• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

XP revalation

Rhys Sage

pro member
I was called in to work on the PCs in my wife's business...

It transpired that her twit of a partner had connected the server PC to the workstation PC with a patch cable instead of a crossover cable. What blew me away was that it actually worked. Well, it worked about as well as Windows built-in CD writer software - in that it mostly worked. I'd wondered why the networking was a little strange but had not needed to investigate.

Anyway, just to let you know, XP can work with a patch lead instead of a crossover - even though it does not do so well.

Doug Kerr

Your NIC can swing both ways

Hi, Rhys,
Anyway, just to let you know, XP can work with a patch lead instead of a crossover - even though it does not do so well.

The NIC hardware in that system is evidently provided with the "MDI/MDIX Auto Cross" feature, which allows it to adapt either "gender" as required (in the sense of which pin pair is for input and which is for receive).

It may be that XP is required to support that hardware capability.

Rhys Sage

pro member
It was a little strange as the connection said "not connected" on one end and on the other said 1000mbps. Given that it was a cheap 100mbps cable, I found that absurd. Anyway, after putting the router into place, the networking returned to what I would consider normality with all connections being recognised and at 100mbps.

I have to finish building their new computer desk today then install the 3rd PC (that's a wireless network) and upgrade the software on all 3 to ezee dental 2008.