Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Photojournalism - Street - Documentary

Old January 7th, 2010, 11:27 AM

Default Crane crossing the Panama Canal

A yard crane Mitsui Paseco crossing the Panama Canal. The shots were taken at different locations of the Canal during the transit of the crane from the Pacific to the Atlantic. I hope you find it interesting!

Ruben Alfu : Crane crossing the Panama Canal 1

Ruben Alfu : Crane crossing the Panama Canal 2

Ruben Alfu : Crane crossing the Panama Canal 3

Ruben Alfu : Crane crossing the Panama Canal 4

Old January 7th, 2010, 11:43 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Ruben Alfu : Crane crossing the Panama Canal 4

Ruben,

I expected a bird in flight, a crane of all things flying above the Panama Canal. So I was surprised to find a massive steel structure in tow.

This last picture is the most impressive in that the scene, and what demands attention, has been simplified. The crane's form now is silhouetted against the sky and its power is expressed very well. The other pictures provide context, like the "making of" videos to show background scenes on a movie lot of how the film was made.

Good job!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old January 7th, 2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Ruben,

I expected a bird in flight, a crane of all things flying above the Panama Canal. So I was surprised to find a massive steel structure in tow.

Asher
haha, well, sorry for the less poetic rendering of the concept. Not sure if I caught any birds during this shooting, IŽll see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post

This last picture is the most impressive in that the scene, and what demands attention, has been simplified. The crane's form now is silhouetted against the sky and its power is expressed very well. The other pictures provide context, like the "making of" videos to show background scenes on a movie lot of how the film was made.

Good job!

Asher
Glad you like it Asher, thanks so much! You are right about the photos, they were made with the sole intention to document the transit, actually the last one was one of those extra shots I did for my own pleasure.
Old January 7th, 2010, 03:57 PM

Hi Ruben,

You know my interest in canals, so this series was quite interesting.

The first of the series was my favorite. I like the soft light, and the haze (I'm guessing due to high humidity) added much to the mood of the shot. You indicate they were taken to document the transit, but your choice of composition in each allows the viewer room to explore.

Thank you for sharing these, and I look forward to more.
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Robbins View Post
Hi Ruben,

You know my interest in canals, so this series was quite interesting.

The first of the series was my favorite. I like the soft light, and the haze (I'm guessing due to high humidity) added much to the mood of the shot. You indicate they were taken to document the transit, but your choice of composition in each allows the viewer room to explore.

Thank you for sharing these, and I look forward to more.
Thanks very much for your kind words Tom. Humidity and UV levels in Panama are very high most of the time, I like too the effect in that photo.
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:33 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Ruben Alfu : Crane crossing the Panama Canal 3

Ruben,

Tom's attention to the first picture made me look back again de novo and start again to experience your pictures one at a time. I realize that these pictures belong, each with there own space! I realize now that I should have paid attention to that first picture as Tom did!

So now I'll focus on an entirely different image. Here we have a white lighthouse type structure and a chain fence laid out with beautiful green grass as if this was a resort town in New England. This photograph has a holiday atmosphere and is delightful. I'd have not imagined the location was the panama canal.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:00 AM

Thanks for such a flattering comment Asher. I love the romantic aura of lighthouses. I donŽt know if they are going to disappear in the future but not that many remain in use today in the canal.
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:47 AM

These are good documentary images, Ruben. Are you able to document much more of this operation?
Personally, i'd like to see 'em as B&W's, colour has no significance in these shots for me.
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/ "In fact I don't believe there is such a thing as a definitive picture of something. The land is a living, breathing thing and light changes its character every second of every day." - Fay Godwin "All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
Old January 10th, 2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Abbott View Post
These are good documentary images, Ruben. Are you able to document much more of this operation?
Personally, i'd like to see 'em as B&W's, colour has no significance in these shots for me.
Thanks very much Paul, unfortunately I donŽt do this regularly. I do have BW photos of the canal, IŽll post them in another thread.