• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My RICOH GR

Paul Abbott

I ordered the GH-3 Adapter and GC-6 Jacket for my RICOH GR last thursday from Japan, I ordered them over Ebay and they just arrived this monday morning. I cannot believe how fast the shipment was, it beats some of the domestic first class post I get in my country...

Anyway, I couldn't wait to get these accessories so that I could protect that lens with a filter and hood. The half-case gives the camera an even more readier grip and it sure does feel great in the hand...
The GV-1 viewfinder was bought on Ebay for just £49 and that was a massive saving. This finder has frame-lines for 21mm conversion lens and 28mm respectively but they only cover 85% and so the 21mm lines provide a more 100% coverage for the 28mm, it's a disappointment. I hope RICOH make a coupled finder like what they had with the GX200 camera...

Paul Abbott

As for having just started out using this camera i'll post up here the images I have managed to capture with it, and it's 'snap focus' function of which i'm a great lover of...
It's great for catching shots of dogs, there's nothing faster than not having to focus, there's nothing faster than a dog on the street either I don't think. :)

Anyway, I have set snap focus to the Fn1 button and the snap focus distance set to Fn2 so that I can change both at the touch of a button.

Brick Lane, London #11 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR - Snap focus, F8 @ 1m

Brick Lane, London #12 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR - Snap focus, F8 @ 1.5m

Greenwich, London #13 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR - Snap focus, F8 @ 2.5m

Shoreditch, London #14 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR - Snap focus, F2.8 @ 1m

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
As for having just started out using this camera i'll post up here the images I have managed to capture with it, and it's 'snap focus' function of which i'm a great lover of...
It's great for catching shots of dogs, there's nothing faster than not having to focus, there's nothing faster than a dog on the street either I don't think. :)

Anyway, I have set snap focus to the Fn1 button and the snap focus distance set to Fn2 so that I can change both at the touch of a button.

So F1 is set for 1 meter, for example and then F2 for 2.5 meter. Is that it?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher
So F1 is set for 1 meter, for example and then F2 for 2.5 meter. Is that it?

I think he means that pressing F1 sets the focus to the preset snap distance, and pressing F2 lets us set what that distance is (the language is indeed a bit confusing).

But who knows.

Best regards,

Doug

Paul Abbott

Sorry about it being none too clear...

My main two focus modes are Pinpoint AF and Snap focus, the Fn1 button is set for changing between the two...
My Fn2 button is assigned to calling up the snap focus distance scale which has ranges from 1m, 1.5m, 2m, 2.5m, 5m and infinity, and can then be set by using the +/- rocker switch. :)

Also, I have reassigned the 'effect' button for selecting the 35mm crop mode on and off.

Paul Abbott

Btw, for anyone who is still interested out there, just one other point.

I use the GV-1 viewfinder a lot when in snap focus mode because I can then turn off the LCD and still take pictures without worrying about any in-focus confirmation, and save battery usage too. If I want to change the aperture by using the relevant buttons or anything else for that matter the LCD momentarily shows me a readout of what i'm doing on the blank LCD screen.
You need to turn on and set the 'display' button setting for turning off the LCD...

Unfortunately the GV-1 is not electronically coupled but here's to one being produced in the future, yay! :)

Michael Nagel

Paul,

the snap-focus function is interesting - something which was easy at the time of rangefinders and SLRs became apparently less important with the rise of AF and now this has been brought back as this useful function.
I do not know if there are other cameras providing this function, but for many cameras the implementation could be done by a software update (provided that there are no licensing issues).

Best regards,
Michael

Paul Abbott

I haven't come across any other digital cameras that have this feature on-board at all...RICOH have always had the naus to incorporate this useful feature into their digital cameras, albeit their compacts I think.

Remember the Olympus Trip? I have two (they're such a classic and so good!), with different skins of course but this has a really sharp lens on it and solely relies on 'zone focusing', it's brilliant. Just look at how popular and in high demand this camera was...and still is.
Ken Rockwell reviewed and compared it to a Kwanon 'L' series lens, it was on a par with it for sharpness and better in the corners...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I haven't come across any other digital cameras that have this feature on-board at all...RICOH have always had the naus to incorporate this useful feature into their digital cameras, albeit their compacts I think.

Remember the Olympus Trip? I have two (they're such a classic and so good!), with different skins of course but this has a really sharp lens on it and solely relies on 'zone focusing', it's brilliant. Just look at how popular and in high demand this camera was...and still is.
Ken Rockwell reviewed and compared it to a Kwanon 'L' series lens, it was on a par with it for sharpness and better in the corners...

It would be fun to repeat Ken rockwell's comparison shots but pairing your Ricoh GR with the Olympus trip and 400 ISO film. It would also tell us how sharp the GR is compared to a classic you have experience with.

Asher

Jerome Marot

I am not sure that I understand the "snap focus" feature. The original Sigma DP1 and DP2 had a separate dial to set MF focus distance. Various other compact cameras can be used in MF mode and set a distance via the menus. How is the Ricoh different?

Paul Abbott

What the GR does have by way of this 'Snap focus' ability is to have a fast shooting operation at the touch of a button. Also, it has a 1m, 1.5m, 2m, 2.5m, 5m to infinity ranged scale, with a ranged bar covering the distance of what will be in focus given the aperture that's been set.

Asher, it would be an interesting comparison and one that hasn't been done so far. I'll have to load one up...