Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Wedding and Event

Old October 7th, 2010, 10:51 PM

Default A Bride shot in nearly the worst lighting!

OK, Here is one of mine!

"Galleries don't hang DxO charts" David Hull
Old October 8th, 2010, 12:49 AM

Default Old

Noon time light will blow the whites.....Will you might try running that through Lightroom now. I guess that is two or three years old. Maybe more. I remember when you went out to second with Michael.
Old October 8th, 2010, 01:01 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Rappaport View Post
Noon time light will blow the whites.....Will you might try running that through Lightroom now. I guess that is two or three years old. Maybe more. I remember when you went out to second with Michael.

Why disclose it's old! Was it film? There appears a ring on the lateral aspect of her right check. Is that a jpg artifact?

I am delighted to see this, although I don't immediately have problems with the lighting. If was doing weddings now I'd consider a Fuji for it's dynamic range. I think one could throw any light at it and it would cover it fine!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old October 8th, 2010, 09:22 AM

Default ring

Asher,

The bride is not as young as it might appear. That ring AFAIK is a natural feature. As far as white dresses go as a wedding photographer - it's not ok to blow out the white dress. Dress detail is critical.
Old October 8th, 2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Rappaport View Post
As far as white dresses go as a wedding photographer - it's not ok to blow out the white dress. Dress detail is critical.
That's why I suggested a Fuji!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:25 AM

Hi, Asher,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
If was doing weddings now I'd consider a Fuji for it's dynamic range. I think one could throw any light at it and it would cover it fine!
I am glad to see you call to mind Fuji's ingenious sensor design for attaining enlarged dynamic range.

I become aware of it a number of years ago when my main digital camera was a Fujifilm S602 (not one that used that sensor scheme) and thus I spent a lot of time in Fuji-oriented forums.

I have not kept up with how that scheme is represented in Fuji's current product line.

Best regards,

Doug
Old October 8th, 2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kerr View Post
Hi, Asher,

I am glad to see you call to mind Fuji's ingenious sensor design for attaining enlarged dynamic range.

I become aware of it a number of years ago when my main digital camera was a Fujifilm S602 (not one that used that sensor scheme) and thus I spent a lot of time in Fuji-oriented forums.

I have not kept up with how that scheme is represented in Fuji's current product line.

Best regards,

Doug
I have heard from wedding photographers who have used the Fuji DSLR's that the sensor design really does help get the detail in the dress and veil as well as the grooms black suit and the variations in blackness of the buttons, lapel and seams.

What's a paradox to me is that families of the bride and groom rave over pictures where I can see the dress has no details. They look at the emotions and can seem oblivious to quality.

Asher

Old November 9th, 2010, 08:00 PM

"A Bride shot in nearly the worst lighting!"

Sounds tragic! Context is everything, eh?
Old November 9th, 2010, 09:02 PM

Forgive me for being facetious but I'd like to re-route the discussion to 'worst bride shot in nearly good light'.
Sorry, I'll pull my head in soon.
Old November 10th, 2010, 12:17 AM

Who says the dress is blown anyway? If you're seeing a blown dress, your monitor is out...

The dress measures in PS mostly around RGB 242 (precisely where you want the limit of printable white) and, yes, the blue channel only is a wee bit clipped in places. But that's not a problem. Certainly lots of recoverable and printable detail there.

The light is unflattering because its not directional. But it's not horrid... her expression isn't exactly unproblematic, though, and neither is the composition, which is very much a snapshot.

As for "never" showing a blown dress--balderdash. Expression over perfection, I say :) I also certainly don't need or want to scope out locations days in advance; I know enough about light to deal with what gets thrown my way, and plans just ruin the spontaneity of the shoot. That doesn't mean I'm unprepared--far from it... but preparation doesn't extend to extra time on location IMO except in very special circumstances.

Veejay--you're not familiar, clearly, with Fuji's pro SLRs, which were very good indeed and far from a a point and shoot. "Internetz" indeed, my friend, you could have Googled before you spoke. You certainly owe Asher an apology.

Having said that, and despite DxO's charts, I've never been very impressed with their ability to hold highlights, in particular... especially since you need to compress them for print anyway.
Old November 10th, 2010, 12:53 PM

Journalism class example of "Cincinnati Enquirer" caption style:

Bride shot
in nearly worst 
 possible lighting

in public park
near Los Angeles

Doug
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:03 AM

I've transferred posts that were "odd" to our coral for such things.

Just cleaning up. Anyone who objects feel free to PM me.

Asher

Old November 12th, 2010, 02:52 AM

Oh drats!

I am such a slow reader, I always miss the fun stuff.

But one does have to keep the house clean.
Old November 12th, 2010, 04:09 PM

I had a chance to see some of this :

I don't think I'd ever respond to a post like that... I don't do very many weddings so I'd be quite limited to any advice I would have. But, it most certainly wouldn't be so arrogantly displayed if I had anything.

I should maybe point out ; this coworker was also a fellow photographer. Shot for years and years before I was, but he never let anyone see his stuff so.. Idk about that

To the OP Will : I'm not sure why he went after you like you did something intentionally to him : that was his usual reaction when things didn't go his way / didn't agree with someone. Part of the reason he go let go in the first place actually...
sigma 28mm M af-360gfz
Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:18 AM

Will, I hope you don't mind, but I had a play with the image. I can post my play if you want. It looks like this is salvageable to me. I used Kevin Kubota's image tools - Fill Flash to lighten her face a bit and Smokeless burn to try and bring back some dress detail Then I converted to a mocha black and white. It became a totally different image. Do you have the RAW file to work with?
Old January 22nd, 2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Rester View Post
Do you have the RAW file to work with?
Yes.

-----------------------------------------

"Galleries don't hang DxO charts" David Hull
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Thompson View Post
OK, Here is one of mine!

I would have opened up the lens a little bit. I don't think the dress is blown out badly. You should see my beach wedding photos taken around noon under the crazy Florida sun...:)
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Haring View Post
I would have opened up the lens a little bit. I don't think the dress is blown out badly. You should see my beach wedding photos taken around noon under the crazy Florida sun...:)
Glad to see Will's picture addressed.

Otto,

Let me share with you this. I feel that most families have no idea of blown out dresses. They do not look to see if the pattern on a veil is discernible. A black tuxedo with no details between the silk of the lapels and the collar is accepted as perfectly wonderful!

We cringe!

Asher