Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Camera Discussion > Canon Eos Mount DSLRs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 10th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Charles L Webster Charles L Webster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Silicon Valley CA
Posts: 596
Default Using Live View for fine focus

From the original thread here

On a positive note, I find tethered live view shooting in the studio the best thing that has happened to my photography since I went digital. The ability to see the shot on the computer screen in advance, and to drive the camera focus controls while zoomed into the live view image gives me a degree of control I haven't had since using a loupe on the ground glass of a view camera.

Chalres
__________________
<Chas>

Everything in the frame must contribute to the picture.
http://www.charlesLwebster.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old July 10th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles L Webster View Post
On a positive note, I find tethered live view shooting in the studio the best thing that has happened to my photography since I went digital. The ability to see the shot on the computer screen in advance, and to drive the camera focus controls while zoomed into the live view image gives me a degree of control I haven't had since using a loupe on the ground glass of a view camera.
Charles,

You're so right! I am able to use manual focus lenses, like the 24mm TSE on my 5DII and feel so comfortable with the focussing. What do you use for seeing the image on your laptop? Canons program, lightroom or what?

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old July 10th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Doug Kerr Doug Kerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 8,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
What do you use for seeing the image on your laptop? Canons program, lightroom or what?
Our tethered work so far has all been with our Powershot SX110 IS.

We use either Canon RemoteCapture DC (I believe it gets installed with ZoomBrowser EX, but I forget) or Breeze PSRemote.

The way all the Canon support stuff gets installed, and how you access it, is really weird.

Best regards,

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old July 10th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Charles L Webster Charles L Webster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Silicon Valley CA
Posts: 596
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Charles,

You're so right! I am able to use manual focus lenses, like the 24mm TSE on my 5DII and feel so comfortable with the focussing. What do you use for seeing the image on your laptop? Canons program, lightroom or what?

Asher
I'm using Breeze Systems DSLR Capture Pro, because I had issues with Canon's EOS Utility crashing repeatedly. I like the fact that DSLR Capture Pro has it's own full screen view, rather than having to use a watched folder in LR.

I haven't upgraded my LR to 3.0 yet, so haven't tried tethering directly with that.
__________________
<Chas>

Everything in the frame must contribute to the picture.
http://www.charlesLwebster.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old July 10th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles L Webster View Post
I'm using Breeze Systems DSLR Capture Pro, because I had issues with Canon's EOS Utility crashing repeatedly. I like the fact that DSLR Capture Pro has it's own full screen view, rather than having to use a watched folder in LR.

I haven't upgraded my LR to 3.0 yet, so haven't tried tethering directly with that.
Charles,

Just the PC version or any experience with the Mac program for tethered shooting?

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old July 10th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Charles L Webster Charles L Webster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Silicon Valley CA
Posts: 596
Default

I'm PC only these days. The last Mac went out the door about 10 years ago when I couldn't afford to upgrade to a Quadra.

Breeze Systems DSLR Capture Pro is PC only, to the best of my knowledge.

I'm planning to upgrade my LR after my return from my next trip so will report on direct teathering at that time.
__________________
<Chas>

Everything in the frame must contribute to the picture.
http://www.charlesLwebster.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canon EOS focusing strategy Doug Kerr Canon Eos Mount DSLRs 3 July 2nd, 2010 10:02 AM
What does higher ISO in digital give us? Is it really a higher ISO? Asher Kelman Imaging Technology: Theory, Alternatives, Practice and Advances. 52 December 29th, 2009 09:28 PM
Fun: E-3 Live View and Textures Robert Watcher Photography as Art 9 June 7th, 2009 09:59 AM
Understanding and selecting lenses Rhys Sage Layback Cafe 13 September 13th, 2008 09:47 AM
Live View Stuff Wil Andrews Canon Eos Mount DSLRs 1 January 24th, 2008 06:08 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:21 PM.


Posting images or text grants license to OPF, yet of such remain with its creator. Still, all assembled discussion 2006-2017 Asher Kelman (all rights reserved) Posts with new theme or unusual image might be moved/copied to a new thread!