• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

First Model Session with 1DsMkIII

Nothing really special, but I had my first model session shoot with my 1DsMkIII on Thurday and finished up downselect and editing last night.

Below is what I think is the best shot from the set as far as for the model is concerned:
LWI_1121_web.jpg

But this is my overall favorite - It is titled "Chinese Belly Dancing Spagetti Western":
I think the title is appropriate given the ancestory of the model (chinese, Italian, African, Irish and one other I forget)
LWI_1279_web.jpg

Not my best lighting, but I was trying out something with my lighting along with playing with my new camera. At least I feel I got what she needed out of the shoot and I learned a bunch about my camera, which is what I needed from the shoot. And yes the images have been edited, but I found the settings were almost on default.

Now if the weather would just be Sunny this Friday when I have another test shoot scheduled with a different model, maybe I can get one outside.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Tim,

Congratulations. I'm glad you are already putting the 1DsIII to good use. Thanks for sharing your work. Any chance you still have a any other 1D camera to shoot side by side at the same f stop? It would be nice to see some 100% cut outs to compare at f 5.6, f8, f11 with ISO at 800, which is my test !SO choice. ISO 160, 400 would be fine too!

In any case, I wonder whether you might give us blow ups of hair, cloth, eyes and lips? That's of course in between festivities, times with your family and printing the pictures you promised!

Asher

All of the shots are at ISO100, but I did take some with my 1DsMkII during the session.

If you just need some comparison shots, I can take those if you let me know what kind of subjects would be best. All I have to date is some various colored fake flowers that got what I needed to know about between the two cameras.

If I forgot to mention it, I prefer ISO1600 on my mkII, but ISO800 and lower on the MkIII. However, if all I have is the 1DsMkIII and need ISO1600 and can get away with it, sRaw with NR on seems to do better then Raw post processed and down-sampled. And I don't like the look of full raw images with NR turned on, I get better results leaving it off and post-processing the noise out (except for sRaw at 1600 for some reason)

I am being lazy today, because I was busy working on image sets the past couple of days, but will see if I can take the shots at various apertures for you at ISO 160, 200, 400, and 800. in a proper set. I might even do it today as I can't really do anything much else as it is raining.

The only catch I can see is my home lighting is a bit dim for f8 and all I have is strobes, which don't have enough range for a proper full set with any sort of control. It is supposed to be sunny tomorrow though and I have another model test shoot scheduled for Friday.

I will try to use my mannekin head with a wig to get you the shots if I do it tonight or tomorrow. She is way easier to get in front of my camera then a live model, but not as fun to shoot and really inflexible when it comes to facial expressions :)

Update: If you haven't noticed it, I posted a couple examples in the 1-series forum.

Last edited: