Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Pet's Corner: Professional as well as enjoyable photos of your pets.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Meagan Rivard Meagan Rivard is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 18
Default My furry Babies

These are what get me out of bed in the morning even when I don't want to.







Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,947
Default

Meagan,

Welcome to you and your furry friends! I like the idea of having a ready supply of animal pictures. We have a long relationship with both canines and horses!

We'll really enjoy your work.

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 12th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Meagan Rivard Meagan Rivard is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 18
Default

LOL Asher. My dogs and horses make up the base of my life so I have TONS of pictures around. I can't show you what I consider to be my best shots of my dogs because I hunt with them, and they have a very high potential to offend some. But yes, you will frequently be seeing pictures of them as they are my favorite subjects.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old October 12th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meagan Rivard View Post
LOL Asher. My dogs and horses make up the base of my life so I have TONS of pictures around. I can't show you what I consider to be my best shots of my dogs because I hunt with them, and they have a very high potential to offend some. But yes, you will frequently be seeing pictures of them as they are my favorite subjects.
What do you hunt? Deer?

It's truly part of being human to hunt!

Some do it with just a camera, stealing copies of people from a distance or others do it as salesmen, selling lap-band surgeries or cars full of gadgets. Some folk have no idea how peas get into a can or meat jumps in to a hamburger machine!

Still, I agree, any really truthful exposés of our basic animal qualities can be considered offensive, as we are too well mannered to look to see how primitive we really are! So be selective in sparing us what will likely be seen as cruelty. However, there must be beauty, even in this hunt for food, or is it sport, as in the U.K. with guys dressed up in some puffed up quasi military costumes, brass horns and all!

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 12th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Meagan Rivard Meagan Rivard is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 18
Default

I do deer hunt, however, I use my dogs to hunt wild pigs. It's known as Hog Dogging. Before you ask, the sh*t you see on TV is exactly that.. sh*t... Very little about those shows are real and show anything close to what I do.

As far as pictures, well it's a well known fact that you don't show them in public for fear of ridicule so that's not something that you have to worry about.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 13th, 2012, 12:04 PM
fahim mohammed fahim mohammed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meagan Rivard View Post
I do deer hunt, however, I use my dogs to hunt wild pigs. It's known as Hog Dogging. Before you ask, the sh*t you see on TV is exactly that.. sh*t... Very little about those shows are real and show anything close to what I do.

As far as pictures, well it's a well known fact that you don't show them in public for fear of ridicule so that's not something that you have to worry about.
I know I want to say something..

Yes. A very warm welcome to OPF Meagan.

Best.
__________________
koffee and kamera
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 13th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Meagan Rivard Meagan Rivard is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahim mohammed View Post
I know I want to say something..

Yes. A very warm welcome to OPF Meagan.

Best.
Thank you sir.

I have been thinking and looking through my pictures, and I have a few from a competition I took my gyp to last year that I think would be okay to show, but I'm not sure so before I show the series, I'll feel it out with this one picture and see how everyone reacts. This is huge part of my life so I hate keeping it in the dark.


I loved that I caught the ripples in her shoulder muscle.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 13th, 2012, 02:03 PM
StuartRae StuartRae is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 1,025
Default

Hi Meagan,

Welcome to OPF.

Quote:
......... however, I use my dogs to hunt wild pigs.
I was raised on a farm. I used to shoot game birds and my dog used to chase and catch hares and rabbits, so I have no problems with you hunting wild pigs.

However, I find it difficult to describe the image you posted as 'hunting', since it appears from the wire fence that the pig is in an enclosed area.

Even so, I'm not upset by the image as some more sensitive people might be. You say it's a competition, so maybe you could explain the rules?

Regards,

Stuart
__________________
-----------------------------------
C&C and edits always welcome
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 13th, 2012, 02:28 PM
George Holroyd George Holroyd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hungary
Posts: 276
Default

Wild pigs (Wildschwein) were abundant in the area of Germany where I used to live, they make for good eating!
__________________
George E. Holroyd III
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 13th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Meagan Rivard Meagan Rivard is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartRae View Post
Hi Meagan,

Welcome to OPF.



I was raised on a farm. I used to shoot game birds and my dog used to chase and catch hares and rabbits, so I have no problems with you hunting wild pigs.

However, I find it difficult to describe the image you posted as 'hunting', since it appears from the wire fence that the pig is in an enclosed area.

Even so, I'm not upset by the image as some more sensitive people might be. You say it's a competition, so maybe you could explain the rules?

Regards,

Stuart
Stuart, the competition that Grace was in at the time of the picture is called a baying. It is simply a way to show off how well our dogs can handle themselves while working a pig, much like sheep or cattle herding. It is very common for ASPCA or HSUS to say that we allow our dogs to maul or kill the pigs. That is simply not true. There is a 3 second hold rule, which means that if the pig breaks and runs our dogs have permission to nip it to a stop, but must let go. If they do not, then they are disqualified and banned from future competitions. Other than that, their job is to simply get the pig stopped and then keep it stopped by barking at it, called baying. They are in a 60' round pen which is the smallest enclosure used. They can go upwards of 5 acres. You are judged at how well your dog is able to keep the pig in one spot, and how often and how loud your dog barks. The hogs are protected by the 3 second rule, and the dogs are protected by special collars, vests, and the fact that we grind their tusks off much like a dentist does your tooth before putting a crown on. 99% of your true hunters use bay competitions to train their dogs in a stable environment on how to handle themselves around a pig that can't kill them before hunting ones that can.

Hunting with dogs, well there is WAY to much to try and explain but it is by far the #1 best was to remove wild hogs.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old October 13th, 2012, 03:24 PM
StuartRae StuartRae is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 1,025
Default

Hi Meagan,

Thanks for the explanation. Interesting about the 'nipping', because in sheep dog trials a dog is penalised if it 'grips'. Of course in real life this is how a dog controls an obstinate sheep.

Quote:
Hunting with dogs, well there is WAY to much to try and explain but it is by far the #1 best was to remove wild hogs.
Same over here with foxes, despite what the anti-hunting lobby would say. It's a clean and quick kill compared with traps, poison and (inaccurate) shooting.

Regards,

Stuart
__________________
-----------------------------------
C&C and edits always welcome
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old October 13th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Meagan Rivard Meagan Rivard is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartRae View Post
Hi Meagan,

Thanks for the explanation. Interesting about the 'nipping', because in sheep dog trials a dog is penalised if it 'grips'. Of course in real life this is how a dog controls an obstinate sheep.

Regards,

Stuart
Exactly. Hog Dogs are the same way. If a hog breaks in the wild, a dog had better get a good hold and shut it down, but in competition it is penalized.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Babies - hard work...... Johann van Rensburg Studio, Portrait, Still Life, Lighting Equipment and Technique 8 January 19th, 2014 11:40 AM
Furry Moth jake klein Close-up & Macro 1 July 24th, 2011 12:03 PM
Oh where have my babies gone? Trent G. Anderson Layback Cafe 4 November 24th, 2007 04:19 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:42 PM.


Posting images or text grants license to OPF, yet © of such remain with its creator. Still, all assembled discussion © 2006-2017 Asher Kelman (all rights reserved) Posts with new theme or unusual image might be moved/copied to a new thread!