Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Film, Platinum, Polaroid & other Analog media

Old September 18th, 2018, 06:38 PM

Default The Only Real Reason for Large Format Cameras; Wollensak Verito and their ilk

Chatting with Asher just now and mentioned that if it were not for serious soft focus lenses, I would not bother with large format film cameras.

The dreamy soft focus interpretations that are only possible with the brute force of gigantic real estate; (ie. 5X7, 6.5X8.5, 8X10 film) and ancient soft focus portrait and pictorial leneses, are to me the final hold out.

These images to me at least (and in my world, I'm the only vote that counts) are a breath of fresh air in a sea of stupid-sharp-all-the-sameness. I'm weary of perfect pictures. Give me a piece of film with the dirt and grit and nose hairs left over from me cutting it to the size I needed for the camera.

On a summer evening at 6000 feet elevation where I live, if I'm alone, the potatoes go in the oven for 2 hours of baking, and I get in the survivor Ford and go looking for some kind of a back drop. Almost anything will do.

In this case, the 7" (178mm, Virginia) Verito is a bit undersized for the 5X7 film, which is why it gets to swirling out on the far edges. Yumm. Even better.

I have a hundred ancient lenses with a hundred different personalities, and honestly, that's the only reason I keep taking pictures.

Of course the Nikon D200 is handy for when I horse trade on ebay :~'))

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com
Old September 19th, 2018, 04:16 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
Chatting with Asher just now and mentioned that if it were not for serious soft focus lenses, I would not bother with large format film cameras.

The dreamy soft focus interpretations that are only possible with the brute force of gigantic real estate; (ie. 5X7, 6.5X8.5, 8X10 film) and ancient soft focus portrait and pictorial leneses, are to me the final hold out.

These images to me at least (and in my world, I'm the only vote that counts) are a breath of fresh air in a sea of stupid-sharp-all-the-sameness. I'm weary of perfect pictures. Give me a piece of film with the dirt and grit and nose hairs left over from me cutting it to the size I needed for the camera.

On a summer evening at 6000 feet elevation where I live, if I'm alone, the potatoes go in the oven for 2 hours of baking, and I get in the survivor Ford and go looking for some kind of a back drop. Almost anything will do.

In this case, the 7" (178mm, Virginia) Verito is a bit undersized for the 5X7 film, which is why it gets to swirling out on the far edges. Yumm. Even better.

I have a hundred ancient lenses with a hundred different personalities, and honestly, that's the only reason I keep taking pictures.

Of course the Nikon D200 is handy for when I horse trade on ebay :~'))

🧐

Agreed, Jim

The soft focus is exemplary and each lens has a unique way of drawing.

.........But surely, as important, the meditative process. This filters out distractions. So we focus creative energy to one or two sheets of film.

Can we add that as a reason for keeping LF alive?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old September 19th, 2018, 04:20 AM

...and maybe a 3rd reason.

We now have cut down our store of shots in a session from a hundred to a handful. Also we don’t need a computer.

Backups? Contact print another on reversal film.

Much more meaningful if done with discipline!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old September 19th, 2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
🧐

Agreed, Jim

The soft focus is exemplary and each lens has a unique way of drawing.

.........But surely, as important, the meditative process. This filters out distractions. So we focus creative energy to one or two sheets of film.

Can we add that as a reason for keeping LF alive?

Asher
You've got your 'R's' mixed up. It's not a religion, it's relaxation. I go through the process to relax. I find it very soothing to look at the world upside down on a glass. And it's sort of fun when you take the negs out of the jobo tank and look at what you've accomplished for the first time as you hang them up to dry. I always have a feeling of intrinsic value. When I'm dead, these silver images will remain ------------------- until someone takes them all to the landfill.

And yes, I struggle with medium format film cameras because honestly, I can't think of 12 things to take a picture of. So a sheet at a time with weeks in between is my normal.

Old September 19th, 2018, 08:10 AM

“Meditative” I never thought of religion here, just exactly as you have, relaxation!

Also escape! Once in the darkroom, no disturbance, isolation and privacy!

Asher

Old September 19th, 2018, 09:06 AM

Hi, Jim,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
When I'm dead, these silver images will remain ------------------- until someone takes them all to the landfill.
But the value in that work does not come from the immortality of the product, or even its valuation by others, now or later. It comes from its accomplishment. And it comes directly to YOU.

Or so it seems here at a lower elevation (4575 ft MSL).

Best regards,

Doug

He is no fool who parts with that which he cannot keep, when he is sure to be recompensed with that which he cannot lose.
-Philip Henry (1631-1696)
Old September 19th, 2018, 09:45 AM

Thanks Doug. Thanks Asher.