• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Goodwood Revival 2007

John_Nevill

Some of you may recall that I 've been visiting Goodwood for a few years and this year was without exception.

Each year the Goodwood circuit is home to a number of historic races and nostalgic displays featuring over 350 vehicles. This year, I attended Friday's practice day and had the opportunity to photograph 99% of the cars that took part in 10 of the events.

This got the old grey matter thinking and recalling my childhood growing up with tea and football cards, some of you may remember these, I decided to crop and catalogue them as event sets.

All images were captured in RAW format using a Canon 1DMkIIN and 5D, with EF300 f2.8L and EF 70-200 f2.8L lenses.

Images were then processed in SilkyPix using a Film V1 colour mode, prior to being cropped in a 16:9 format and outputted as sRGB jpegs for web presentation. Pan / motion blur and tilts were all done in camera.

Due to the sheer quantity of the images, here's a link

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
John, your photography is a treat and Canon ought to pay you LOL! Could you beautify this thread by posting 4 images just get people's juices going?!!!

Your work is appreciated. Could you also touch on technique, Do you have a panning movemnet tracking the car and then fire or do you just rely on you fast shutter speed? Also what is your setup and how hard is it to get a shooting position? Do you have to get permission to use the pictures for sale, IOW do they have an event photographer and an official sales site?

Asher

John_Nevill

Asher, thanks for your kind comments,

Canon pay me, if only!

I've already sent the images to the Goodwood promoters press office, with little interest i'm afraid. Although they have put me on their database as an event photog for next year.

I did check the ticket, website and programme for copyright issues and none exist. I may tout the owners clubs and a few motor magazines. Who knows it help the gear to pay for itself.

Here's 4 of my favourites:

JLN%20Sample%204.jpg

JLN%20Sample%203.jpg

JLN%20Sample%202.jpg

JLN%20Sample%201.jpg

As for technique, steady handheld EF300 f2.8 with/without 1.4 TC, shutter as low as possible, ideally 1/125th, but anything below 1/200th on fast cars. Follow through smooth pan technique, finger roll on shutter firing with 3-4 frame burst rate.

Almost forgot to mention, at these low shutter speeds, getting the car sharp is not too difficult, the hardest part is stopping the drivers head from bouncing around.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am so impressed John. These are handsome images and so British. I love them! These racers must spend a lot of hard work and money to keep them in racing condition. Only # 26 seems to have sponsorship!

Thanks for bring us there.

Asher

Bob Krueger

Asher,

Vintage racing cars are typically privately owned by people who have plenty of money to restore and race them. The sponsorship on the Denny Hulme McLaren Formula 1 car (M19C?) is, like the car itself, historic - from the same era as the car and as the car was raced when new.

Bob Krueger

Very nice stuff, John! One of these days I would love to make it to Goodwood - especially with a press pass. It seems to me from watching it on TV over here that it's at least as good as the Monterey Historics and far less dusty. And at Goodwood they do some serious racing. They don't seem to be afraid to bang fenders with a $10 million Ferrari GTO!

For 125th, you're getting some really great wheel blur. They must be moving along pretty smartly at that part of the track. Hand-holding a 300 f2.8 with a 1.4 TC and getting good 125th pans is no easy task.

It's great to see a motorsports photography post here at OPF for a change.