Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Camera Discussion > Nikon Mount DSLR's

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 11th, 2015, 11:01 AM
fahim mohammed fahim mohammed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,324
Default Nikon 24-120mm f4

Versus the Nikon 28-300mm, as a travel lens for the Df.

Opinions, suggestions, experience greatly appreciated.
__________________
koffee and kamera
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old April 11th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Jerome Marot Jerome Marot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Munich, Germany.
Posts: 3,717
Default

Opinion: 24mm is a lot more useful than 28mm for a travel lens and 300mm is rarely necessary unless you are interested in wildlife.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old April 11th, 2015, 12:01 PM
fahim mohammed fahim mohammed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,324
Default

Hi Jerome.

Agree with you fully re: 24mm being much more useful for travel than the long end.

Contemplating zoom but could just buy the 24/1.8 and pair it with my 50/1.8, 85/1.8.
Looking to reduce weight and/volume.

Thanks.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
Opinion: 24mm is a lot more useful than 28mm for a travel lens and 300mm is rarely necessary unless you are interested in wildlife.
__________________
koffee and kamera
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old April 11th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Jerome Marot Jerome Marot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Munich, Germany.
Posts: 3,717
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahim mohammed View Post
Contemplating zoom but could just buy the 24/1.8 and pair it with my 50/1.8, 85/1.8.
Looking to reduce weight and/volume.
I don't think the difference in weight and volume would be significant between this collection of primes and the zoom, more important will be the difference in aperture, the stabilisation and the fact that primes need to be exchanged when the zoom changes focal by the turn of a zoom ring. In other words: nobody can really answer that question but you, it is entirely a matter of personal taste.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old April 11th, 2015, 12:59 PM
fahim mohammed fahim mohammed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,324
Default

And that my friend Jerome, is what I am struggling with!

Stay well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
I don't think the difference in weight and volume would be significant between this collection of primes and the zoom, more important will be the difference in aperture, the stabilisation and the fact that primes need to be exchanged when the zoom changes focal by the turn of a zoom ring. In other words: nobody can really answer that question but you, it is entirely a matter of personal taste.
__________________
koffee and kamera
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old April 12th, 2015, 12:21 AM
Tom dinning Tom dinning is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Darwin NT Australia
Posts: 2,088
Default

I used the 24-120 on the nikon d800 almost exclusively while traveling. It served me well. Now that I have downsized to Fuji I'm using the 18-135 or 18-55 as the attached lens and 10-24 tucked neatly in my man bag. Not missing the weight of nikon. I still rely on my own sensors to get the picture I want. It's cheaper and I have nothing to blame but myself for a bad picture.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old April 12th, 2015, 12:44 AM
Asher Kelman Asher Kelman is offline
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom dinning View Post
I used the 24-120 on the nikon d800 almost exclusively while traveling. It served me well. Now that I have downsized to Fuji I'm using the 18-135 or 18-55 as the attached lens and 10-24 tucked neatly in my man bag. Not missing the weight of nikon. I still rely on my own sensors to get the picture I want. It's cheaper and I have nothing to blame but myself for a bad picture.
What Fuji do you use and what's the sensor size?

Asher
__________________
Follow us on Twitter at @opfweb

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old April 12th, 2015, 01:55 AM
fahim mohammed fahim mohammed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,324
Default

Thank you Tom.

I always blame my equipment for bad pictures. Others always have better equipment and that's why all
Of them make better images than me.

So I am looking for gear that allows me to make images as good as them.
__________________
koffee and kamera
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old April 12th, 2015, 03:39 AM
Tom dinning Tom dinning is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Darwin NT Australia
Posts: 2,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahim mohammed View Post
Thank you Tom.

I always blame my equipment for bad pictures. Others always have better equipment and that's why all
Of them make better images than me.

So I am looking for gear that allows me to make images as good as them.
They are already as good, if not better, because your heart is in them. The camera has no heart. Personally, I look forward to your photos, especially those of your family. There are occasions when I think you try too hard to please. That's wasted on me. I'm Emily pleased. Of all the people I know through the web, you are on my priority list of people to meet. A firey exchange will surely ensue, as would a good belly laugh and a firm hug. Manly, of course.
Cheers
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old April 12th, 2015, 11:23 AM
fahim mohammed fahim mohammed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,324
Default

Only those that are content to swim forever in the sea of mediocrity do not try their utmost to please
themselves.

I prefer not to swim in such waters.
__________________
koffee and kamera
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old April 12th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Doug Kerr Doug Kerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 8,488
Default

Hi, Tom,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom dinning View Post
I'm Emily pleased.
Maybe a Freudian slip by the spell checker in your browser's text editor.

Or maybe not.

Best regards,

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old April 12th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Jerome Marot Jerome Marot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Munich, Germany.
Posts: 3,717
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahim mohammed View Post
Only those that are content to swim forever in the sea of mediocrity do not try their utmost to please themselves.
I do not think that any of the active members of this forum can be described as "content to swim in the sea of mediocrity". You are probably mistaken.

Why don't you just buy the prime and the zoom, test the setups for a couple of weeks and finally find out which of the two setups you prefer?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old April 12th, 2015, 12:23 PM
fahim mohammed fahim mohammed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,324
Default

Jerome, this response has nothing to do with cameras or anyone on this forum. It was a response to a post by a certain Tom that mentioned ' try hard to please ' or words to that effect.

Sorry I did not quote the post or the words in it. That would have saved some misunderstanding.
Re: the zoom, I have been to the dealer. No, not for me. Does not balance the way I would like on the Df. And heavy...about 0.8kg.
__________________
koffee and kamera
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old April 12th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Jerome Marot Jerome Marot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Munich, Germany.
Posts: 3,717
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahim mohammed View Post
Jerome, this response has nothing to do with cameras or anyone on this forum. It was a response to a post by a certain Tom that mentioned ' try hard to please ' or words to that effect.
Yes, I understood that.


Quote:
Re: the zoom, I have been to the dealer. No, not for me. Does not balance the way I would like on the Df. And heavy...about 0.8kg.
So... the prime, then?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old April 12th, 2015, 12:31 PM
fahim mohammed fahim mohammed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7,324
Default

I think the Nikon 20/1.8 G would do for a wide. Or the 28/1.8.

Best.
__________________
koffee and kamera
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old April 12th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Tom dinning Tom dinning is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Darwin NT Australia
Posts: 2,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kerr View Post
Hi, Tom,



Maybe a Freudian slip by the spell checker in your browser's text editor.

Or maybe not.

Best regards,

Doug
Thanks, Doug, but I prefer the anticipation of the unknown. Spell checkers are much more creative that I could ever be. Emily does wear a slip. Silk I think, not Freudian.
Cheers
Tom
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My World: Long live the Nikon D70 Daniel Schaefer Nikon Mount DSLR's 4 April 7th, 2011 10:35 AM
Olympus FL-50R coming from Nikon SB-800 Robert Watcher All other DSLR's and Four Thirds, 4/3 5 July 11th, 2008 06:30 PM
Married to Canon? How about a Nikon Mistress, the D300? Asher Kelman Breaking News 17 September 19th, 2007 10:52 PM
New Nikon D40! The buzz is on! Asher Kelman Breaking News 4 November 8th, 2006 07:13 AM
Desire to write a new, free raw converter Daniel_Hyams Image Processing and Workflow 13 August 1st, 2006 01:43 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:12 PM.


Posting images or text grants license to OPF, yet of such remain with its creator. Still, all assembled discussion 2006-2017 Asher Kelman (all rights reserved) Posts with new theme or unusual image might be moved/copied to a new thread!