Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Architectural - Industrial

Old July 2nd, 2014, 11:00 AM

Default Agricultural - Industrial

I decided to take the back roads through the northern Illinois bean and corn fields on the way to a destination early this morning. The overcast looked as if it might begin to break up and when that happens, you never know when the light from the heavens effect might appear. Such light seems to show up when there's no subject to go with it, or the other way around. You know how it goes.

Anyway, I wound up with a sort of interesting sky and an it-will-have-to-do sort of subject.

Power Transmission

Funny thing about photography: often what attracts the eye to a scene isn't what is visible, but rather the sounds and movements of the moment. In this case, the clatter of corn leaves in the wind and the clouds moving quickly in different directions at different altitudes. The still image simply doesn't cut it in such situations. Maybe it's time to get serious about learning video. Maybe.

Taken with my trusty old 90mm ts-e lens.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 11:11 AM

Hi, Tom,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Robbins View Post
Funny thing about photography: often what attracts the eye to a scene isn't what is visible, but rather the sounds and movements of the moment. In this case, the clatter of corn leaves in the wind and the clouds moving quickly in different directions at different altitudes. The still image simply doesn't cut it in such situations. Maybe it's time to get serious about learning video. Maybe.
Yes, and in this case, those are not wholly left behind in this "still visual only" medium.

Best regards,

Doug
Old July 3rd, 2014, 11:23 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Robbins View Post
I decided to take the back roads through the northern Illinois bean and corn fields on the way to a destination early this morning. The overcast looked as if it might begin to break up and when that happens, you never know when the light from the heavens effect might appear. Such light seems to show up when there's no subject to go with it, or the other way around. You know how it goes.

Anyway, I wound up with a sort of interesting sky and an it-will-have-to-do sort of subject.

Taken with my trusty old 90mm ts-e lens.

Power Transmission

Tom,

A suggestion - perhaps taking the picture from just behind some swaying corn would add the esthetic you find missing.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 01:27 PM

Good idea, Asher! In this instance I wanted to keep detail in the of the bright sky at the left side of the horizon, and the shutter speed required for that meant the corn field wound up underexposed. A manual, or HDR, blend of multiple exposure are great ways around the dynamic range limitation, but these days I prefer the single shot approach.

I must be getting lazy with the passage of years, man.
Old July 4th, 2014, 01:37 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Thanks for being sporting and considering my suggestion!

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.