Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Studio, Portrait, Still Life, Lighting Equipment and Technique

Studio, Portrait, Still Life, Lighting Equipment and Technique Continuous and Strobe Lighting. (The Sun is considered continuous!) Great ideas are really ten a penny! Technique in setting up the subject is, of course, essential. However, the ability to bring out form, texture, tonality and color is where the skill in lighting provides all the keys to engraving one's ideas on the delivered picture.

Old November 16th, 2015, 12:34 PM

Default Dark portrait

From a series of portraits I did that are very dark and stylized. A swedish historian. Christopher O'Regan.
he was shot using two flash lights. One from behind and one in front that use the wall to reflect the light. I seldom use normal light modifiers nowadays. I like my wall =)

Per,

I was taken back for a moment with the quick glance and seeing a somber portrait the words "Regan" and "shot"! I was taken back to the attempted assassination of President Ronald Reagan by shots from Hinkley's gun!

Well this is indeed a dark and unusual picture. So what is your reason for this approach to portraiture. Also, could you explain your tiny little man figure on the left?

Asher

//http://www.pellepiano.com
Old November 16th, 2015, 03:19 PM

Hi, Asher,

Why is the source of this message unclear?

Perhaps Per is a digital ventriloquist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Ellström View Post
From a series of portraits I did that are very dark and stylized. A swedish historian. Christopher O'Regan.
he was shot using two flash lights. One from behind and one in front that use the wall to reflect the light. I seldom use normal light modifiers nowadays. I like my wall =)

Per,

I was taken back for a moment with the quick glance and seeing a somber portrait the words "Regan" and "shot"! I was taken back to the attempted assassination of President Ronald Reagan by shots from Hinkley's gun!
Hinckley.

Quote:
Well this is indeed a dark and unusual picture. So what is your reason for this approach to portraiture. Also, could you explain your tiny little man figure on the left?

Asher
I believe that is Per's logo - P-P, no?

Best regards,

Doug
Old November 16th, 2015, 04:34 PM

The tiny figure is my logo. My nick name is Pelle Piano ( from my musician days and I kept that ). So its a pair of P's with a "head" on to mimic a figure.
The reason I made these dark portraits is because I like to do find my own way. It started with a normal portrait. Then I made it almost black with some adjustment layers on top. And then I started to reveal parts of the image by painting in the layer masks. That way I could get a different look than the original.
Another portrait in the same style I posted some time ago. That one was the starting point.

//http://www.pellepiano.com

Last edited by Asher Kelman; November 17th, 2015 at 01:33 AM.
Old November 17th, 2015, 02:54 AM

I love every bit of this kind of work- Fabulous. Shadow or dark work is very hard to do. This seems to take the art to another kind of level.

Charlotte-
Old November 17th, 2015, 04:44 AM

Per, I agree with Charlotte that this is a particularly difficult genre.
The second image I find compelling, interesting and dark but I fear the first one misses the mark somehow.
I'm not quite sure why but I think it's one of two things, either his expression is too homely for a 'dark' image or he looks like someone who just used a cheap spray on tan.

Sorry to be so blunt but I can see the power of this style of shot from the second image.
Old November 17th, 2015, 07:31 AM

Hi, Per,

I second Andy's comments.

The second of the two portraits to me makes much better use of this approach.

Best regards,

Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy brown View Post
Per, I agree with Charlotte that this is a particularly difficult genre.
The second image I find compelling, interesting and dark but I fear the first one misses the mark somehow.
I'm not quite sure why but I think it's one of two things, either his expression is too homely for a 'dark' image or he looks like someone who just used a cheap spray on tan.

Sorry to be so blunt but I can see the power of this style of shot from the second image.