• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The eye of the beholder?

Cem_Usakligil

Hi,

My daughter Ayla likes shooting with the Canon G9 I gave her earlier this year. Every now and then, she comes up with a picture which she wants my opinion on. Yesterday, she has asked me what I thought of this one. As I am not impartial in this case, I would like to ask you give her your C&C please. Thanks :).

eye1.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Beyond initial impact in photography composition with movement and counterweights

Hi Cem and Congrats Ayla!

I'm so glad to welcome you photograph!

This is a picture of just a portion of the upper face, 3/4 of the left eye and then including the nose in light and them the right side of the face in darkness. The most noticeable and distinguishing feature is that the iris is sharply in focus and almost white. There's a narrow black border with no white matte to relieve the picture. It's interesting, there's no emotion evoked, but it's obviously a work driven by a thoughtful creative process. My take is that this might be the beginning of this enterprise and not the full exploitation of the driving creative energy behind it.

Certainly this is a unique image. In passing pictures on a gallery wall we'd certainly stop to look. However, can the picture draw one in? The secret lies in what there is to enjoy, be challenged by, intrigued, inspired, angered, driven to rebel or just perhaps overwhelmed with beauty and once in a while even loosing one's breath and feeling one's heart racing.

Points in a composition draw us to the site and stop movement. Now to make a composition work we need other signals to get going again. These can be lines, curves, interesting textures or patterns or a prominent color, for example.

I have to guess what the overarching idea is in this image. I'd guess it's the act of observing. I'd experiment with adding to the picture balancing or asymmetric objects or design elements to create balance and or tension. I have experimented with the photograph and there is a lot of potential but this must come from Ayla, herself, as the artist or it might detract, deform or even hijack the variations of this that are there in her own mind.

I can say, however, that the border works against any idea of peeping out beside something as the border goes all around. Border anyway should rarely be used, as there is a huge risk that we are imprisoning the photograph. Here the border effectively neutralizes the eye and says there's nothing more and there is not enough of a substantial barrier or wall beyond which the eye is peeping.

Is the Eye of the Beholder" the title? If so the detailed texture of the skin detracts from this, but it does give us guidance to the meaning and it works.

Kudos Ayla on taking on a huge challenge. Art entails expressing some version of the ever-morphing dynamic living visions we have that we want to get on to paper. You have done that. However, it's an iterative process and the camera cannot create for you the relative importance of components and the nuances that bring to life you vision. Hardly ever can one take a photograph to express what's in one's mind and achieve that image in all it's vigor without much more work in the image the camera's dumb eye delivers.

The exception is of course those professionals and artist whose vision is reality and they are expert in getting the approach, perspective, composition and lighting exactly right and so, designing within the limits of the camera's dumb eye, they reproduce, in a particular impactful way what they chose to see.

For much creative art, we need to go beyond that, either by staging the set or by altering the photograph that the surrogate eye in our camera is able to see.

My suggestion is to open the picture up by removing the frame and experimenting with adding features to create a fully demanding picture that goes beyond initial attention getting and gives us reasons to linger and get into the world you have created.

Kindest wishes and a hug to you both,

Asher :)

Cem_Usakligil

....Is the Eye of the Beholder" the title? If so the detailed texture of the skin detracts from this, but it does give us guidance to the meaning and it works.

My suggestion is to open the picture up by removing the frame and experimenting with adding features to create a fully demanding picture that goes beyond initial attention getting and gives us reasons to linger and get into the world you have created.
Hi Asher,

Thanks a million for your excellent advice and for taking your precious time to react in such detail, much appreciated :).

The title is not "The eye of the beholder", Ayla did not give a title to her picture. So it was my mistake adding a quasi one by myself.

Secondly, the picture I got from Ayla was without a frame. Therein also I am the culprit :-(

So here is the picture without the frame:

eye2.jpg

We'll come back on your other comments later when Ayla herself can read your comments, which she hasn't done yet.

Cheers,

My daughter Ayla likes shooting with the Canon G9 I gave her earlier this year. Every now and then, she comes up with a picture which she wants my opinion on. Yesterday, she has asked me what I thought of this one. As I am not impartial in this case, I would like to ask you give her your C&C please. Thanks :).

Hi Cem, and Ayla,

Assuming little was cropped from this composition, I have to say, impressive.
As I've told Ayla in person, she has inherited a 'good eye' (pun intended) for composition. Well done Ayla, well done dad ;-) !

I see a, subconscious, golden section (AKA rules of thirds) subdivision, yet a daring crop of the eye itself in the center right quadrant. intriguing!

This talent is something worth nurturing/developing.

Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Cem, and Ayla,

Assuming little was cropped from this composition, I have to say, impressive.
As I've told Ayla in person, she has inherited a 'good eye' (pun intended) for composition. Well done Ayla, well done dad ;-) !

I see a, subconscious, golden section (AKA rules of thirds) subdivision, yet a daring crop of the eye itself in the center right quadrant. intriguing!

Cem and Ayla,

Is this close to what was imagined or does it miss the mark somewhat?
That's good to know before any of us chime in.

I of course agree with Bart on the golden section. However, that alone is not sufficient in this case to get the most from the concept. Now with the picture liberated it is indeed much fresher. I'd love to see a textured column of faqbric to the right of her eye. This could be up to 1/3 of the picture width and would then give a base from which the eye looks. At the same time the strong form would counterbalance the powerful "stopping-of-movement" effect of the strong highly detailed left eye.

One could use a curtain, dark or light lace or what ever is at hand. This is a creative idea and the way it gets expressed is by having a constructive debate with the demands of the work in progress. In these cases, never allow an upstart variant to trap you! In some cases the investment, (travel, rentals etc) in the photograph is great so we can edit and retouch what we have. Here, you can easily repeat the picture. At the slightest evidence of stubborness of the design, dump it and start afresh.

I know this is a good concept of yours, because I tested it. :)

Happy pictures!

Asher

Rene F Granaada

Cem and Ayla,

Is this close to what was imagined or does it miss the mark somewhat?
That's good to know before any of us chime in.

I of course agree with Bart on the golden section. However, that alone is not sufficient in this case to get the most from the concept. Now with the picture liberated it is indeed much fresher. I'd love to see a textured column of faqbric to the right of her eye. This could be up to 1/3 of the picture width and would then give a base from which the eye looks. At the same time the strong form would counterbalance the powerful "stopping-of-movement" effect of the strong highly detailed left eye.

One could use a curtain, dark or light lace or what ever is at hand. This is a creative idea and the way it gets expressed is by having a constructive debate with the demands of the work in progress. In these cases, never allow an upstart variant to trap you! In some cases the investment, (travel, rentals etc) in the photograph is great so we can edit and retouch what we have. Here, you can easily repeat the picture. At the slightest evidence of stubborness of the design, dump it and start afresh.

Happy pictures!

Asher
Cem, Ayala, Asher, yes this is, because of the details in the iris and the pensive expression that is somehow amplified by those details, a great focus of the photograph...I certainly think that Asher's idea for some textured columns on the right, like a curtain that covers part of the face (maybe slightly blurred by wind, or slightly out of focus )might add to the mood...
Also I have been pondering about the dark left section of the photo....
If somehow it could have been taken in front of an open window, and instead of dark, there could have been some dark cloud/s with some rays of the sun filtering through, that could have created a wonderful balance. Or Photoshopping two pictures into one...
Isn't it wonderful how a picture can set one's own creative thoughts going?

Cheerzz, prima werk Ayla, ga zo door!

Cem_Usakligil

Assuming little was cropped from this composition, I have to say, impressive. As I've told Ayla in person, she has inherited a 'good eye' (pun intended) for composition. Well done Ayla, well done dad ;-) !

Hi Bart,

On behalf Ayla, thanks for your encouraging comments. Being a young lady of only 15, she is a little bit overwhelmed by the fact that I have posted her picture here and that she has received such constructive C&C. It gets getting used to, as you can imagine. BTW, the image is not cropped, this was the original frame as taken.

Is this close to what was imagined or does it miss the mark somewhat? That's good to know before any of us chime in.

Happy pictures!
Hi Asher,

The concept of reshooting is something Ayla needs to ponder for a while. I am sure she shall do that in due time. In the coming weeks, she is quite busy doing a lot of homework and taking exams so she might take her time. LOL.

Cem, Ayala, Asher, yes this is, because of the details in the iris and the pensive expression that is somehow amplified by those details, a great focus of the photograph...I certainly think that Asher's idea for some textured columns on the right, like a curtain that covers part of the face (maybe slightly blurred by wind, or slightly out of focus )might add to the mood...
Also I have been pondering about the dark left section of the photo....
If somehow it could have been taken in front of an open window, and instead of dark, there could have been some dark cloud/s with some rays of the sun filtering through, that could have created a wonderful balance. Or Photoshopping two pictures into one...
Isn't it wonderful how a picture can set one's own creative thoughts going?

Cheerzz, prima werk Ayla, ga zo door!
Hi Rene,

If this picture has in any way gotten your creative thoughts going, then I am very glad that I took the risk of posting it here :). As I wrote to Asher above, this is to be continued....

Cheers,