• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

500mm f4 for outdoor sports?

Vishi Anand

I mainly shoot birds using 30d and canon 500mm f4 IS. Trying to get into shooting sports. I did try 500mm f4 on soccer and it seemed a bit long on 30d. How useful the 500mm be for baseball, football, soccer etc?

Right now I have 30d and it gives lot of OOF shots in AI servo mode. Thinking of upgrading to a used 1dMk2. Would 500mm be good focal length on 1.3x crop?

Nill Toulme

500mm on the 1.6x crop is mostly (but only mostly, mind you) overkill, and probably frustratingly unwieldy (in the FOV sense, not size/weight) for field sports. The classic rig for that purpose is the 400mm f/2.8, with or without a 1.4x extender, on a 1.25x crop 1D body.

I mostly shoot soccer with the 1.4x on; that's pretty close to the same as 500mm. For football and baseball however I rarely use the extender, so I'd say it'll still be a little long there, but usable.

The other issue is aperture. f/4 is fine for daylight, but you need f/2.8 in most sub-pro stadiums at night under the lights.

But heck, use the lens you have and go from there. And a good used 1DMk2 will be a great value and tool for both your sports and bird shooting.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Vishi Anand

Thanks Nil.

Maybe I should borrow/rent 1dMk2 and try it on 500mm f4. I Know 400mm f2.8 would be ideal but it is too much money.

Vishi Anand

Good idea. But don't borrow or rent one unless you are fully prepared to buy one, because once you use it you will definitely want to buy it. ;-)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

I know that's why I haven't done it so far. Last time I lifted my friends' 500mm f4 IS for couple of mins in a parking lot, I ended up buying ordering one from B&H. People on the forums used to say how heavy that lens is and it wasn't in real life.

Another question - if you don't mid. I am not sure about 1dMk2 and the N version. Getting a used idmk2 with <20k clicks for $1800. The N go for $400 higher. Any difference between the two in your opinion? I just sick of xxD series as far as AI servo is concerned.

Thanks again.

Nill Toulme

Mark II vs. IIn is a tough question Vishi. There are those who think the II was "broken" (mainly in the AF department) and the n was the "silent fix." Personally I don't think so. My two II's AF'd great, and so does my n. I tend to think the differences people claim to perceive are either (a) subjective or (b) sample variation or both.

There are feature differences such as the larger LCD on the n, the ability to save RAW to one card and jpg to the other, easier switching between cards, etc. I'm hard pressed to say they're worth 400 bucks though.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Shane Carter

Agreed, the 500 is fine for field sports...unless it is dark, then you are going to miss the extra stop a 400 2.8 can give. On the camera, either one worked fine here...and agree with Nill's view on the diff between the Mk2 and the N version.

Barry Johnston

1d MkII / MkII N

Hello Vishi,
The other difference is the size of the LCD screen at the back, the 'N' has a larger screen which I find useful.
I too have the 400 f/2.8 and is the ideal combination for sport, but as you say, an expensive combination. You may find shooting at f/2.8 a bit narrow as well, but if the funds are a bit short, you might find the f/4 lens somewhat less expensive. The focusing on the MkII N is also superb, and I am not sure which other camera would come close.
I think you will have to decide how serious you are about doing this on a scale of 1-10 before deciding on a purchase... you could always off-load your 500 f/4 to fund your next purchase...

Good luck...

MkII N + EF300 f/2.8 Full size crop. (no PP or sharpening @ ISO 400)

original.jpg

Regards,
Barry

Vishi Anand

I just bought a used 1dMk2. Now I need to come up to speed on it and try some real world shots. Hope the weather improves over the weekend.