Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Landscape - Travel

Old September 25th, 2013, 08:08 AM

Default A big landscape

This is another part of Arches National Park.

This is a stitched panorama. The segments were shot with the lens at 105mm on a crop sensor. Despite the high number of pixels, the resolution is a little disappointing -- there is a lack of detail in the foreground. Maybe not enough depth of field? Still, it works out OK for a 24x84 print. Now I just need a place to display it.

I like the way (in the print) you can see detail in the distance, and the colors were wonderful. It happened to rain the night before, and the clouds participated.

Untitled
Bob Rogers
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:44 AM

Hi, Bob,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rogers View Post
This is another part of Arches National Park.

This is a stitched panorama. The segments were shot with the lens at 105mm on a crop sensor.
But you didn't get any crops—I know they are hard to raise in this terrain.

Or maybe you mean "cropped"— that your sensor was cut down from one of a larger size. That is really delicate work!

But I'll bet you mean that your camera's sensor is smaller than that of cameras whose sensor is larger. All mine are that way.

Just pulling you leg!

Quote:
I like the way (in the print) you can see detail in the distance, and the colors were wonderful. It happened to rain the night before, and the clouds participated.

Untitled

It is beautiful, and a wonderful piece of work.

Best regards,

Doug
Old September 25th, 2013, 09:58 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rogers View Post

This is a stitched panorama. The segments were shot with the lens at 105mm on a crop sensor. Despite the high number of pixels, the resolution is a little disappointing -- there is a lack of detail in the foreground. Maybe not enough depth of field? Still, it works out OK for a 24x84 print. Now I just need a place to display it.

Bob Rogers: Untitled

Acres National Park

Bob,

I adore stratification of elements in a picture. So not having so much detail in the foreground is quite fine in the build of this landscape. There's more detail per unit area of landscape in the foreground than in the b.g., but the b.g. just pears sharper with more contrast, but it all works well. The apparent deficit in sharpness near us allows us to be drawn deep into the picture.

I do like the feature with the horizontal shadow in the center of the lower edge as it serves as an anchor before going off into your scene and exploring its beauty.

The line of green shrubs on the left compliments well the distant mountains at the sky line.

The clouds are full and billowing with great detail and an impressive range of tonalities.

The only thing that I might add would require artistic license to add a tad of sky, just enough to clone in completion of each cloud and keep us in the picture.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.