Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Studio, Portrait, Still Life, Lighting Equipment and Technique

Studio, Portrait, Still Life, Lighting Equipment and Technique Continuous and Strobe Lighting. (The Sun is considered continuous!) Great ideas are really ten a penny! Technique in setting up the subject is, of course, essential. However, the ability to bring out form, texture, tonality and color is where the skill in lighting provides all the keys to engraving one's ideas on the delivered picture.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 16th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Per Ellström Per Ellström is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 131
Default Dark portrait

From a series of portraits I did that are very dark and stylized. A swedish historian. Christopher O'Regan.
he was shot using two flash lights. One from behind and one in front that use the wall to reflect the light. I seldom use normal light modifiers nowadays. I like my wall =)



Per,

I was taken back for a moment with the quick glance and seeing a somber portrait the words "Regan" and "shot"! I was taken back to the attempted assassination of President Ronald Reagan by shots from Hinkley's gun!

Well this is indeed a dark and unusual picture. So what is your reason for this approach to portraiture. Also, could you explain your tiny little man figure on the left?

Asher
__________________
-Pelle Piano

//http://www.pellepiano.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old November 16th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Doug Kerr Doug Kerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 8,375
Default

Hi, Asher,

Why is the source of this message unclear?

Perhaps Per is a digital ventriloquist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Ellström View Post
From a series of portraits I did that are very dark and stylized. A swedish historian. Christopher O'Regan.
he was shot using two flash lights. One from behind and one in front that use the wall to reflect the light. I seldom use normal light modifiers nowadays. I like my wall =)



Per,

I was taken back for a moment with the quick glance and seeing a somber portrait the words "Regan" and "shot"! I was taken back to the attempted assassination of President Ronald Reagan by shots from Hinkley's gun!
Hinckley.

Quote:
Well this is indeed a dark and unusual picture. So what is your reason for this approach to portraiture. Also, could you explain your tiny little man figure on the left?

Asher
I believe that is Per's logo - P-P, no?

Best regards,

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 16th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Per Ellström Per Ellström is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 131
Default

The tiny figure is my logo. My nick name is Pelle Piano ( from my musician days and I kept that ). So its a pair of P's with a "head" on to mimic a figure.
The reason I made these dark portraits is because I like to do find my own way. It started with a normal portrait. Then I made it almost black with some adjustment layers on top. And then I started to reveal parts of the image by painting in the layer masks. That way I could get a different look than the original.
Another portrait in the same style I posted some time ago. That one was the starting point.

__________________
-Pelle Piano

//http://www.pellepiano.com

Last edited by Asher Kelman; November 17th, 2015 at 01:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old November 17th, 2015, 02:54 AM
charlotte thompson charlotte thompson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 2,681
Default

I love every bit of this kind of work- Fabulous. Shadow or dark work is very hard to do. This seems to take the art to another kind of level.

Charlotte-
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 17th, 2015, 04:44 AM
Andy brown Andy brown is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,094
Default

Per, I agree with Charlotte that this is a particularly difficult genre.
The second image I find compelling, interesting and dark but I fear the first one misses the mark somehow.
I'm not quite sure why but I think it's one of two things, either his expression is too homely for a 'dark' image or he looks like someone who just used a cheap spray on tan.

Sorry to be so blunt but I can see the power of this style of shot from the second image.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 17th, 2015, 07:31 AM
Doug Kerr Doug Kerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 8,375
Default

Hi, Per,

I second Andy's comments.

The second of the two portraits to me makes much better use of this approach.

Best regards,

Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy brown View Post
Per, I agree with Charlotte that this is a particularly difficult genre.
The second image I find compelling, interesting and dark but I fear the first one misses the mark somehow.
I'm not quite sure why but I think it's one of two things, either his expression is too homely for a 'dark' image or he looks like someone who just used a cheap spray on tan.

Sorry to be so blunt but I can see the power of this style of shot from the second image.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intersting portrait lens from Lensbaby Doug Kerr Lenses: DSLR and Rangefinder, MF adaptions to 35mm such Zoerk 8 April 9th, 2015 12:02 AM
Challenge: "The Cherished Portrait of a Child" 6yrs-16yrs Studio lit. Post your best! Asher Kelman Studio, Portrait, Still Life, Lighting Equipment and Technique 35 August 1st, 2014 09:37 AM
Portrait Antonio Correia Layback Cafe 10 February 17th, 2014 09:04 AM
Peyton Rae Portrait Work charlotte thompson Portrait in Natural Light Especially! 3 June 16th, 2011 02:05 PM
In Perspective Planet: Casual portrait of a friend Michael Nagel Portrait in Natural Light Especially! 2 April 25th, 2011 02:13 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:29 PM.


Posting images or text grants license to OPF, yet © of such remain with its creator. Still, all assembled discussion © 2006-2017 Asher Kelman (all rights reserved) Posts with new theme or unusual image might be moved/copied to a new thread!