Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Pet's Corner: Professional as well as enjoyable photos of your pets.

Old October 2nd, 2016, 08:30 PM

Smile British Bull Dog

Ha Ha! Bet you weren't expecting this

This bull dog, clearly loved and cherished by its owner, is 14 years old and going strong. It lives in Northwestern Ontario, Canada, survives winters without a 'kennel', and remains rust-free. Cheers, Mike.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 11:45 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Yes, you totally had me taken in for a split second. why this should be called a British Bulldog, escapes me, as I would have though a Landcover would have been more the make than a north American truck!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 12:37 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Yes, you totally had me taken in for a split second. why this should be called a British Bulldog, escapes me, as I would have though a Landcover would have been more the make than a north American truck!
Asher
I have no idea either, Asher. The owner is a young man, very proud of his vehicle, with no trace of a British accent. The name seemed appropriate to me because it evokes cognitions about strength, persistence, obstinacy - a Churchillian Britishness - regardless of where the truck was made. So I chose not to ask him for reasons. Had I taken a photo of the back of the truck, you'd have seen a gleaming chrome bulldog's head attached to the trailer hitch.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Stones View Post
I have no idea either, Asher. The owner is a young man, very proud of his vehicle, with no trace of a British accent. The name seemed appropriate to me because it evokes cognitions about strength, persistence, obstinacy - a Churchillian Britishness - regardless of where the truck was made. So I chose not to ask him for reasons. Had I taken a photo of the back of the truck, you'd have seen a gleaming chrome bulldog's head attached to the trailer hitch.
I have come to like the folk that drive these very practical vehicles. The inside are quite roomy and accommodate a family well. The utility of being able to also haul anything rough or dirty is perfect, far better than my BMW sports activity vehicle, even with all its "appointments", LOL.

Let's see the bulldog on the back now!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 09:58 AM

Smile

Quote:
I have come to like the folk that drive these very practical vehicles. The inside are quite roomy and accommodate a family well. The utility of being able to also haul anything rough or dirty is perfect, far better than my BMW sports activity vehicle, even with all its "appointments", LOL.

Let's see the bulldog on the back now!

Asher
Ok, will do when the owner brings the truck back from work.
Old October 4th, 2016, 01:27 PM

Smile

Quote:
Let's see the bulldog on the back now!Asher
Here's the pet bulldog Cheers, Mike.

Old October 6th, 2016, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Stones View Post
Here's the pet bulldog Cheers, Mike.

Now that can give a real bite in the arse; or worse!

😂

Old October 28th, 2016, 02:09 AM

That's the best Bulldog I have seen!
Old October 28th, 2016, 08:53 AM

This 1920 Mack chain-drive truck:

did not sport the Mack "bulldog" hood ornament (the company adopted that symbol in 1922) but is still often spoken of by truck aficiandos as a "bulldog".

We see the real bulldog here:

Best regards,

Doug
Old October 28th, 2016, 10:01 AM

Of special collateral interest to me is the telephone number on the truck, GLENDALE 1809W. The "W" is a party suffix used on "full-selective" four-party lines, where four electrically-distinct signals could be sent on the line, each of which would ring the ringer(s) at only one of the stations ("parties").

The four suffix letters used were J, M, R, and W, chosen for good distinctness when spoken but also to correspond to separate digits on the dial when used in dial service. (From the presentation of the number on the truck, almost certainly manual, rather than dial, service was involved here.)

Curiously, notwithstanding the great degree of standardization in the Bell Telephone System, the mapping of the party letters J, M, R, and R to the four electrical signals was not completely uniform over the different Bell operating telephone companies. Many "catastrophes" resulted from this.

Best regards,

Doug
Old October 29th, 2016, 04:01 AM

Bulldog - like this?

Bulldog is a common word for tractor in Germany and Heinrich Lanz created the Lanz Bulldog brand in 1921.
The interesting feature of these tractors is the motor - a hot bulb engine.

Here is a Lanz 8ps Mops (Mops means Pug which is the model designation of this type of Lanz Bulldog):

Now seriously - this thread is IMHO a better fit for Architectural - Industrial.

Best regards,
Michael
Old October 29th, 2016, 09:13 AM

Hi, Michael,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Nagel View Post
Bulldog - like this?

Bulldog is a common word for tractor in Germany and Heinrich Lanz created the Lanz Bulldog brand in 1921.
The interesting feature of these tractors is the motor - a hot bulb engine.

Here is a Lanz 8ps Mops (Mops means Pug which is the model designation of this type of Lanz Bulldog):

Very nice, and interesting. Thanks.

Quote:
Now seriously - this thread is IMHO a better fit for Architectural - Industrial.
Well, indeed.

Best regards,

Doug