Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Still Photo: Approaching Fine Photography

Still Photo: Approaching Fine Photography Photography as a visual artform open to any serious picture, where classical photography is the mode of our expression. Open to all! Not curated. For works intended for clients and galleries submit to GALLERY ONE.

Old July 5th, 2015, 04:48 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default "Farmer's Market"!

Here we all can will assemble pictures from our visits to so called, "Farmers" Markets" where farm-fresh produce is sold and folk throng, staring at everything and everyone, sampling and meeting old and new friends.

It starts with tasting food! Some go on to buy, others are professional tasters and make the rounds!

...and everyone is on the look out for friends, where their kids are, catching up and report on the "in fruit" that's the "OMG, you must buy some before they're all gone" in today's offerings!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old July 8th, 2015, 03:39 PM

Default Just a MF 28mm lens on a body for a companion and essentially, no editing.

Asher Kelman: Pictures At The Beverly Hills Farmer's Market

Zeiss Contax MM 28mm Distagon 28mm 2.0 "Anniversary" lens on Sony A7R

No Edits beyond Topaz Clarity

These are all single shots, and time preparing each jpg from RAW is about 2 minutes.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old July 9th, 2015, 12:44 AM

With just one 28mm lens, one has to be put in a tad more effort So here's a stitched panorama and then conversion to B&W with NIK Silver FX Pro and finished with Topaz acuity:

Asher Kelman: Sing Along with Sockeye Smith

Beverly Hills Farmers' Market 2015

Sony A7R with 28mm 2.0 Zeiss Contax MM Distagon

Asher

Old July 11th, 2015, 12:12 PM

More to follow!

Add yours too!

Old July 11th, 2015, 12:33 PM

Asher Kelman: Looking!

Asher

Old July 11th, 2015, 05:22 PM

Asher

Wonderful! I loved the trip with you…catching humanity in its most beautiful form! Kudos. I adored the lama photo so much especially in Beverly Hills- Priceless!

C.
Old July 11th, 2015, 05:28 PM

Charlotte,

I so enjoy shooting in the street and try to be no part of the scene. There are no edits at all, except perhaps in one case some black mass in the corner was "healed" away, as it was too distracting.

I did get noticed by a parent taking a picture of her child and thought she had nodded approval. However, she really meant, please don't, so I deleted it in front of her. However, I discovered later on that the same child was caught incidentally in another shot earlier on and that I did not delete as it had not caused her angst. Obviously that is a sliding scale of photographic ethics, but my job is not to frighten parents or identify their kids.

So far no one is angry with me, and that's great! Lots of appreciation if I give my card for free pics!

Asher

Old July 11th, 2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post

Asher Kelman: Looking!

Asher
Hello

Good one!
Old July 11th, 2015, 07:38 PM

Default No Red Peppers!

Triple Sweet Jubilee Corn arrived three weeks early this year but don't boil it like mom used to do! Steam it for two or three minutes, three would be max.
Old July 11th, 2015, 11:09 PM

Well photographed and presented Asher.

The place, the atmosphere, all having fun...a wonderful day out it must have been.

The 28mm eh? Then reading from the reports, The Leica Q is something you must consider.

Best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
With just one 28mm lens, one has to be put in a tad more effort So here's a stitched panorama and then conversion to B&W with NIK Silver FX Pro and finished with Topaz acuity:

Asher Kelman: Sing Along with Sockeye Smith

Asher
Old July 12th, 2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahim mohammed View Post
Well photographed and presented Asher.

The place, the atmosphere, all having fun...a wonderful day out it must have been.

The 28mm eh? Then reading from the reports, The Leica Q is something you must consider.

Best.

Thanks for coming by, Fahim. I love visitors!

Yes, the new Leica Q a wonder of engineering. But still, the vintage 28mm Distagon Anniversary 2.0 is fabulous for writing great contrast. But there are some minor peripheral aberrations which only appear in vertical architecture where one can recognize very slight curves at the borders of the field of view. It has no relevance in 99.99% of pictures, and with a camera. If that lens was supported by DXO, the corrections would be straightforward.

Having a Leica Q would mean the corrections are built in and either done in the camera or else when the Raw is processed!

Asher

Old July 12th, 2015, 05:56 AM
Administrator

Just Panasonic GX7 + Leica 15mm (30mm) at the market this morning.
Two among some.
Can I post color ?

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
Old July 23rd, 2015, 11:33 PM

So wonderful shots in this series! It comes alive!!
Old July 24th, 2015, 01:33 AM

Hi

Fish is welcome? :-))

Old December 6th, 2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
Just Panasonic GX7 + Leica 15mm (30mm) at the market this morning.
Two among some.
Can I post color ?

This is a prize site to buy fish and for photography, s secret of Setubal, Portugal.

This is such a rich genuine market where one can get almost any fish or creature that lives in the oceans!

Asher

Old December 6th, 2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Plattner View Post
Hi

Fish is welcome? :-))

Of course fish is welcome, Wolfgang! It's the abundance of fish that allowed us to explore and colonize the coasts of new lands new lands.

