Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Studio, Portrait, Still Life, Lighting Equipment and Technique

Studio, Portrait, Still Life, Lighting Equipment and Technique Continuous and Strobe Lighting. (The Sun is considered continuous!) Great ideas are really ten a penny! Technique in setting up the subject is, of course, essential. However, the ability to bring out form, texture, tonality and color is where the skill in lighting provides all the keys to engraving one's ideas on the delivered picture.

Old July 9th, 2015, 11:41 AM

Default choir leaders

Hi,

I have the pleasure to photograph the gigs of a Youth choir in our region here, concerts and competitions ...
I'd like to show you some quite interesting studies of different choirleaders ...

Old July 9th, 2015, 12:57 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Great isolation of each selected performer while maintaining context!

Lucky to have Sir Elton John in the 3rd shot, LOL!

Where is this and do you use a sound blimp to muffle the shutter?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old July 9th, 2015, 01:12 PM

Hi Asher

all shots except "Elton" were taken nearby where I live, in Feldkirch, Austria during a competition for choirs.
"Elton" was shot during a Holy Mess in our local church.
All photos taken with the 5D Mark III in silent mode.
Old July 9th, 2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Plattner View Post
Hi Asher

all shots except "Elton" were taken nearby where I live, in Feldkirch, Austria during a competition for choirs.
"Elton" was shot during a Holy Mess in our local church.
All photos taken with the 5D Mark III in silent mode.
Wolfgang,

What exactly happens in "silent mode"? Just delaying the slap of the mirror until the music is over or one can take a sequencevof shots, or at intervals without disturbing anyone?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old July 9th, 2015, 01:58 PM

Hi
the silent mode works with a very low shutternoise, not without noise, but very silent.
But still, especially during very silent parts of music you have to be very sensitiv to get the moment for the shot.
But most of the time I get the necessary distance for not to disturb the singers by using the 24-105 or the 200mm lens.
Old July 9th, 2015, 07:23 PM

Awesome set of images nice consistent tones and really like the compositions as well.
Old July 9th, 2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lemon View Post
Awesome set of images nice consistent tones and really like the compositions as well.
James,

"Consistent tones"! You are so right! I felt that comment but couldn't articulate it so well!

Asher

Old July 9th, 2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Plattner View Post
Hi,

I have the pleasure to photograph the gigs of a Youth choir in our region here, concerts and competitions ...
I'd like to show you some quite interesting studies of different choirleaders ...

Wolfgang,

For a moment, I was so taken by the beautiful B&W presentation that I unconsciously "switched" your camera in my mind from the Canon 5D III to the Fujifilm XE II which has amazing in camera processing!

So how did you arrive at this result?

Asher

Old July 9th, 2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
James,

"Consistent tones"! You are so right! I felt that comment but couldn't articulate it so well!

Asher
Hi Asher

Yes indeed very lively,vivid and expressive feel... Really nice work!

James
Old July 13th, 2015, 01:28 AM

Hi Asher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Wolfgang,

For a moment, I was so taken by the beautiful B&W presentation that I unconsciously "switched" your camera in my mind from the Canon 5D III to the Fujifilm XE II which has amazing in camera processing!

So how did you arrive at this result?

Asher
Well, it's all raw, developed in C1 and using AlienSkin to turn into bw ...
Old July 13th, 2015, 08:52 PM

Hmm, I must try that! I used to use Alien Skin many years back. Have you ever compared it to Nik Silver Effex Pro? Anyway, I do like your result. The consistent "look" has allowed us to enter into an imaginary world of B&W that is, like a business organization, or an ancient religion, so internally consistent, that it is, once you enter within, for all intents and purposes, absolutely truthful and real! Your processing has pulled us in in this way and I really believe I have been, there too, listening to the choirs and concerned that my camera might disturb them!

Great job!

Asher

Old July 14th, 2015, 12:54 AM

Hi Asher

I know Silver Efex too, but what I like about AlienSkin ist the direct connection to a filmbrand, not, as SE does, to an impression or a developing goal ... except the graduated fog filter, that one is a favorite for me in SE.
And AlienSkin gives you a lot more of detailed and subtle possibilities to develope the file.
Old July 14th, 2015, 01:59 AM

Thanks for that info, Wolfgang. That's good to know!

Asher