• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: The Leica ME in Laos..

fahim mohammed

p1431921980-5.jpg

cron 75 apo asph.

fahim mohammed

p1432035828-5.jpg

cron 75 apo asph.

People photography was my primary reason to bring this lens along.

The only negative I could feel about the ME was its low light capabilities. This was/is well known.
Even then I managed excellent shots at iso 1250.

Next time I shall just swap the Sony RX 100 with the Fuji XE-1. And I am done with camera purchases.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
cron 75 apo asph.

People photography was my primary reason to bring this lens along.

The only negative I could feel about the ME was its low light capabilities. This was/is well known.
Even then I managed excellent shots at iso 1250.

Next time I shall just swap the Sony RX 100 with the Fuji XE-1. And I am done with camera purchases.

Well, Fahim,

Ken Rockwell thinks that the better quality of Leica glass wide open makes up for the limitations in high ISO sensitivity. I am impressed with the 30% relative weight saving of the MM body compared to a Canon 5D III. Does it really give better optical quality compared to using a Canon 60mm 1.2L? I don't know, but I'd love to see more portraits with this camera taken with available light.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Well, Fahim,

Ken Rockwell thinks that the better quality of Leica glass wide open makes up for the limitations in high ISO sensitivity. I am impressed with the 30% relative weight saving of the MM body compared to a Canon 5D III. Does it really give better optical quality compared to using a Canon 60mm 1.2L? I don't know, but I'd love to see more portraits with this camera taken with available light.

Asher

Ken who ? :)

Asher, better, nicer etc. are very subjective terms when one views an image. The optical properties of lenses are judged on many factors, MTF being just one of them. I do not know which between the 75 and the 60 you mention is better..on paper or in real life image making.

The rendering of a lens in particular is important to me. A similar rendering might be distasteful to someone else.

For me weight is a consideration, else my Zeiss Makro 100mm would have gone with me. I did not bother with the cron 90 asph either, because of weight. But on paper, the 75mm is a very tough act to
follow.

Whether I use it properly, and to max effect, is something I doubt very much.

fahim mohammed

So there we have it. Some of the images I made with my ME. For the its lesser weight and volume, its superb IQ, and the complement of its relatively small lenses..the ME is very hard to beat.

The Chinese New Year fell while I was in Laos. So let me close this thread with a final image here and
wish you all:

Gong Xi Fa Cai (Mandarin) or Gong Hey Fat Choy (Cantonese)!!

p1435960786-5.jpg

The ME with the cron 75 apo asph. It is for more than just portraits; and I used it for various images as here.

Best regards,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So there we have it. Some of the images I made with my ME. For the its lesser weight and volume, its superb IQ, and the complement of its relatively small lenses..the ME is very hard to beat.

Fahim,

Is it really less in weight and volume as the M9? I thought the ME is an M9, just without the USB connector and preselector lever! That really is the same superb camera as far as almost everything is concerned, just a way of Leica selling it at $1500 less to a slightly wider set of followers.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Fahim,

Is it really less in weight and volume as the M9? I thought the ME is an M9, just without the USB connector and preselector lever! That really is the same superb camera as far as almost everything is concerned, just a way of Leica selling it at $1500 less to a slightly wider set of followers.

Asher

Sorry Asher I was not clear.

Lesser volume and weight than dslr 35mm full frame cameras is what I should have written.

You are correct in the differences stated between the M9, M9-P and the ME.

The ME is for the poorer folk.

Kindest regards.

Jarmo Juntunen

You know Fahim, I end up saying wow with all your threads these days... Some fantastic travel photography in this thread, again. Thanks for sharing!