Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Camera Discussion > Nikon Mount DSLR's

Old June 11th, 2008, 04:51 AM

Default How Good Are Sigma Lenses?

The price is certainly right.
Old June 11th, 2008, 04:51 AM

Well, the obvious answer is: it depends. Any particular lens you want to discuss?

Cheers,

flickr
website
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cem_Usakligil View Post
Well, the obvious answer is: it depends. Any particular lens you want to discuss?

Cheers,

How about the MACRO 70mm F2.8 EX DG?
Old June 14th, 2008, 12:12 PM

Default Sigma Lens, well worth the money

I have both a 70-200mm HSM Macro 2.8 and it does just as well as my Nikon 80-200mm ED 2.8, and I laso have the 18-50mm HSM 2.8 Lens as well and it does as well or better than any I've had..
Old June 24th, 2008, 11:56 AM

I own two SIGMAs. One is my favourite lens. It's the MACRO 105mm / f=2.8. It has a verry good built quality and resolution is extremely good. There's no distorsion, CAs or other remarkable failors. AF is a little bit slow, since it's not HSM, but still good. AF range can be limited for non macro usage.

The other SIGMA I own just arived today. It's the 10-20mm /f=4-5.6.
Same good built quality but ultra fast HSM AF. Can't say much about optical qualities at the moment since I did not have time to test. But according to
http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/46-n...report--review
it seems to be the best wide angle available at the moment. Distorsion is verry low for a extreme wide angle.

And not to forget; both lenses are Made in Japan! All original Nikon equipment I have is made somewhere else (China, Malaysia, Thailand).

So far to say, the EX series is verry good. Taking the price tag into account they are extremely good. Might be different for the low end (non EX) series.
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug anderson View Post
How about the MACRO 70mm F2.8 EX DG?
Here's a link to a test of its 105mm bigger brother. It looks like they have yet to test the 70mm version.

Later,
Johnny
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Johnson View Post
Here's a link to a test of its 105mm bigger brother. It looks like they have yet to test the 70mm version.

Later,
Johnny
They tested the 2.8/70mm for Canon at least:
http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Cano...w--test-report
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:24 AM

I recently bought the Sigma 12-24 DG EX for my Pentax K10D : it is really excellent, very sharp and superb contrast, no distorsion at wide angle, a real pleasure to use.

It's true that EX series are very good, however non EX series can be poor.
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:01 AM

Default How about the Sigma 150 2.8 Macro?

Doug,

It depends on how you'll use the lens, but the Sigma 150mm 2.8 has in-lens autofocus motor and gets good reviews. I've seen some work with it that is impressive.

Here is a link to a review for it: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

I'm thinking this will be the replacement for my 15 yr. old Nikon 60mm 2.8 Micro when I get the itch...
Old October 17th, 2017, 10:29 PM

Choosing Sigma MACRO 70mm F2.8 EX DG will obviously a good choice. As it comes with full frame camera with the best focal length.
Old October 19th, 2017, 05:16 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

One thing to consider is the manufacturers like Canon have excellent service. One can get a lens repaired to specifications time and time again and the workmanship is reliable. Sigma has brilliant lenses too at good prices, but their service doesn't have the same reputation. I personally don't see the need for new sigma lenses, where I can get used Cano. Lenses and have them rebuilt or rent fabulous lenses for a shoot and return them.

But to I like the Sigma fisheyes!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old October 19th, 2017, 11:17 PM

Sigma also makes some unique lenses and some high performance primes. Actually, in the past years they appear to have shifted their priorities towards premium lenses.
Old October 20th, 2017, 04:57 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
Sigma also makes some unique lenses and some high performance primes. Actually, in the past years they appear to have shifted their priorities towards premium lenses.
That's true. The art lenses are well regarded. Have you heard anything recently about their service. Will Thompson won't touch them anymore because of bad repair experience. But he bears grudges! I would love to hear that they have updated their repair just as they have improved their lenses!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.