• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The M Module for the GXR: benefits and choice of lenses

Mitch Alland

Mitch's orignal thread is dedicated to the benefit of processing using RPP software, if you have a Mac. Here, we discuss the making of the shots themselves with the M module and an assortment of lenses. So what lenses should we use to get the benefits Mitch talks about? ADK

I've written elsewhere about the excellent images that the Ricoh GXR M-Module produces, about the files being generally better than those I've had from the M8 and M9 in terms of the clarity and transparency of the colours and in the white balance — I feel that generally GXR-M files require less post-processing as well. I process RAW files and for several years have been using Aperture. Last week, I started trying out RPP, shareware program available only for the Mac.

It's been a revelation because RPP does a much better job in raw development than Aperture or ACR: it simply produces better resolution and better color.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Code:
Seriously, Mac users can get close to the Kodachrome look by using Photo Raw Processor 64 (RPP). I've written elsewhere about the excellent images that the Ricoh GXR M-Module produces, about the files being generally better than those I've had from the M8 and M9 in terms of the clarity and transparency of the colours and in the white balance — I feel that generally GXR-M files require less post-processing as well. I process RAW files and for several years have been using Aperture. Last week, I started trying out RPP, shareware program available only for the Mac.

Mitch,

To benefit from the M module of the GXR, one needs Leica or other compatible lenes and these define and limit what colors get into the camera. So, for someone who already has the GXR but no M module, I'm lost as to what lenses to get! One could buy Cosina Voigtlander lenses or go for German names. What is the economical way of getting the value out of the M module without spending an arm and a leg and what are the best subjects that might benefit from the M module as opposed to using the GXR lenses. I have the 50mm Macro and that's already wonderful.

Asher

Mitch Alland

Asher, there are a lot of Voigtlaender (CV) and Zeiss lenses that are really excellent. In choosing lenses, it is worthwhile to read the evaluations on Sean Reid's (pay) site, and you could save yourself a lot of money that way. For example, he shows that the CV15mm lens is a great lens, despite the low price.

However, the colors produced by the Ricoh GXR-M are somewhat different from those produced by the Leica M8 and M9: the GXR-M general produces more accurate color and the white balance is better. Just think of different sensors producing different color rendition somewhat the way different color films do. Also, different raw developers affect the color rendition as well and that of RPP is, in my view, better than that of Aperture and Lightroom, in addition to providing better resolution. So, it's definitely not just the lenses.

To tell you the truth, after I developed and processed just a few shots with the M-Module I sold my A12/28mm and A12/50mm camera units because I found the results with M-Modules so much better: not having the AA filters really helps. If I were interested in macros, I would have kept the A12/50mm unit, which I have general liked a bit better than the A12/28mm in terms of image quality. In comparison, I find that I need much less processing (and no sharpening using the M-Module. But, then, I find that with the M-Module I also need less processing than I did with the M8 and the M9, mainly, I believe, because of its superior color accuracy. Of course, at high ISO the GXR-M is also better than the M8 and M9.

—Mitch/Chiang Mai
Ricoh GXR M-Module

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher, there are a lot of Voigtlaender (CV) and Zeiss lenses that are really excellent. In choosing lenses, it is worthwhile to read the evaluations on Sean Reid's (pay) site, and you could save yourself a lot of money that way. For example, he shows that the CV15mm lens is a great lens, despite the low price.

Yes, Mirch,

Sean Reid has written an important and stellar review and his knowledge of available lenses is encyclopedic.

However, the colors produced by the Ricoh GXR-M are somewhat different from those produced by the Leica M8 and M9: the GXR-M general produces more accurate color and the white balance is better. Just think of different sensors producing different color rendition somewhat the way different color films do. Also, different raw developers affect the color rendition as well and that of RPP is, in my view, better than that of Aperture and Lightroom, in addition to providing better resolution. So, it's definitely not just the lenses.

I'd love to see how you discovered this. It would be great if you might have examples that demonstrate the advantages of both the M-module and the processing by RPP.

To tell you the truth, after I developed and processed just a few shots with the M-Module I sold my A12/28mm and A12/50mm camera units because I found the results with M-Modules so much better: not having the AA filters really helps. If I were interested in macros, I would have kept the A12/50mm unit, which I have general liked a bit better than the A12/28mm in terms of image quality.

Well, you don't seem to worry about losing auto focus! :)

In comparison, I find that I need much less processing (and no sharpening using the M-Module.

For JPG or for RAW too? That would be something!

But, then, I find that with the M-Module I also need less processing than I did with the M8 and the M9, mainly, I believe, because of its superior color accuracy. Of course, at high ISO the GXR-M is also better than the M8 and M9.

So how do you describe the color superiority. What things imaged better and in what light? I saw the best autumn leaves in a series of pictures with the M8 camera taken in Grand Central Park, New York. That was in 2006! I'd love to see that with the M-module in 2011. :)

Asher

—Mitch/Chiang Mai
Ricoh GXR M-Module

Mitch Alland

...i'd love to see how you discovered this. It would be great if you might have examples that demonstrate the advantages of both the M-module and the processing by RPP...

For JPG or for RAW too? That would be something!

So how do you describe the color superiority. What things imaged better and in what light? I saw the best autumn leaves in a series of pictures with the M8 camera taken in Grand Central Park, New York. That was in 2006! I'd love to see that with the M-module in 2011. :)
Asher, as I'm on Thailand, a lot of my shooting is in bright light. Generally, I find a clarity and transparency to the color of the Ricoh GXR M-Module that is better than I found with the M8or the M9. It is better at high ISO, has better white balance and better color accuracy. A couple of people have told my that the M8 and M9 have more richness in the mid-tones, but I simply haven't seen that. Also, as I no longer have wither an M8 or an M9, I cannot make a direct comparison; but I can say that I find that I need to do less processing on GXR M-Module RAW files than on M8/M9 files to get them to look like I want them to.

As for RPP, I find it is unique because it "develops" files with greater resolution and has better color rendition than other raw developers I have tried, which include Aperture, ACR, Irident, Lightzone (now defunct), Silkypix and Capture One. The best I can do is to refer you to the pictures shot with the GXR M-Module and the Elmarit 21 ASPH in posts no 1, 2 and 3 (the B&W picture is shot with the Tele-Elmarit-90) in this thread.

—Mitch/Chiang Mai
Days and Nights in the Forest