, you always have the best solution but "for the other half", we have to use "the poor-mans" alternatives.

For example: one box of 100 sheets of 20 x 24 (50.8CM X 60.96CM) costs about $100, so, it is about $1/print. My Own Color Lab costs $11/h to print, so this is the most cost effective way to make prints that size that are archival, no?

Anyway, it is a lot of fun to put a negative in the enlarger and physically making a print.

All of this translates in to:

"I know you have a drum scanner and I envy you for that" :) take care Klaus...

Leo - i understand.
But when you wrote " i have to do", i implicated it´s about a job. Otherwise i myself would say " i want to do" - when it´s private fun. Knowing it´s NOT a job, i wouldn´t suggest expensive handling it!
Ok? :)

best, Klaus

Asher Kelman

I could just sat, nice work, I like it!

Karl,

Certain pictures make me linger!

I like the way you have posed the model and even the clean sofa. Here arms and encase her head like petal the feminine center of the flower, who knows what it might mean, if anhything, maybe an offering to fertilization. That is what a lot of the attraction is about; provocative but uncertain.

The pointing of the triangle between her legs adds to this sense of possiblity in a suggestive destination.

Great geometry, and the body is set like the coils of a snake, ready for you. The whole sofa is covered and beyond, indicating, it's really a tease and you'll have to fight to get me, or maybe I'll get you.

That 's just my own interpretation of how I perceive your picture and is not based on any laws or rules or history of art, just how I feel. I can't just say I like the picture. I do, but your image, made me bother to stop and look at her and wonder.

Black and white is important for this since it then is just tonality and to me more intimate. There is less distraction in prettiness of things and it's more about the girl and what she might be.

Of course we never know. Maybe she is "just a model", but we don't know as she has no glitter and razzle-dazzle, but we don't know.

Thanks for sharing. We need more B&W since with color being easier to deliver, most photographers cannot think in color and so miss opening the door to this mode of exression.

Asher

Klaus Esser

pro member
"Maybe she is "just a model", but we don't know as she has no glitter and razzle-dazzle, but we don't know."

She´s a very good model - Armani and so - and came from Milan. I booked her because she has that "tension" which i like. She´s not just good looking, not just an artificial and easy replacable puppet as very much models are these days. In my eyes she has style.

here she´s in another way - just to show her type:

Iv1.jpg

Iv2a.jpg

I like the second photograph very much.

best, Klaus

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

What's her name and is she still pretty active?

She certainly does have style. How do you relate to her to get your look fron her. Do you talk to her. move her or just inspire her, or is it the AD?

In the particular picture on the chair, how did the concept and execution get formed or did you just show her the sofa and she fitted herself accordingly?

Asher

Klaus Esser

pro member
She certainly does have style. How do you relate to her to get your look fron her. Do you talk to her. move her or just inspire her, or is it the AD?

In the particular picture on the chair, how did the concept and execution get formed or did you just show her the sofa and she fitted herself accordingly?

Asher

"is she still pretty active?"

Yes.

"How do you relate to her to get your look fron her. Do you talk to her. move her or just inspire her, or is it the AD?
How do you relate to her to get your look fron her. Do you talk to her. move her or just inspire her, or is it the AD?"

One of the advantages of working with good models is, you don´t have to tell them how they should do things. A good model has a feeling and a style of showing herself and the clothes or - in this case the product was the chair - her interaction with a product.
Ii just let her do and the AD let us do . . . :)

IF this would have been a fashion-shot, it would have to look very different - as editorlal or as advertising. In both cases clothes, hair and makeup would have been far more elaborated.

But the word was "leisure" . . :)

best, Klaus