• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sunset

ErikJonas

Banned
So sunsets can be plain which i did not know but heres one of mine....When i got this printed the first time i was talking to a woman telling her about how i sell my images and such...That woman waited for me outside in the parkinglot, called to me and wanted to know how much for this image and she bought it on the spot......

This was taken when i was commissioned to shoot a boat at the Everett Marina i got this shot as well which is not a part of those images....

Didnt want to post this in Rachels sunset thread and be like i was hijacking her thead....

4424211742_ea5bfea761_o.jpg

Taken on a tripod....I dont know at what but i think F11...I usually shoot at F22 but this image was not taken at that i can tell by looking at it...F11 or F8.....I think F11 though but this was 2008, cant remember....

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So sunsets can be plain which i did not know but heres one of mine....When i got this printed the first time i was talking to a woman telling her about how i sell my images and such...That woman waited for me outside in the parkinglot, called to me and wanted to know how much for this image and she bought it on the spot......

This was taken when i was commissioned to shoot a boat at the Everett Marina i got this shot as well which is not a part of those images....

Didnt want to post this in Rachels sunset thread and be like i was hijacking her thead....

4424211742_ea5bfea761_o.jpg

Erik Jonas: Sunset '

Original

Taken on a tripod....I dont know at what but i think F11...I usually shoot at F22 but this image was not taken at that i can tell by looking at it...F11 or F8.....I think F11 though but this was 2008, cant remember....

Erik,

I like the picture. A sunset generally has to work on something besides the sky to escape being, Just another Sunset!" You have tried to do this and this is a nice attempt. The boats are interesting.

You have to read what Bart Van Der Wolf has written on aperture and image quality. Safe to say that for any DSLR you might be using, going above f8 or f11 will likely degrade your image though diffraction as the light waves are having to fight to get through the narrow opening. The interference causes each point of focus to be replaced by a series of concentric waves, like a stone dropped in the water.

It does not appear that the information in the image is fully used to show the depth in the picture and the reflections. You presentation seems rather flat. Excluding a possibility that you are trying top emulate French Impressionists, there's perhaps room for considering other ways of preparing your image. So here's a very quick attempt to optimize the image based on my own particular esthetics and but not, of course, related to what you might have seen that evening. What you saw does not necessarily make the ideal picture worth sharing. At least, for most of us, the picture taking is only the first step in the required labor and craft of making a picture work for others too.

4424211742_ea5bfea761_o_AK.jpg

Erik jonas: Sunset

Edits by ADK

I do hope you might find the edited version is to some extent richer, more dimensional, now possesses depth, is interesting and worthy of consideration.

Asher

Send me the original file so I can tell you how it was shot and give advise based on that.

ErikJonas

Banned
Asher no offense ment....But that looks aweful....And i want as close to as what i was viewing not enhanced i want to stay away from doing that to my images too much....Also i never send full meg files to anyone be it edited or unedited....The only person to have those is me...But thankyou...

Asher no offense ment....But that looks aweful....

Hi Erik,

It appears that your monitor gamma settings may differ from what most people, especially the ones with calibrated displays, are using. Many of the images you've posted on OPF look washed-out, undersaturated. The most likely reason is a wrong gamma setting of your display.

Here is a link to a free gamma setting tool, which would make it easier to compare images across different displays, and produce more predictable output in print.

To check if one's gamma settings are correct (gamma 2.2 is the most common setting) the following page has a visual tool that allows a quick check:
http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html#gammachart

A somewhat more accurate version allows to check at 3 different brightness levels and for the individual RGB colorchannels.

Cheers,
Bart

Wendy Thurman

Asher no offense ment....But that looks aweful....And i want as close to as what i was viewing not enhanced i want to stay away from doing that to my images too much....Also i never send full meg files to anyone be it edited or unedited....The only person to have those is me...But thankyou...

Erik-

Might I suggest that you regard criticism, particularly when it is solicited, as something other than "awful"? Asher has gone out of his way by spending his time to work with your image. A polite "thank you, but I respectfully prefer my initial submission," would have been sufficient.

M. Alain Briot, an accomplished Master who posts here, commented on one of my images and spent the time to not only comment on one of my images but to go to the next step and show me his vision. That attention was a rare and unusual privilege and something I know I would not find elsewhere.

Our photography is an extension of ourselves, of who we are as indivduals. If your heart is in it, then it has worth- even if it is techically imperfect. Asking "what do you think of this?" is a valid question but it is one that should only be asked after the question "what do I think of this?"

Wendy

ErikJonas

Banned
Wendy....You have a great point...I did not mean that in a mean or angry way i was just being honest but you phrased that much better...Asher too has a wonderful way with words....I'll keep your comments in mind or try to...It is hard to change over night. But it is something to work on for sure...Thanks

Bart...Good evening sir!!!.....Thankyou for the time spent to post the links...I'll try to explain this as best i can...A)Right now with my settings or how my monitor is i am getting exactly what i want in my prints...I have had two awesome photographers one of which shoots for National Geographic tell me that my web images that they have seen look as you said but my actual prints as they have seen my actual prints, the prints look great......I have no idea why this is...I am more concerned with the prints as thats what i sell..... On the link...I did a lot of resurch on screen calibration...One of the things i found was that no one offers it as a service...The only true way to calibrate a monitor is with a hardware tool....Spyder 3....Soft ware tools are not effective...One day i'll have to get everything consistant with monitor, prints and such. Right now my prints are coming out great and i dont want to screw that up....If that makes any sense....If it gets screwed up theres NO ONE to help me get it straight....I had a nice LCD monitor and then all my prints were just crap when i went to get them printed...I lost a lot of money print after print after print...I ended up taking the LCD back and geting out my CRT which was in a corner in the garage....And after that my prints were back to where they should be...

Screen calibration is a B****.....Sorry it is theres no nice way to put it....This is especially if your not computer literate....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wendy....You have a great point...I did not mean that in a mean or angry way i was just being honest but you phrased that much better...Asher too has a wonderful way with words....I'll keep your comments in mind or try to...It is hard to change over night. But it is something to work on for sure...Thanks

Bart...Good evening sir!!!.....Thank you for the time spent to post the links...I'll try to explain this as best i can...A)Right now with my settings or how my monitor is i am getting exactly what i want in my prints...I have had two awesome photographers one of which shoots for National Geographic tell me that my web images that they have seen look as you said but my actual prints as they have seen my actual prints, the prints look great......I have no idea why this is...I am more concerned with the prints as thats what i sell.....
Why don't you send me a couple of prints so I can see for myself how they come out. I'll send them right back. Who are these great Photographers and exactly which images are they referring to that look great in the actual prints?

At present I'm stymied since you claim you have praise all around for your prints, they are selling like hot cakes. I really don't follow as a poor file is a poor file and wont suddenly make a good print unless it's worked on. Where do you get your prints make, to they make adjustments?

I've not seen a flat image become dimensional on printing without adding an S curve, sharpening or some other change. A poor, thin, flat image lacking highlight and shadow details, cannot suddenly become vibrant just by itself. So you must be referring to different prints than the ones we have generally seen of yours. Not all your pictures are flat and limited in tonal range, but generally speaking would be a fair description.

Asher