• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fire! Fire! Real flames or embers! Poobah the Great Fire Eater!

I posted this picture a few months ago taken at my visit to the 2008 Houston Stock Show and Rodeo. I really liked the image. So much so that I had it made into a 20x30" print and have it framed for my livingroom wall that I am currently working on. A funny thing happened, as it usually does when one surfs aimlessly around the world wide web, and I stumbled upon a very interesting article and story about sideshows. Lo and behold, there was my little guy. He apparently has gone by a number of different names in his long career but it is definitely him. I thought some may find it interesting. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you POOBAH!
Here's a link to the video clip and article.

http://video.on.nytimes.com/index.jsp?fr_story=302769364fabd7b4bffdc7688cd318ef32b2c83a

fireeater.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fire is alive and is one of the most destructive forces. However, we live with it and even harness it's energy. That, after all is what makes trains and trucks move and jets fly! This first picture covers this mastering of fire for entertainment. I myself wouldn't try it!

Post images of fire used in anyway you have found. Let's see if we can pull together an interesting eclectic look at this powerful phenomenon.

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Go on then Asher, this is the only campfire shot I've found yet. I've leveled this and made it more ready for print than the earlier version, but I think it belongs here. This shot sits in the idling with a camera when camping miles from anywhere category:)

Mike

3424239789_1f2344c36e_o.jpg

Mike Shimwell

Aha, I did find a some more - no claims as to quality here...

First the tools

3425123904_fa246a7155_o.jpg

Then the lighter (a much younger and slimmer me! recovered from severe underexposure)

3424314633_c8b5da9c1a_o.jpg

And then the fire in it's environment

3424315205_bd1ff23e97_o.jpg

This is the fire that later became the glowing embers above.

Mike

Larry Brown

Here is a big bonfire that we have at a caving event I an involved with and attend each year. This fire is constructed from 2 or 3 tractor trailer loads of wood and is over 20 feet high and square. It uses over 40 gallons of diesel fuel and 5 gallons of gasoline with fire works and Estes rocket engines for ignition, it is a sight to see go off! It burns all night and is the conclusion to our event.
I was well into party mode when I captured these images so please understand any technical shortcomings that may be found, LOL!

IMGP9277.jpg

Ignition!

IMGP9280.jpg

IMGP9281.jpg

FIRE!

IMGP9174.jpg

For Size Reference

Enjoy!
Larry

Jarmo Juntunen

Our Midsummer Eve's bonfire this year. If the fire is going out, you need to

_small.jpg