• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Great Ski Day in the Cascades

I was up on a couple of little mountains near my house for some great spring skiing this week. I'd been up in the area climbing a few days before and spotted some good ski lines, but needed to come back and clear a way through some tough brush first so we could reasonably carry our skis up into this valley without a trail.

I did the recon and clearing a couple days before, my young friends did the step kicking up the steep snow, then dropped in first for my camera.

I'm going to exceed the suggested limits for photos with an addition to do this in a trip report story telling style, which reflects my documentary photo effort that day. It can be quite a challenge to keep up with these hard charging young bucks up a mountain, get out my camera, shoot, stash it safely, ski down myself, repeat on another mountain, then hike out without twisting my ankle or falling in the river!

27023123862_0831e1f7c7_o.jpg

Chris in the easy brush, our first mountain above

27117661145_dc2ecd6fc1_o.jpg

North Face of Del Campo - 1st run

26513905793_01f6df4c87_o.jpg

Chris drops in 1st

26513900863_8056c6293f_o.jpg

Jeff goes for it

27061036121_2360d37155_o.jpg

Our ski line on Lewis Pk.

26513890273_087f199350_o.jpg

Climbing Lewis​

More pics

Exceeding the 6 shot limit.

Pano on top of Lewis (click for large version)

26512168534_8d5a382af9_o.jpg

Chris skis Lewis

27084344306_73afb9a6f0_o.jpg

Hiking (esp. with skis) off trail in this area is a challenge

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jim,

This series is wondrous in so many ways—the activity itself, so dangerous and yet with a beautiful result; the "players", skilled and brave; the stunning scenery; and the photography, itself wonderful in many ways.

Bravi to all involved (and the word seems especially apt here)!

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
26513905793_01f6df4c87_o.jpg

Chris drops in 1st

26513900863_8056c6293f_o.jpg

Jeff goes for it​

I am amazed at the images and bravery! What's it about us that we take such risk for a gasp of beauty?

Asher

Thanks guys, but in all honesty these climbs/descents didn't take any bravery, just skill. The two pics you highlight Asher are dramatic, but the angle relents a few hundred feet below without any cliffs or other dangers so a fall would not be fatal (hence not truly extreme even if it looks like it). The snow conditions were perfect - 0 avalanche danger, great surface for turning, and temperatures to keep it all that way. My partners and I have been skiing since we were kids, and doing this back-country climbing stuff very actively for a long time (40+ yr in my case) so it's like walking to us. On top of that these mountains are in our backyard (about an hour drive to the trail head) and I've got a spiritual connection with them.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jim,

Thanks guys, but in all honesty these climbs/descents didn't take any bravery, just skill. The two pics you highlight Asher are dramatic, but the angle relents a few hundred feet below without any cliffs or other dangers so a fall would not be fatal (hence not truly extreme even if it looks like it). The snow conditions were perfect - 0 avalanche danger, great surface for turning, and temperatures to keep it all that way. My partners and I have been skiing since we were kids, and doing this back-country climbing stuff very actively for a long time (40+ yr in my case) so it's like walking to us. On top of that these mountains are in our backyard (about an hour drive to the trail head) and I've got a spiritual connection with them.

All that is wonderful, and actually adds to the wonder of what you do and what you bring to us.

Best regards,

Doug