Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Wedding and Event

Old June 14th, 2012, 06:49 AM

Default Engagement Photo - How to improve?

Old June 14th, 2012, 07:05 AM
pro member

Hi Otto,

I wouldn't change much, just add a bit of warmth to her legs because they look too blue.

Cheers,
Bart
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:31 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Haring View Post
How to improve?

Otto,

First, why do you think it needs improving? It'd engaging, fin and delightful! I'm sure they'll love it, so it's already more than sufficient for the purpose. Is that styrofoam, BTW, cause it does look so well planned and executed!

I'll let it stew in my mind and come back to it. But first congrats on the assignment and your imagination. It seems like you had a flash of an idea and then just did it so well. Wonderful!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old June 18th, 2012, 09:19 AM

As a new member here, I'm not sure how welcome my feedback is, but I'll jump in.

Truly lovely shot and nicely creative!

I would crop off some of the black on the left side--all of your name plus about half again that width. It would still leave it very nicely off center, but just not quite so much so. (So much is taste you know!)

Rach
Old June 18th, 2012, 09:54 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:

Hi Otto,

This idea is either kitsch, metaphorical or fun, depending on the mindset of the happy couple. Likely as not, they will value this a lot as it shows them together even in face of adversity and enjoying each other.

For improvements I'd give aa source to a light. It could be her father and mother looking out the window and holding a lantern to see what's going on or else a street lamppost which could be really easy to add. I'd also put in an interesting side walk. If the have a dog, I'd add that too, coming towards them from the left.

You can work on this and then get them to commission for a large print. This sort of original work could add a lot for the couple and increase your sales. I'll look at Norman Rockwell's work as this could very well be an homage to his style. That way, there's a whole prestige and popularism which acts as a subconscious scaffolding to your work.

Of course, it's fine as it is if they like it now but frankly, I'd see how far your imagination can lead you.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old June 18th, 2012, 09:45 PM

Hi, Otto,

Quote:
It is exquisite!

And what wonderful subjects.

If there was anything about which I would comment, it is about the water. It is a very clever aspect, but somehow doesn't quite "look right", and I'm sorry I can't say in what way.

Best regards,

Doug
Old July 13th, 2012, 05:59 AM

Your image catches my attention and draws my eye right where it needs to be - the couple k-i-s-s-i-n-g. Would make a great spread in an engagament book with the negative space.
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:05 AM

It sure is nice as is.

If I tried anything more, it would be to lower the highlights in the water stream on the left. They attract the eye probably a little more than they should.

John
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wolf View Post
It sure is nice as is.

If I tried anything more, it would be to lower the highlights in the water stream on the left. They attract the eye probably a little more than they should.

John
I also agree with that.
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wolf View Post
This and a perhaps a crop to 8x10, removing some of the empty space on the left.
Old July 14th, 2012, 05:04 PM

i think it crap tbh ....

to improve it - delete - reformat the drive and move on.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_van_der_Wolf View Post
Hi Otto,

I wouldn't change much, just add a bit of warmth to her legs because they look too blue.

Cheers,
Bart
Great point! Thanks! I will change it!
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post

Otto,

First, why do you think it needs improving? It'd engaging, fin and delightful! I'm sure they'll love it, so it's already more than sufficient for the purpose. Is that styrofoam, BTW, cause it does look so well planned and executed!

I'll let it stew in my mind and come back to it. But first congrats on the assignment and your imagination. It seems like you had a flash of an idea and then just did it so well. Wonderful!

Asher
Thanks a lot!
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hampton View Post
i think it crap tbh ....

to improve it - delete - reformat the drive and move on.
:)
Thanks for all the comments!!! They help a lot!!!!