Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Camera Discussion > Nikon Mount DSLR's

Old September 5th, 2009, 03:16 PM

Default canon eos or nikon?

hi i currently have a canon EOS 400D and im pllanning on getting a new camera i was wondering weather i should get another canon or an nikon. any help would be great thanks
Old September 5th, 2009, 05:10 PM

You might read this for a start:)

Mike
Old September 6th, 2009, 08:13 AM
pro member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonie smith View Post
hi i currently have a canon EOS 400D and im pllanning on getting a new camera i was wondering weather i should get another canon or an nikon. any help would be great thanks
Hi Stonie,

It is hard to recommend a brand in general, there are several good ones you could choose from. Canon and Nikon are two large ones, but there are others as well.

I guess it all depends a bit on your aspirations as a photographer, and on perhaps a particular type of photography, e.g. macro, architecture, portraits, travel, etc. Some types of specialized lenses may be only found with a certain brand. Some camera's are built to withstand bad weather and dusty envornments, others are compact, while yet others offer convenience with a built-in flash.

Whatever you choose, just remember that the quality of your lenses will be a major factor in the final image quality, and lenses tend to be long term investments that can last many camera bodies. Most people also spend more money over time on their lenses than on a body, so look at a body as easier replacable than a good lens. Be careful to not pick a lens that does all, from macro to long tele and a zoom, they usually are a compromise in image quality and widest aperture. Lenses compatible with full-frame 35mm bodies will be a better long-term investment. Check some of the on-line lens comparison sites for actual image performance, especially on a full-frame body.

When you have decided which lens you want, then look at your budget how much you have left for a body to match. then compare a similar offering from both brands you prefer. Go to a brick and mortar shop and handle them. Which one feels the best for your size hands, and whether you can easily reach the controls. How bright and large is the viewfinder, how noisy is the camera? When you wear a pair of spectacles, check weather you can see all of the viewfinder info at the same time.

When you've more or less made up your mind, check with some actual users of that combination if they have anything they'd perfer instead of your anticipated setup (in the same budget range).

Then just go for it and do some actual shooting. When your investment in lenses is still modest, it's easier to switch brand without losing a lot of money, should you feel the need.

Cheers,
Bart
Old September 6th, 2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonie smith View Post
Why do you feel you need a new camera? How, and how often, do you use your 400D? What do you feel its shortcomings are?
Old September 6th, 2009, 02:33 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Tanaka View Post
Why do you feel you need a new camera? How, and how often, do you use your 400D? What do you feel its shortcomings are?
At last, the question!

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.