• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Best Add-on lenses for phones and digicams?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I saw an advertisement for a Schneider add-on lens an iphone. Wh's have thought the noble would descend to the masses like that?

schneider_optics_ipro_lens_system_for_iphone_44s_1161189_g4.jpg

macworld.com: Schneider Optics iPro Lens System​

Anyone tried one of these on an iPhone?

Then there's the much more solid and sturdy Owle Bubo, with 2 amazing handles, 5 places for tripod mounts and one mount of lighting and another for a microphone.

157656-owle-thumb_original.jpg

Macworld.com: Owle Bubo​

Oh, there's more, a 37mm screw mount for lenses, one provided and the path to adding any Canon or Nikon lens you happen to own! So, at last, even a Canon or Nikon lens can be hooked up to the iphone, but maybe you knew that already! The drive for all this gadgetry is the allure of the 8MP

For $412.45 one can get an EnCinema Eos SLR Lens Adapter & OWLE Bubo Combo Kit for iPhone & iPod Touch! So one can acutally use one's favorite Canon lenses with the diminutive iphone and have touch focus! That's amazing. why can't we do it with our DSLR's - just add any lens and touch focus?

Unfortunately, the zoom tele module for the GXR is based on a tiny sensor. So if i can find a fairly good tele extender that would fit on my APS-C size 50 mm macro module, I would be better off. Any modest suggestions would be appreciated. That would be less mass than the add-ons offered for the iphone! So, I'm looking to sneak an add-on for my GXR 50 2.4 lens that has a 40.5 filter thread. Sort of a practical, pragmatic sacrilege, (although not as sinful as doing it to a Zeiss or Leica optic, LOL!

_24_kgrhqiokpue3tk_2uq_bn-glzeg_g___35.jpg

This one is just $29.92 O.BO.! Any makes of tele or wide angle add on optics that you would recommend. How good can they be for such a price?

Asher

Bob Rogers

My Nikon Coolpix accessory lens, wc-e68, a wide angle converter, has 46mm threads. It's a great optic.

If you got a similar tele adapter (e.g. TC-E3ED) then all you'd need to do is get someone to machine the mounting tube. With ED glass I'm sure it's better than the one you found for $29.

I'm curious about the intended market for the Owle Bubo. It seems like for less money you can buy a better camera that's smaller.

Asher Kelman

My Nikon Coolpix accessory lens, wc-e68, a wide angle converter, has 46mm threads. It's a great optic.

If you got a similar tele adapter (e.g. TC-E3ED) then all you'd need to do is get someone to machine the mounting tube. With ED glass I'm sure it's better than the one you found for $29.

I'm curious about the intended market for the Owle Bubo. It seems like for less money you can buy a better camera that's smaller.

Bob,

Thanks for the information. The wide angle lens seems perfect! One would be using the better, central part of the Nikon lens. What is the connector on the end of the Nikon Tele lens? Isn't it threaded? Why does one need a special adapter. Is that to get more separation from the cameras lens?

Thanks,

Asher

Bob Rogers

Yes, the lens is threaded with 46mm threads.

The coolpix cameras all have lenses that move in and out to focus, so the adapter holds the accessory lens in place while the little lens moves behind it.

Since you said you have a 42.5mm thread, you'd need an adapter to get to 46.

Some day I'd like to get an adapter to let me attach the WC-e68 to my Canon s95.

Asher Kelman

Yes, the lens is threaded with 46mm threads.

The coolpix cameras all have lenses that move in and out to focus, so the adapter holds the accessory lens in place while the little lens moves behind it.

I see that now as a problem with these adapters as it can put a lot of unexpected weight on the motor pulling the lens in and out. I was surprised that the filter thread for the Ricoh GXR 50mm module is external and female. I guess that's intended for a hood and not to cause vignetting.

The GXR with the 50mm Macro is a perfect walk about. However, the zoom that goes to 300 mm has a tiny sensor, not the much larger APS C size sensor of the 50 Macro lens. So I would love to get a tele lens attached. I think perhaps a push on adapter would be best.

Asher

Bob Rogers

You could have a tube that would fit over the lens threaded and attached to a flange that would connect to the tripod mount.