Now the fellow here is so lively, almost looks like they are auctioning the fish!

Asher

Old December 6th, 2017, 11:28 PM

Now back to the folk in the market in Beverly Hills where some go just to bump into friends and catch up.

Asher Kelman: Catching Up

Old December 8th, 2017, 04:54 PM

Honestly I think the images would be far more interesting in the original color.
Old December 8th, 2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dexter View Post
Honestly I think the images would be far more interesting in the original color.
Hi Peter,

You may be correct with Antonio Correia's fish market pictures. The colors tell a lot and they are all natural and therefore more disciplined. However, other pictures here have clothes colors which are artificial and not well -mannered, LOL!

One of the very special things about B&W is the removal of all the disparate unnatural colors, each screaming for attention. If hues are assigned to tonalities carefully, B&W can reveal more in the depth of the picture, the substance behind the prettiness.

For sure, all the pictures could be more beautiful and flower-like, but the esthetic is very different, like the change between a colored silk spring dress and the and the suit of a barrister in court in the U.K., perfumed wig and all!

Asher

Old December 8th, 2017, 09:30 PM

Very Nice shots in a series. I liked the concept.
Old December 9th, 2017, 04:03 AM
Administrator/Moderator

I am amazed that photographs posted in this thread are B&W only, markets are known for their richness of colors!
So allow me to share this one that I posted a long time ago :
in this thread

I hope this post will not destroy the spirit of this thread… : ; )
Old December 9th, 2017, 04:28 AM
Administrator

General view from Setubal's market in August 2017 and detail of a pig whearing glasses.
I think I haven't posted these before...

Old December 9th, 2017, 05:37 AM

And I will share this which I also may have posted: market at Silvia.

Asher I respect your opinion and know that many agree with you but I think converting images to black & white has become a much over used fad and in most cases (but not all) I am quite bored by them. My eyes came equipped with a fine set of functioning cone cells and they contribute significantly to my perception and enjoyment of the world around me.
Old December 9th, 2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Claris View Post
I am amazed that photographs posted in this thread are B&W only, markets are known for their richness of colors!
So allow me to share this one that I posted a long time ago :
in this thread

I hope this post will not destroy the spirit of this thread… : ; )
Nicolas,

The color here is splendid, but it is all natural and not impudent!

Humans, however, are in the habit of creating weird combinations that unsettlectranquility!

In addition, some scenes are unified by removing distracting color differences that annoy, enrage or seduce us. There is a new world to explore beneath color.

All good, but a variation of how we see and what then becomes significant.

Asher

Old December 9th, 2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dexter View Post
And I will share this which I also may have posted: market at Silvia.

Asher I respect your opinion and know that many agree with you but I think converting images to black & white has become a much over used fad and in most cases (but not all) I am quite bored by them. My eyes came equipped with a fine set of functioning cone cells and they contribute significantly to my perception and enjoyment of the world around me.
The odd green-cyan color of the two jackets/tops on the right are, to me, a little rude and unnatural. However, others might not have my sensitivity.

Apart from that, the colors are, once again, splendid! I love the sense of abundance here!

Asher

Old December 9th, 2017, 09:59 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Thank you Antonio and Peter for your splendid additions!

Asher, in a Veggie and fruit market, there is no distracting color!

BTW i did not said that B&W was not the way to shoot markets, I wrote that I was amazed that there were no color pics, that's a bit different!
Old December 9th, 2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Claris View Post
Thank you Antonio and Peter for your splendid additions!

Asher, in a Veggie and fruit market, there is no distracting color!

BTW i did not said that B&W was not the way to shoot markets, I wrote that I was amazed that there were no color pics, that's a bit different!
Nicolas,

You misread me, LOL! I love the color in the veggie market. I just don't like some of the weird artificial clothing dye colors of some human creations! Otherwise my preference for an individual image of nature is alwaya color.

B&W is to look below color, at shape and texture, with color hues being intelligently assigned to level of grey scale for best contrast and harmony.

Asher

Old December 9th, 2017, 10:56 AM
Administrator

India, a couple of years ago...

Old December 9th, 2017, 11:43 AM

I'm really envious of people who come from countries where farmer's markets are a real thing. We have a tendency to get really bureaucratic and follow every possible food and healthy regulation to the last dot. This has driven our food market almost entirely to the large grocery chains. So, finding a real farmer's market in Finland requires a lot of effort.

Enough whining. Very nice pictures, everyone. You probably understand why I'm not going to contribute much to this thread...
Old December 9th, 2017, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmo Juntunen View Post
I'm really envious of people who come from countries where farmer's markets are a real thing. We have a tendency to get really bureaucratic and follow every possible food and healthy regulation to the last dot. This has driven our food market almost entirely to the large grocery chains. So, finding a real farmer's market in Finland requires a lot of effort.
Enough whining. Very nice pictures, everyone. You probably understand why I'm not going to contribute much to this thread...
You have to come to Portugal !